Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Apple needs to be held accountable just like any other company, and perhaps even more so because of their grand claims about privacy when it has been often alleged/shown that they do not live up to their claims. I wish there is a way to make some of the executives personally liable, but I assume that can't really happen. But keep them on their toes and restrict false claims as much as possible.
Held accountable because 4 idiot senators don’t have a clue what they are talking about? (And apparently neither do you) Yeah no.

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
Different thing entirely as China is not the US, look at a map and you will see. NO smoke or mirrors here.
Do you behave the same in every home you visit? NO!
You would not behave the same in my home the way you would in your own home.....point proven!
One company can't stand in the US and say we are FOR privacy and will goto the cross to protect you and then turn around and burn others just for a profit. But they do.. sadly.

If I goto your home here in the states, I would be well behaved and thankful for what ever you offered. IF I goto your home in "x" country I would most certainly behave and be thankful for our time. I don't think it's right to change my behavior because you are from some place different.

So yea.. I generally have a good guidline how I would behave at anyone's home.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
Zuckerberg I think is right wing so no chance there of him being critiqued by right wing media or lawmakers, Jeff Bezos I have no clue about.
I find it fascinating that there might be a perception that Zuckerberg is right wing. The Republicans have been really outspoken against the $400M+ he spent on what they perceive was democrat turn out the vote campaigns. Bezos' bought WaPo that leans fairly far to the left.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
If a user selects the "Ask App Not to Track" option, the app is unable to access the device's Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA).

You mean the IP address?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Congress just kills me. If these lawmakers are so worried about our privacy, then where is the sweeping privacy legislation covering everything from devices to the web to automakers to advertisers to… you name it. I’ll tell you where: Nowhere because their campaign donors don’t want it.

Which privacy?

From advertisers?
From business orgs?
From hackers?
From criminal orgs?
From Governments?
From Nation States?

Each of these groups and our Congress-persons likely see these/themselves as different.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Apple started that? 🤔

Think back to the early days of smartphones. The amount of data that could be potentially accessed and both Google and Apple were willing to dish it up utilizing this next gen tech. It was part and parcel of the Apple vs Google “war”. Data gathering via smartphone rapidly evolved from there to where we are now.

Bigger question is how or even if it can be scaled back or stopped.

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
I am surprised that Microsoft is missing from the list. Windows also uses advertisement IDs, and even more, includes unsolicited ads in their OS interface. Or what about Facebook? Amazon? It really feels silly to single Apple out in this regard.
It sounds like an Epic and others are behind this. Why no mention of m$ft? No Amazon no Meta?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Ah, so rather than working on IMPORTANT legislation to make our lives better (universal healthcare, free college, gun control, women's rights, student debt relief, voting rights, Electoral College reform, expanding the Supreme Court, climate change mitigation...to name just a few), these members of Congress are working on something nobody really cares about.

This do-nothing Congress fits our do-nothing President perfectly.

This country is such a failed state. It's really pathetic.
Why do you think that they aren't working on the measures you flippantly listed?
They can't do both?

Something like this is probably easy to get through with comparatively little effort. Abortion rights, not so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.