Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
And how do we get rid of that annoying MLS pass thing.
Ive no interest in it I dont want it there.

And where, UK based, is iPlayer on the other apps and channels - can that list not be edited?
I presume you mean adding the ability to select what shows and does not show would be a nice feature. I agree. I have no interest in the sports selections. Also, why show streaming services that you don't subscribe to and don't plan to? OK advertising is great, but shutting off so you don't see it any more is greater

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I presume you mean adding the ability to select what shows and does not show would be a nice feature. I agree. I have no interest in the sports selections. Also, why show streaming services that you don't subscribe to and don't plan to? OK advertising is great, but shutting off so you don't see it any more is greater
exactly.

Certainly dont include an option for services you dont subscribe to - such as the MLS pass.
But also allow you tho choose the ones you do, and want to see.

This side bar menu needs to be customisable.

Its actually a GOOD think to get visibility of one service in its own menu now whereas before it was all over the place.

It does make me wish that NETFLIX played nice.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
First, I do prefer the old interface better, but I hardly think the new one is as bad as apparently some do. In fact the new interface is more in line with Prime, Max and other service, still like old interface better.

My pet peeve is more addressed at apps that aren't updated with a proper set of features. One example:

There is a tap to zoom feature under video. Turn it on and a double tap on remote zooms AppleTv 16:9 videos to show on full screen. Netflix and Max do not support this feature - boo. Instead, I have to use vertical zoom on my TV, which does not have a per app setting, so it is a pain. But why have a 4k TV and only use a portion of it? Some apps like Max do not support the standard video positioning scroll on the bottom of the screen. I'm OK if they had something better, but their selection is terrible. it does not support Info, it does not support subtitling and audio selections, like enhanced dialog and reduce loud sounds. So worse, time to upgrade your software Max.

Finally, as a total great suggestion across all apps, how about video profiles to change color, contrast, zoom, detail, etc, like smart TVs? Same for audio profiles. Only settings currently are enhanced dialog and reduce loud sounds. How about EQ profiles including movie genre? I know people have been asking for this for awhile - it remains a good request.

Sorry folks, just trying to remain positive, it feels better when I do

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
First, I do prefer the old interface better, but I hardly think the new one is as bad as apparently some do. In fact the new interface is more in line with Prime, Max and other service, still like old interface better.

My pet peeve is more addressed at apps that aren't updated with a proper set of features. One example:

There is a tap to zoom feature under video. Turn it on and a double tap on remote zooms AppleTv 16:9 videos to show on full screen. Netflix and Max do not support this feature - boo. Instead, I have to use vertical zoom on my TV, which does not have a per app setting, so it is a pain. But why have a 4k TV and only use a portion of it? Some apps like Max do not support the standard video positioning scroll on the bottom of the screen. I'm OK if they had something better, but their selection is terrible. it does not support Info, it does not support subtitling and audio selections, like enhanced dialog and reduce loud sounds. So worse, time to upgrade your software Max.

Finally, as a total great suggestion across all apps, how about video profiles to change color, contrast, zoom, detail, etc, like smart TVs? Same for audio profiles. Only settings currently are enhanced dialog and reduce loud sounds. How about EQ profiles including movie genre? I know people have been asking for this for awhile - it remains a good request.

Sorry folks, just trying to remain positive, it feels better when I do
I may be wrong but tap to zoom only works with anamorphic video.

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
So... now that the Movies and TV Shows apps are useless on Apple TV in tvOS 17.2, when will we get the option to DELETE them? If the apps are useless, I don't want them hogging prime real estate.

Also: Boo on the loss of my Wish List. Apple, this is not acceptable. We need a cross-platform wish list that extends across tvOS *and* iOS/iPadOS.
there used to be a time with the older Apple TV (up to third get) that we were able to hide single system apps....not to delete them, but at least to hide them.
Unfortunately right now we are stuck with them either we use them or not :/

Reactions: Javabird

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
reading through this, I'm glad I turned "automatic updates" off yesterday. and I think first time ever I saw a notification that a new OS is available last night ... will stay on 17.1 for the time being.
Same here. I normally update my software as soon as I see it announced on MacRumors, but I intentionally avoided this one. All auto updates are off on my Apple devices, and yet each of them has told me that a new update is available.

When I turned on the Apple TV box this morning, there was a big disclaimer asking me to install the update now or later, with no “never” option. I hope the “later” option can mean never if we want.

