Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
I found a weird bug in 17.2 that I can't figure out:

On my newer 4KATV (the 2021 model?) ... if I go into App Store and Purchased, there's no longer a Recently Updated section along the left side. Just "Family Sharing" "Not On this TV" and "All Apps."

However, on my older 4KATV, the "Recently Updated" section is there.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why one version of the App Store is missing a menu option.

santos.

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
That’s another option. Trouble is Siri is useless, in my experience. Too hit a miss so hardly use it. having Said that I don’t really look back through my library’s specs often. You can see them when purchasing/renting. Previous purchased files are very rarely upgraded to 4K/HDR these days.

Specs are just one aspect…can’t view actors, related movies, can’t even see runtime without playing the movie, it’s awful.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Tim Cook's Apple is a complete disaster.

FIRE Tim Cook!
calm down
blimey.

Seeing as Tim has lead apple into never before seen highs of financial successes.... I think hes done OK.

I mean, you do remember dont you that Apple isnt a charity its a commercial company there to make profit.

Go buy and android device if thats how you feel.

thewarm

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
I just discovered the ZOOM feature!

One of my biggest complaints was watching 21x9 videos on a 16x9 display. I hate those black bars on Netflix. The "Tap to Zoom" feature doesn't work anyway...
BUT
Accessibility, zoom, set level to minimum, triple tap to use.
WOW!
I can even use my Sony A80J remote (HDMI-CEC) to zoom in and out!

Try it..

melapple

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Since I still haven’t updated to 17.2, Apple has now changed all banners in the iTunes and tv shows app on tvOS to those black ones advertising the tv app. The way they are handling this is so ham fisted that it’s truly frustrating coming from Apple. What’s more, when you click them you get an endless spinning wheel and the tv app never launches so it’s totally useless. Way to go, Apple. I’ve always been ok with updating and enjoyed the cosmetic changes they’ve made to the player as well as the feature to calibrate my TV among others but this time they are replacing one app with another one that gets rid of so many of the features I enjoyed that it strikes me as very disrespectful of their users.

• Sad
Reactions: Lee_Mac

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
I found a weird bug in 17.2 that I can't figure out:

On my newer 4KATV (the 2021 model?) ... if I go into App Store and Purchased, there's no longer a Recently Updated section along the left side. Just "Family Sharing" "Not On this TV" and "All Apps."

However, on my older 4KATV, the "Recently Updated" section is there.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why one version of the App Store is missing a menu option.
And as mysteriously as this occurred, it stopped yesterday.

BlandUsername

macrumors 6502
I have 4 apple tv's and for the 1st time I setup my Roku TV to match my Apple TV (minus music, didn't see app for that). I have the Apple TV+ app installed. I was floored how much smoother it was to deal with the apps (Hulu app sucks everywhere it seems). My next move is to see if my Sony TV App Store can support everything I have.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
calm down
blimey.

Seeing as Tim has lead apple into never before seen highs of financial successes.... I think hes done OK.

I mean, you do remember dont you that Apple isnt a charity its a commercial company there to make profit.

Go buy and android device if thats how you feel.
Nope. I am waiting for the removal of Tim Cook. As a shareholder, I vote against Tim Cook and any initiative he supports EVERY SINGLE TIME!

FIRE Tim Cook!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
My Apple TV HD started doing something annoying a few days ago; currently running 17.2 and guessing this corresponds to when it auto-updated. I've always set my AppleTV's not to sleep and just return to the home screen and turn off the TV when not using.

All of a sudden now, when I turn on the TV there's something auto-playing. It's apparently coming from the Sling app, although hitting the Menu button takes me to the ATV home screen and not the app, so apparently this is a "feature" of TVOS? And it seems to just be a random TV show, not something I was previously watching. I make it a point to always exit from the Sling app before I turn off the TV. Makes me wonder if it's even auto-playing something when the TV is turned off?

