Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
@Mefisto @Thomas Veil @mjschabow and @Huntn look what is available now (just delivered to my house)
It's available from Allegro Coffee, same company of the David Lynch Signature Coffee
Link (since we're talking about coffee I also have to tag @Scepticalscribe )
TwinPeaks30_WholeBeanCoffee-01.png

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Thank you very much for the "tag", and, do, please, let me know how the coffee actually tastes (and where the beans hail from).

I must say, among the "David Lynch/Twin Peaks" themed/related coffees, the "Twin Peaks 30 anniversary" coffee is the worst. It's not a bad coffee by any means, but it's a dark dark roast, and usually I am not a fan of those. I guess they wanted to replicate the mood of Twin Peaks The Return...

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I must say, among the "David Lynch/Twin Peaks" themed/related coffees, the "Twin Peaks 30 anniversary" coffee is the worst. It's not a bad coffee by any means, but it's a dark dark roast, and usually I am not a fan of those. I guess they wanted to replicate the mood of Twin Peaks The Return...

Somehow, while I am sorry to hear this (read this?), I am not remotely surprised.

Actually, I would have confessed to surprise if the coffee had been particularly good.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Somehow, while I am sorry to hear this (read this?), I am not remotely surprised.

Actually, I would have confessed to surprise if the coffee had been particularly good.

Honestly I am a bit surprised. The coffee is from Allegro, which is usually a trusted coffee vendor. Again, coffee ain't bad, but it also ain't great!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Honestly I am a bit surprised. The coffee is from Allegro, which is usually a trusted coffee vendor. Again, coffee ain't bad, but it also ain't great!

That doesn't surprise me.

I suppose the reason that I think this, is that anytime I have seen a product (an otherwise often very good product) linked with a popular TV series or movie, as a marketing exercise, I have always been very disappointed, as quality has almost invariably suffered, for, the primary focus and motivation seems to be on marketing and branding, (and consequent sales), rather than on securing (and ensuring) that there has been a strong emphasis on maintaining the quality (and reputation) of the product in question.

Perhaps such marketing is aimed squarely at tempting those who may not have tried the product before, (and therefore have nothing to judge it against) to try it out, in the hope that they may be persuaded to become regular customers of the (more usual and generally better) version of the product.

Or, perhaps I am just old school.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

I suppose the reason that I think this, is that anytime I have seen a product (an otherwise often very good product) linked with a popular TV series or movie, as a marketing exercise, I have always been very disappointed, as quality has almost invariably suffered, for, the primary focus and motivation seems to be on marketing and branding, (and consequent sales), rather than on securing (and ensuring) that there has been a strong emphasis on maintaining the quality (and reputation) of the product in question.

Perhaps such marketing is aimed squarely at tempting those who may not have tried the product before, (and therefore have nothing to judge it against) to try it out, in the hope that they may be persuaded to become regular customers of the (more usual and generally better) version of the product.

I don't disagree with you. Again, the coffee ain't horrible but it's not "great," although I have to admit that it makes a good strong espresso. In general, it is very possible that they knew that suckers like yours truly would buy it no matter what, if anything to own a collectible (yes, I will keep the packaging), however I think I feel almost as disappointed as when as I kid I watched some ad for some sort of toy that looked amazing on TV but ended up being an underwhelming piece of plastic.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Which in turn reminds me of those theme restaurants, trying to lure you in with a gimmick to give your mediocre food as I think of Rainforest Cafe, and Panet Hollywood. Now it might be said the Hard Rock Cafe does the same thing, except their over priced burgers, the rock and Roll is decent and it feels unique if you like reliving an age. ;)

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Just stumbled upon this "little" video. A little bit daunting at four and a half hours (!!!) long, so I'm not going to start watching it right now, but I'm still extremely intrigued.

@yaxomoxay and other aficionados, have any of you watched it?

OBVIOUS SPOILERS, AS IT SAYS IN THE BEGINNING OF THE VIDEO. Just wanted to make that perfectly clear. So there.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Just stumbled upon this "little" video. A little bit daunting at four and a half hours (!!!) long, so I'm not going to start watching it right now, but I'm still extremely intrigued.

I watched it and it was interesting but in end I don't think he's actually right. Or 100% right.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
I watched it and it was interesting but in end I don't think he's actually right. Or 100% right.

