Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
It's an ad for an Apple service so of course not.
yep - you are right.

In the UK im still irritated that BBC iPlayer is missing from Apps and Channels when it is fully integrated into up next etc....
Doesnt however surprise me that if the BBC needed to make a change even a while ago that ensured this worked that they wouldn't have been bothered to do so.

Lee_Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2020
yep - you are right.

In the UK im still irritated that BBC iPlayer is missing from Apps and Channels when it is fully integrated into up next etc....
Doesnt however surprise me that if the BBC needed to make a change even a while ago that ensured this worked that they wouldn't have been bothered to do so.
And that's the problem with the up next list. Just starts adding programmes I have no interest in, but mainly all the local BBC news 3-4 times per day as I typically watch the national 6pm news in iPlayer. I'm sure they'll update the app to appear in the side menu but there needs to be more control over it. I've personally turned all apps on to hide and cleared the play history which reset the up next. If the apps are unlinked to the Apple servers this should give the user the control to manage some sort of wish/play list without random history or suggested programmes to watch, I hope.

What I don't particularly like the grouping of apps to be fair. If I wish to watch something on iPlayer I'll go into the app and do what I want to do, same with any of the streaming apps. You don't go to the ATV app to watching something on Netflix, or Paramount etc. It's like going to Google and searching Bing from Google.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
And that's the problem with the up next list. Just starts adding programmes I have no interest in, but mainly all the local BBC news 3-4 times per day as I typically watch the national 6pm news in iPlayer. I'm sure they'll update the app to appear in the side menu but there needs to be more control over it. I've personally turned all apps on to hide and cleared the play history which reset the up next. If the apps are unlinked to the Apple servers this should give the user the control to manage some sort of wish/play list without random history or suggested programmes to watch, I hope.

What I don't particularly like the grouping of apps to be fair. If I wish to watch something on iPlayer I'll go into the app and do what I want to do, same with any of the streaming apps. You don't go to the ATV app to watching something on Netflix, or Paramount etc. It's like going to Google and searching Bing from Google.
see, now I love the up next.... its enabled me to ditch expensive Sky subscriptions and works (mostly) brilliantly as my "PVR' without ever having to remember to set a record reminder... its just there and better still when a new episode of something appears even years later as is often the case or on another streaming service then it just appears.

It's not perfect and yes, I appreciate what you are saying - whenever you start to watch something... anything... from any of the linked apps (i.e. all apart from Netflix) it will by default add the show to your up next.

There are things that Apple could do to alleviate this. The easiest thing is allow you to watch content without automatically adding it to your up next. It would also be useful to get the ability to review your entire up next list somewhere but thats not possible. A quick setting to 'automatically add shows to up next' would be best.

The easiest thing is just to remember when you watch something thats only 'casual viewing' to stop before the end titles.. or skip back 10 minutes with a quick Siri command when you finish the show... then on your up next list just long press and 'remove from up next'. Yes it's a faff.

Reactions: Lee_Mac

Lee_Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2020
I only have Sky for F1 these days. Everything else we watch via ATV. I don't actually watch much TV stuff, just films really. Having all the apps unlinked has Brough an element of a wish list back, and it doesn't look as cluttered with recommended content. I'll live with it on my second 4K box for now, my other 17.1 4K box is staying on that OS for now.
I guess we can take heart that it appears Apple have listened to the feedback. I'm now hoping for a wish list section on the Home Screen. The ability to add shows/films from all the linked apps would actually make sense.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I only have Sky for F1 these days. Everything else we watch via ATV. I don't actually watch much TV stuff, just films really. Having all the apps unlinked has Brough an element of a wish list back, and it doesn't look as cluttered with recommended content. I'll live with it on my second 4K box for now, my other 17.1 4K box is staying on that OS for now.
I guess we can take heart that it appears Apple have listened to the feedback. I'm now hoping for a wish list section on the Home Screen. The ability to add shows/films from all the linked apps would actually make sense.
Can I just ask... as someone who never used the wish list functionality..

whats the difference between the wish list and the up next?

Whenever a new Movie appeared on iTunes (in the old movies app) which I wanted to watch... just not yet... I simply added went into the TV app, and added it to my up next. There it stays.. sometimes for months. When it is available to rent the status changes on the up next list to alert you to the fact you can rent it now.... or you can wait longer until it appears on Prime, Now, Paramount+, Disney+ etc... at which point its clear on the up next list its available to watch now.