I have another identical ATV HD and both are set to sync their settings, but it doesn't exhibit this behavior. Haven't checked, but maybe it hasn't auto-updated to 17.2 yet?

Lee_Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2020
Look for a "tvOS 17.3 Complaints" thread from Y.T. later this evening. ;-)
I've installed it came out yesterday I believe. I installed it a couple of days ago using the RC beta. There's no change I could see menu wise of the new, generally derived menu changes.
The ONLY thing I have seen they've fixed is I used to get a users profile picture sometimes showing as the main users profile picture. That seems to be it for me :/

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
My Apple TV HD started doing something annoying a few days ago; currently running 17.2 and guessing this corresponds to when it auto-updated.

Spoke too quickly, it appears that the random auto-playing at power-up is coming from a built-in app on my Samsung TV. Guess I accidently hit a button on the remote a few days ago and this isn't being caused by TVOS after all. Pretty confusing though, there's nothing obvious indicating the source of the video, and when I press the menu button on the AppleTV remote, it goes away.

Weird because I've never (intentionally) used the smart TV features and didn't even finish setting them up, I only use it as a monitor for the AppleTV.

forzagaribaldi

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
London, UK
Spoke too quickly, it appears that the random auto-playing at power-up is coming from a built-in app on my Samsung TV. Guess I accidently hit a button on the remote a few days ago and this isn't being caused by TVOS after all. Pretty confusing though, there's nothing obvious indicating the source of the video, and when I press the menu button on the AppleTV remote, it goes away.

Weird because I've never (intentionally) used the smart TV features and didn't even finish setting them up, I only use it as a monitor for the AppleTV.
My current LG tv was connected to the network once during first setup to check for updates and since then has been permanently disconnected. Wouldn't trust tv manufacturers as far as I could throw them!

Reactions: Boyd01

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Yeah, I hate the whole idea of smart TV's. My old Sony died last year and I went to Best Buy to get another one. They just didn't carry any "dumb" large screen TV's. Really annoying because it forced me to go through a setup the first time I plugged it in. I just did the minimum to allow me to switch inputs and use the AppleTV. I'm in a rural area with no broadcast stations worth watching and don't have cable. I really just wanted a video monitor.

Reactions: seanrt and Javabird

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
17.4 beta 1 is looking a little more promising as far as the store is concerned (pic taken from Blu-ray.com)
IMG_3782.jpeg

Reactions: clayj

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Just to followup, my problem had nothing to do with TVOS or the Apple TV. My Samsung smart TV was auto-playing seemingly random programs from its built-in channels at startup. Guess it was triggered by an auto-update to the Samsung firmware? I dug through the menus and found couple auto-play settings enabled. I never made that change myself, have never even used the "smart" features of this TV.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I'm not sure what you are showing as that picture isn't from tvOS.
That’s from the iOS atv app, but it’s the same on tvOS.
One of the complaints with 17.2 is that you cannot see what quality something is available in or if iTunes Extras are included when something you’d like the purchase is available on a connected service.
17.4 seems to be resolving that issue.

Edit: here’s tvOS
IMG_3786.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: clayj

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Just to followup, my problem had nothing to do with TVOS or the Apple TV. My Samsung smart TV was auto-playing seemingly random programs from its built-in channels at startup. Guess it was triggered by an auto-update to the Samsung firmware? I dug through the menus and found couple auto-play settings enabled. I never made that change myself, have never even used the "smart" features of this TV.
I had to go into the settings for the "smart apps" on my Samsung and disable that dang thing from popping up all the time. I also do not install any apps on the TV, or even agree to the TOS. I do connect it to the internet, but just for firmware updates.

Reactions: Boyd01

Lee_Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2020
Good news, for the ones who are bothered by this.

Not sure how long this setting has been there, I guess since 17.2. But you can now stop the autoplay of video when browsing in the store or in ATV+ sections. They've typically placed it under accessibility rather than having it in the app control section...

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 15.42.23.png

Reactions: clayj and Stez
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.