Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Idiots.

And what a day to remind people that the Democrats remain so far out of touch. Sure, not actively evil. But not sure this is much better.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
If Apple alone is doing this then fine, go after them legally. If all or most of phone OS's do the same thing then go after all of them that do it, don't pick just one of them out.

• Sad
Reactions: dk001

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
Anything to try and distract the public from noticing how the politicians' policies are destroying the economy.

(Note: policies from both parties)

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
If Apple alone is doing this then fine, go after them legally. If all or most of phone OS's do the same thing then go after all of them that do it, don't pick just one of them out.

They are looking at more than Apple. First sentence.

In a letter sent to Federal Trade Commission (FTC) chair Lina Khan today, four U.S. legislators said the FTC should "investigate Apple and Google's role in transforming online advertising into an intense system of surveillance," according to The Wall Street Journal.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
In opinions of legislators, remember that one stalwart wondered, on camera, if Guam would tip over if we added more troops.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
They are looking at more than Apple. First sentence.

In a letter sent to Federal Trade Commission (FTC) chair Lina Khan today, four U.S. legislators said the FTC should "investigate Apple and Google's role in transforming online advertising into an intense system of surveillance," according to The Wall Street Journal.
Online Headlines (including the one used here for the article on MacrRumors) and quotes from politicians are frequently Apple specific.

"U.S. Senators Urge FTC to Investigate Apple for 'Transforming Online Advertising Into an Intense System of Surveillance"

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Considering Apple's stance on privacy and security, I would not associate Apple with...

Transforming Online Advertising Into an Intense System of Surveillance​

Google and Android sure, an "intense system of surveillance" for Android users

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
First create the feature to track users, then spin it as we're limiting it because "privacy".
Apple does trick their customer base to believe stuff in the most childish ways, don't blame them, this is the reality of the average consumer thinking.
They created the Advertising ID as an alternative to what was previously used... the device IMEI. The ad-id can be reset by the user. the IMEI can not. It was objectively a move towards more privacy not less.

Reactions: polyphenol and MNGR

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
Which privacy?

From advertisers?
From business orgs?
From hackers?
From criminal orgs?
From Governments?
From Nation States?

Each of these groups and our Congress-persons likely see these/themselves as different.
Oh please, don’t be coy. Let’s start here: Before any entity can gather information about you and sell it to third parties - you must opt IN.

• Haha

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
That's rich. And Zuck? Oh, he's their favorite? Good grief... FacePlant sucks more info from more people than just about anyone...

Sucks more info AND generates more AND manipulates more...

Also Apple doesn't have a ridiculous billionaire that's playing around in the political realm.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Oh please, don’t be coy. Let’s start here: Before any entity can gather information about you and sell it to third parties - you must opt IN.

Coy?

Try discussing these with the group / individual In each of those categories.

This isn’t a matter of opt out rather just what is meant by “privacy”.
Privacy to the NSA means something very different than to Omnicom or to AdSense.

As for “opt out”, even though I agree, does not always do what you think.

sudo-sandwich

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
When Apple started letting you hide the IDFA, it was presented as a privacy feature, but really IDFAs shouldn't have existed to begin with if they really cared. I said that way back then, and now this is relevant again.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
One aspect of major concern is when it comes to privacy is Apple Health Kit.
Not in the sense of what Apple has itself but the way they let third party access this information.
This is what I consider some of the most critical information and HIPPA does not apply sadly. Once a third party app is granted access to health kit at all, it becomes an honor system that we hope the third party executes. HIPPA rules and penalties do not apply outside of the narrow doctor / medical record scope. Data brokers and third party tracking apps can legally sell the information they have access to. Apple’s “privacy” claims only go so far.

There are some good looking third party apps out there. Buyer beware.

Reactions: brucemr

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Wait, what? They just found out about this now? How about decades of cookie tracking on pretty much any websites and all the social media companies? And why only mention Apple and Google? Maybe that's the only brand they "know" that they can extract money from?

At least Apple tried to do something about it. I give Apple the benefit of the doubt that they just realize recently that these kind of things are not good and thus implemented the privacy features in iOS. Google is another story, but for these "legislators" to mention this now is almost a joke. But I guess they want to get some votes or something

thederby

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
Austin, TX
If a user selects the "Ask App Not to Track" option, the app is unable to access the device's Identifier for Advertisers (IDFA).

You mean the IP address?

Apple’s Identifier for Advertisers. It’s a unique identifier Apple implemented as part of IOS 10 intended to prevent “less secure” methods of user tracking.

Here’s some history of iDFA’s origins and subsequent abuse:

Reactions: brucemr

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Apple needs to be held accountable just like any other company, and perhaps even more so because of their grand claims about privacy when it has been often alleged/shown that they do not live up to their claims. I wish there is a way to make some of the executives personally liable, but I assume that can't really happen. But keep them on their toes and restrict false claims as much as possible.

Would you give a few examples of Apple not living up to their claims? Your post is a lot of heat but no light. I'm open the possibility that Apple is lying when it comes to their claims of user privacy, but I can't immediately think of any evidence to support that claim.

Reactions: I7guy

bookofxero

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2017
Those cards are you "opting in". It's not like you can't shop there without them.
OK, but that was not my point and it is disingenuous of you to try to pretend you thought it was (or I am giving you too much credit). You can "opt out" of the advertising identifier and still use the OS - you do not need it "on" to use the phone. The only difference is opting in versus opting out, which is still tangential to the point that your data has been sold by numerous entities for decades.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Considering Apple's stance on privacy and security, I would not associate Apple with...

Transforming Online Advertising Into an Intense System of Surveillance​

Google and Android sure, an "intense system of surveillance" for Android users

I don’t think Apple is as trustworthy as I used to think they were even a few years ago, but they aren’t as bad as Microsoft/Google is. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being very secure and privacy oriented, I would put Apple as a #4, then Microsoft at 7 or 8, and Google at 10. Facebook destroys the scale by ranking up in the hundreds.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don’t think Apple is as trustworthy as I used to think they were even a few years ago, but they aren’t as bad as Microsoft/Google is. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being very secure and privacy oriented, I would put Apple as a #4, then Microsoft at 7 or 8, and Google at 10. Facebook destroys the scale by ranking up in the hundreds.
Security and privacy are two different things. Privacy is how one’s personal information is handled. Security is not that. So on a scale of 1 to 10 for privacy, I give apple a two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.