My up next list always has a number of movies on it.. but they mostly hang around the 'right hand side' of the row - until they change status and then they move left.. and when something is available to watch 'for free' i.e.. on one of my subscribed apps - it jumps to the head of the queue. This works great for me.

So, isnt up next just a more integrated version of the wish list?

Lee_Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2020

Whenever a new Movie appeared on iTunes (in the old movies app) which I wanted to watch... just not yet... I simply added went into the TV app, and added it to my up next. There it stays.. sometimes for months. When it is available to rent the status changes on the up next list to alert you to the fact you can rent it now.... or you can wait longer until it appears on Prime, Now, Paramount+, Disney+ etc... at which point its clear on the up next list its available to watch now.

My up next list always has a number of movies on it.. but they mostly hang around the 'right hand side' of the row - until they change status and then they move left.. and when something is available to watch 'for free' i.e.. on one of my subscribed apps - it jumps to the head of the queue. This works great for me.

This is from someone who never uses the ATV app, other than for ATV+ content. We’ve used the wish list in the Movies iTunes app for, I don’t know, 13/14 years. Logical you browse and save your bookmarks in the single app, no need to flick over and add it to the play next. Of course this is why Apple are now pushing everyone into the ATV app and that’s fine, saves confusion.
The main thing I dislike The ATV app is the clutter, especially now they’ve mixed films in with TV shows. Too much distraction when trying to pick something specific. I hate video playing when opening the home page, get sick of seeing the same sequence with no option to toggle that off. It’s all got a bit Netflix like, but even they have seprerate section for movies, as do all the other streamings I can think of. All this genuinely puts me off browsing for movies as I have no interest in TV shows really.

Reactions: seanrt

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
This is from someone who never uses the ATV app, other than for ATV+ content. We’ve used the wish list in the Movies iTunes app for, I don’t know, 13/14 years. Logical you browse and save your bookmarks in the single app, no need to flick over and add it to the play next. Of course this is why Apple are now pushing everyone into the ATV app and that’s fine, saves confusion.
The main thing I dislike The ATV app is the clutter, especially now they’ve mixed films in with TV shows. Too much distraction when trying to pick something specific. I hate video playing when opening the home page, get sick of seeing the same sequence with no option to toggle that off. It’s all got a bit Netflix like, but even they have seprerate section for movies, as do all the other streamings I can think of. All this genuinely puts me off browsing for movies as I have no interest in TV shows really.
You are quite right on all that.

I would urge you to give it a go as really they have removed the other options now.

About a year ago the up next was relegated to 'underneath ads' - which to be fair to Apple arent only AppleTV stuff... but the autoplay trailers are annoying. I have turned off the 'sound' with the trailers so that makes things slightly more bearable - add to that whenever I go into the app Im used to an immediate single swipe down which removes the trailers line and puts the up next at the top where I want it.

You can also make use of the top shelf function with the TV app - putting it there and selecting 'up next' as the display option gives you a nice, uncluttered view of your up next without even going into the TV app. The only downside is that you have no additional controls apart from 'play'.

I agree, this latest iteration does make it impossible to filter TV shows but if you use SIRI to search for what you want it makes life easier and also using the 'channels and apps' filters in the new side menu also narrow things down a lot. Of course theres nothing forcing you to use the TV app you can still discover content filtered however you like im the individual apps themselves which might be the better option and just use the up next list to keep track of progress across multiple apps.

I strongly suspect apple will be making changes here based on this type of feedback and I think they will certainly reintroduce the TV shows and Movies filter options.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
tvOS is a complete disaster. Apple hasn't got a clue how its customers use its own products. They couldn't do worse if they didn't care at all, which shows that they don't.
Honest and serious question: Why are you here and why do you use Apple products? Every post is hating and complaining about how bad Apple is... granted, they have their warts - and plenty of them... but I honestly don't remember you posting anything remotely positive about any Apple kit... so, seriously, why?

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Okay, I just thought of a conspiracy theory idea that maybe Apple will optimize the movie viewing experience for those using VisionOS via the Apple Vision Pro, pushing the serious Apple TV users over to a Vision Pro (or non-Pro variant someday). I’m curious how the movie library appears on VisionOS, since several movies will offer a special 3D presentation.