Yeah, I guess interesting is what would suffice for me just fine. The conclusions he comes to, whether I'd agree or not, are really not that important for me. I like hearing and watching stuff about Twin Peaks and what others think about it so I'm guessing I'm not going to waste the time I will spend watching that video.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

OBVIOUS SPOILERS, AS IT SAYS IN THE BEGINNING OF THE VIDEO. Just wanted to make that perfectly clear. So there.

Dear Lynchian friend, I watched that video when it was released. Since I enjoy fan theories, I actually enjoyed the video, but I can't say I appreciated his attitude towards the show and criticism. I don't think there is a definite way to "REALLY explain" Twin Peaks - or any Lynchian work. I mean, even Frost and Lynch disagree on some of the lore and meanings. I also think that he went his way out to prove his theory to a point that it's a bit too much. It's undeniable that Twin Peaks has lots of meta-commentary, but the bottom line is that in his opinion 99% of it is meta commentary. I mean, he even mentions that student in S1E1 that makes that wave with his hands in the school's hallway and uses him to build up his theory. I mean, really? It was just a simple, fun image added by Lynch, who's a very visual person. If I recall correctly, he even links the flickering lights at the morgue as part of his theory while we all know that it was a total accident (and so it was the weird the dialogue with the morgue tech) that Lynch decided to keep.
That said, as I mentioned, I watched the video with utmost interest, I think he got many things right in the realm of meta-commentary about TV, violence, etc.

Reactions: Mefisto

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
I watched that video when it was released.

I thought you might have! I did a cursory check of the thread but didn't see it mentioned so I thought I'd ask.

I don't think there is a definite way to "REALLY explain" Twin Peaks - or any Lynchian work.

Agreed, and that's the way I like it. Even if there was a definite explanation to how the man's head works, and the works he concocts therein, the feelings they've given me and my own interpretations and thoughts are much more valuable to me in the end. Can't say I wouldn't be intrigued if he for some odd reason one day decided to lay it all out, but that's not going to happen. And that's more than fine.

Thanks for your comments on the video!

• Love

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
@Mefisto early Christmas present:
New David Lynch production (working title: Wisteria) has begun. This is confirmed.
According to the rumors: $85,000,000 budget, paid for by Netflix, Lynch retains full creative control, should be about 20-25 1-hr long episodes.

• Love
Reactions: Mefisto and bobob

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
New David Lynch production (working title: Wisteria) has begun. This is confirmed.
According to the rumors: $85,000,000 budget, paid for by Netflix, Lynch retains full creative control, should be about 20-25 1-hr long episodes.

Still processing this. Might just be in the top 2 things to happen, or even to be announced, this year.

• Love
Reactions: bobob and yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Hopefully it has some sort of Twin Peaks tie in, but not expecting it. Either way, I’ll take more Lynch!
According to the latest news:
Mark Frost has ceded 100% of the Twin Peaks Production LLC to David Lynch. Lynch is now free to do what he wants with TP. (confirmed)
David Lynch's other production company A2K has registered the copyright for 13 episodes of a drama with the temporary title "Unrecorded Night". (confirmed)
Last week "Unrecorded Night" has been added to the "Twin Peaks Production LLC" productions. (confirmed).

Twin Peaks Production LLC has produced only Twin Peaks and On the Air, it has been inactive since 2016.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I watched the original seasons years ago and loved it. I started the new season quite a while back, but ended up forgetting about it. I think I made it through the first serval episodes but wasn’t “hooked”. It was pretty slow as I recall.

Maybe I’ll have to give it another shot.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I watched the original seasons years ago and loved it. I started the new season quite a while back, but ended up forgetting about it. I think I made it through the first serval episodes but wasn’t “hooked”. It was pretty slow as I recall.

Maybe I’ll have to give it another shot.

It is very slow (since it is an 18-hour long movie and not a series there are no cliffhangers and the timings are off), but the payoffs are incredible. Try to get through episode 8 at least.
It is also important to watch the movie before watching the new series.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is this a new story, new setting, new characters?

I see that Twin Peaks: The Return is available on Amazon Prime for purchase, but for anyone seeing it for the first time, it would be less expensive to subscribe to Showtime for a month. I know you would recommend it, I would not other than as a curiosity or for some level of closure with the original series, although I did enjoy Walk With Me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.