Apple must really want to shut down those iTunes storefronts ASAP. Not if I can help delay it, though. I really don’t like the TV app on Apple TV. The TV app has been the way to access your library for a while on mobile devices, but on Apple TV, I much prefer to access my library through the iTunes storefront apps. If the interface in the TV app was better, I wouldn’t mind this change at all, though.

DENZIE

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2007
put them at the bottom of your screen, and don’t scroll to the bottom - cos you don’t need to anyway

Reactions: AdamInKent

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
I just updated and I think I’m the Outlier. I only use the Apple TV app to navigate to the movies I “own” in iTunes. So to me instead of navigating at the top, it’s now on the left hand side. And the movie tiles are now smaller. Only change ive noticed.

i also rip all my Blu-ray’s to my NAS. And Infuse looks the same, so that’s good I guess.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I remember when Apple was know for innovative technology that just worked. Now all that anyone cares about is a stock price. Microsoft is up huge this year too. Apple is nothing different, nothing special anymore. I would fire Tim Cook in a heartbeat. He's the Steve Ballmer of Apple.
I wouldn’t fire him in a heartbeat, but I’d say it’s time for someone new with fresh ideas to step in at this point. Obviously Tim Cook is keeping the business very successful financially with brilliant ideas like removing the charging block from the iPhone box and explaining that it’s for the environment. Apple’s spin department is top notch, and people still love their products and software because the alternatives suck by comparison.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
LOL. this again. May I remind you, that Apple is one of the most successful companies in history. That is his job and Job well done.
Ezy pezy, standing on the shoulders of a giant: ”Jobs well done”, hehe. Cook's an abacus master, nothing more. The market and shareholders may be satisfied, but I'm not. We'll see if Apple's saga will continue. Or if it will go Nokia some day.

OnT, I haven't used the TV app, didn't like the integration of apps even from the start.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I remember when Apple was know for innovative technology that just worked. Now all that anyone cares about is a stock price. Microsoft is up huge this year too. Apple is nothing different, nothing special anymore. I would fire Tim Cook in a heartbeat. He's the Steve Ballmer of Apple.

Clearly the CEO's primary responsibility is to the shareholders... however, product innovation and meeting the needs of the customer are equally important. Without the widgets that consumers want to own, market share drops, stock price drops and the shareholders are not well served. A successful company will create widgets that consumers want and are willing to pay for, which causes market share and profits to rise. The question is one of "the chicken or the egg". Build widgets, manage the financial end and the rest takes care of itself... trying to manage a company solely from the shareholder perspective cannot be successful, as the stable of products shrink, innovation dies and all of that affects sales which affects market share, profits and stock pricing.

Apple has always been very good selling hype. Jobs was the master of creating hype around innovative products that made everyone want one. Cook is not so much about creating innovative products as much as just rehashing old products and trying the spin them as innovative. Buzzwords like "amazing" ring hollow more often than not.

In my experience with Apple, I see technology that no longer "just works". Apple continues to focus on "services" that are workable, but certainly not innovative (how many companies have products for streaming video and music, or offer online storage options)... and Apple has a recent propensity to raise prices for those "services" without increasing the value of same.

Reactions: parameter

dg1974

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2023
Italy
I wish I could sort movies like I can do on the Mac: by release year (descending) and title.
it’s insane that there is only “recent purchased” and “alphabetical”…
(I don’t count the “genres“ since their are so broken).

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I wish I could sort movies like I can do on the Mac: by release year (descending) and title.
it’s insane that there is only “recent purchased” and “alphabetical”…
(I don’t count the “genres“ since their are so broken).
their what are so broken?

JUMA55

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
iTunes is still a much better program than the new ones for buying music, movies and TV shows. I have a 2012 Mac mini running High Sierra, and I use its iTunes for all purchases.
I agree. And I do exactly the same thing with the same machine as yours.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
I hope people are using the below as well, as just complaining on here won't do ****, though Apple likely won't do anything to be fair.

I just submitted feedback after trying the new TVOS 17.2 and new AppleTV app for a couple days. I hate it. TVOS was never perfect but now it just makes me mad. And it seems like it has to be rebooted nearly every day because it fails to load content. https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-tv/

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I'm just annoyed that the home button now changed...and I have no idea how it is supposed to work now. If you are in the TV app...it opens a side menu...sometimes? And that menu has your "apps" but within the TV app. Hit the home button again to actually go home.

What is the point of the side menu?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.