I would have to imagine Apple would need to make it intuitive for a user to identify if a movie is HD, 4K and/or 3D straight from one’s library, instead of having to search for it in the store first to find that info, even when you already own it. Also, some might want to watch it in 2D in their Vision Pro, so they might add 3D as an option via a menu.

But I do also anticipate that Apple will improve the TV app over time for the Apple TV with software updates. Many enthusiasts would prefer to watch their content via their own home theater equipment, not just a Vision Pro, since it’s more customizable and easier to watch in a group.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Honest and serious question: Why are you here and why do you use Apple products? Every post is hating and complaining about how bad Apple is... granted, they have their warts - and plenty of them... but I honestly don't remember you posting anything remotely positive about any Apple kit... so, seriously, why?
He obviously doesnt always look on the bright side of life......

Baseiseough

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2023
I’m sure some will say you’re overreacting, but I’m with you on this. Maybe we’re both overreacting, but I definitely think Apple needs to do a lot to improve the TV app, and should’ve never forced those who have updated to 17.2 to use it exclusively.

Luckily, I’ve held off updating my OS until I’ve seen solid improvements to the TV app.
Like you, I haven't updated both my Apple TVs to 17.2. To me, merging movies and tv shows in the store is a mistake and makes the experience feel like a mess.

Also, the impossibility to customize the sidebar makes for a less than pleasant user experience. I don't want to have sports and MLS there since I don't watch this content and don't want to scroll above them every time with the remote. On a computer or a touch device, it's not as bad since you can go directly to what you want to select, but, with the remote, you have to go over them and it's annoying (but it's most probably what Apple wants). Apple will probably keep adding all the future sports leagues they strike a deal with like F1, NBA or NHL to the sidebar too so we can have fun scrolling over them also.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Like you, I haven't updated both my Apple TVs to 17.2. To me, merging movies and tv shows in the store is a mistake and makes the experience feel like a mess.

Also, the impossibility to customize the sidebar makes for a less than pleasant user experience. I don't want to have sports and MLS there since I don't watch this content and don't want to scroll above them every time with the remote. On a computer or a touch device, it's not as bad since you can go directly to what you want to select, but, with the remote, you have to go over them and it's annoying (but it's most probably what Apple wants). Apple will probably keep adding all the future sports leagues they strike a deal with like F1, NBA or NHL to the sidebar too so we can have fun scrolling over them also.
As a small update, you are now able to remove 'apps and channels' from the bottom half of the sidebar.
Long press on one, and you have the option to hide.

I just wish you could do the same with the MLS pass. I can understand apple putting their stuff 'above the line' and ive no real issue with AppleTV+ appearing there - its their software after all - but Im sure they realise that that MLS pass thing should really be relegated down under the line with other apps and channels with the ability for us to hide it too.

In the UK, still no sign of iPlayer.

For what it's worth you may as well update - its not going anywhere and there are always new things and security enhancements you are missing out on. its relatively easy to adapt in the new store you just have to use siri a bit more.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream

"Up Next" implies that something will be watched next, or very soon. I would never put anything in "Up Next" unless I owned it or at least had immediate access to it.

The Wish List is for items that I would like to buy at some point, but not now. Maybe I am waiting for them to go on sale.

Conflating these two concepts is a bad call by Apple.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
"Up Next" implies that something will be watched next, or very soon. I would never put anything in "Up Next" unless I owned it or at least had immediate access to it.

The Wish List is for items that I would like to buy at some point, but not now. Maybe I am waiting for them to go on sale.

Conflating these two concepts is a bad call by Apple.
Do you see my point though?

Change the way you see your 'up next' list - add things that you might want to purchase just the same way as before and just accept they will occupy the 'right hand side' of the list... with the added bonus that should they become available on any of your streaming platforms youll automatically be notified that its ready to watch.

Seems a win win to me.

My personal up next contains a handful of movies that I add the moment they appear in 'iTunes' of old.... and I would never rent, and rarely purchase them nowadays but inevitably they will eventually become available somewhere that I subscribe to. Their existence on my up next list is just to remind me that Ill watch it someday.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Do you see my point though?

Change the way you see your 'up next' list - add things that you might want to purchase just the same way as before and just accept they will occupy the 'right hand side' of the list... with the added bonus that should they become available on any of your streaming platforms youll automatically be notified that its ready to watch.

Seems a win win to me.

My personal up next contains a handful of movies that I add the moment they appear in 'iTunes' of old.... and I would never rent, and rarely purchase them nowadays but inevitably they will eventually become available somewhere that I subscribe to. Their existence on my up next list is just to remind me that Ill watch it someday.
No, that just doesn't make sense to me. I want two completely separate lists -- things I want to buy (when? don't know), and things I own / have access to and want to watch soon. Mixing them up is confusing.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
No, that just doesn't make sense to me. I want two completely separate lists -- things I want to buy (when? don't know), and things I own / have access to and want to watch soon. Mixing them up is confusing.
OK that's perfectly fair.

Just trying to help out with another perspective.

To me, the up next list ive always used in this way and I certainly dont lament the loss of the separate Movies and TV Shows apps given that they were always accessible from inside the TV app anyway and it made no sense to me to have them separated. Also I never used the Wishlist as I couldn't see the point of having 2 lists when ultimately its just a list of things I want to watch/see/purchase and it may as well all be in one place.

I certainly concede more work needs doing to enable a filtering of Movies and TV shows in the TV app.
Perhaps the up next list is too unwieldy and there should be filtering options for things that are available now vs things you have to buy/rent although to me that differentiation seems pointless and anything in the list (even the Wishlist) was available for immediate viewing regardless. Maybe a filter on up next for Movies or TV shows.... I dont know.

However, sadly it seems to me that in your case you need to make it make sense as possibly there is no going back. The Wishlist is not gone really but its now part and parcel of up next from now on.

santos.

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
A lot of people here still hung up on the wishlist, I don’t disagree, but how are you all viewing details of your purchases? It’s absolutely astonishing to me that you can no longer view resolution/atmos availability or browse similar titles, actors, or see ratings from your library. Clicking any of the titles just plays them and long press still does nothing, it feels so wrong.

Reactions: Lee_Mac and clayj

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
A lot of people here still hung up on the wishlist, I don’t disagree, but how are you all viewing details of your purchases? It’s absolutely astonishing to me that you can no longer view resolution/atmos availability or browse similar titles, actors, or see ratings from your library. Clicking any of the titles just plays them and long press still does nothing, it feels so wrong.
this seems to me a bit of an oversight from Apple and something that should be fed back.

In the meantime, go to your library and instead of selecting the movie, use the SIRI button to search for the movie and from that screen youll have access to all the information.

One extra step that should be unnecessary sure - but for now its a quick workaround.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
Yep, like a lot of Apple software these days. It's just soooooo wrong.

FIRE Tim Cook!

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
It would appear that people buy Apple based on its past reputation... and as long as people buy, Apple will never change... and why should they if their customers refuse to hold their feet to the fire?
I’m still using the 2015 model and should I get a newer model in the future it will only be in the secondhand market. I understand there are worse streaming offenders out there pushing ads and whatnot but forcing you to scroll past the Apple TV + and MLS tabs (not a subscriber) without the option to remove/them is uncalled for and terrible UX. I demand more of Apple and won’t be updating my Apple TV to 17.2 until they fix that.

Reactions: rocketbuc

Lee_Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2020
I agree it's a mess with all the old missing and yet so useful features, especially with the cast library access section.
On the missing film specs the only place you can see them directly in film library is by playing the movie and bringing up the Info menu.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I agree it's a mess with all the old missing and yet so useful features, especially with the cast library access section.
On the missing film specs the only place you can see them directly in film library is by playing the movie and bringing up the Info menu.
Not making excuses for Apple as this is a bit of an omission....

But, to save everyones blood pressure rising - as a stop gap - just use SIRI to search for the movie in your library and from the results window you have access to all the things you should do.

Yes, long pressing and selecting info is how is *should* work but for now its all there just a Siri command away.

Reactions: mallbritton

Lee_Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2020
Not making excuses for Apple as this is a bit of an omission....

But, to save everyones blood pressure rising - as a stop gap - just use SIRI to search for the movie in your library and from the results window you have access to all the things you should do.

Yes, long pressing and selecting info is how is *should* work but for now its all there just a Siri command away.
That’s another option. Trouble is Siri is useless, in my experience. Too hit a miss so hardly use it. having Said that I don’t really look back through my library’s specs often. You can see them when purchasing/renting. Previous purchased files are very rarely upgraded to 4K/HDR these days.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
tvOS is a complete disaster. Apple hasn't got a clue how its customers use its own products. They couldn't do worse if they didn't care at all, which shows that they don't.

When Tim Cook leaves the company later this year hopefully we get someone in who can give TV a proper strategy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.