Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Unheated tent, and sleeping bag. I've gone camping in temps down in close to 0 (fahrenheit) and given my sleeping system, I tend to stay warm. This weekend it would have been around -10 (fahrenheit) which I wanted to the challenge. The hardest part of camping in the winter is the morning when you have to get out of that warm cocoon of a sleeping bag and get out into the freezing temps.

I'll try to head back up there in the coming weeks, depending on my schedule.
Wow. Honestly, I wouldn’t have what it takes to do that. So when you’re camping in these types of frigid environments, what activities do you do during the day until you reach the point at night where you decide to go to sleep? Does your family follow the same procedures you do when you camp?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
what activities do you do during the day until you reach the point at nigh
IT all depends on when I get there, I may hike, I may do camp chores, I may just read. I take my iPad and so I can watch movies in my tent at night or read a book. As for my family, no they think I'm crazy and they're probably not wrong :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
IT all depends on when I get there, I may hike, I may do camp chores, I may just read. I take my iPad and so I can watch movies in my tent at night or read a book. As for my family, no they think I'm crazy and they're probably not wrong :)
Yes, I would agree with them. And I’m confident you and Bear Grylls would get along.😁 (I used to love his show on Discovery.)

Reactions: maflynn

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The snow storm we have all been waiting for this winter is upon us. Maybe 3 feet for the Boston area, 10-15 inches possible for NYC. Hurricane force winds and bitter cold.

We have one inch so far. Inland will apparently get much less snow than the coast. I will have to dig my mother out in Boston tomorrow. I hope that the roads are all plowed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The conditions in boston and surrounding communities hasn't been too bad, the wind is whipping, the snow is that dry, stuff that isn't heavy.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Major dud here. Forecast 12-20 inches. Actual: 4 inches.
Boston's reported total was 24 inches and so we got just what they estimated. In an odd twist, the wind patterns seemed different then prior nor'easters. For once the wind blew most of the snow away from the sidewalk and driveway. My truck and the wife's car was not buried in snow but my neighbors across the street, well they're in giant snow drifts exceeding 3 feet.

Its not all rainbows and unicorns, the bottom of the driveway, which meets the street has a giant 3 foot drift, I got most of it cleared last night but I knew the plows would undo much of the work, I'll be going back out again.

My poor dog , I had to clear a path, for the back, as I mentioned there's a solid 3 feet of snow back there and that's just way too deep.

As least we'll be able to dig out and get out of the house, as cabin fever will be setting in for all of us

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Boston's reported total was 24 inches and so we got just what they estimated. In an odd twist, the wind patterns seemed different then prior nor'easters. For once the wind blew most of the snow away from the sidewalk and driveway. My truck and the wife's car was not buried in snow but my neighbors across the street, well they're in giant snow drifts exceeding 3 feet.

Its not all rainbows and unicorns, the bottom of the driveway, which meets the street has a giant 3 foot drift, I got most of it cleared last night but I knew the plows would undo much of the work, I'll be going back out again.

My poor dog , I had to clear a path, for the back, as I mentioned there's a solid 3 feet of snow back there and that's just way too deep.

As least we'll be able to dig out and get out of the house, as cabin fever will be setting in for all of us

I've walked around and haven't seen any high drifts.

I worked on the lower roof and there's an ice dam forming on one side which I will have to watch. I'll do the upper roof in a few hours. I cleared off the driveawy this morning and it was just pushing maybe half an inch off. I will go and clear off the cars later this morning. It is very cold outside and I have the ski goggles and balaclava on.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I finished digging a path to our gate, so the dog can go the bathroom and I can take the trash out. As you can see the snow is definitely hip deep. I wanted to snap a pic before the kids start jumping and playing
IMG_8036.jpg

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I finished digging a path to our gate, so the dog can go the bathroom and I can take the trash out. As you can see the snow is definitely hip deep. I wanted to snap a pic before the kids start jumping and playing
View attachment 1951569

I was shoveling every three hours yesterday so I wouldn't have to shovel a lot of snow at the same time. Most people do it all at the same time.

That's a lot of snow.

At least you have a place to put it. I was watching a few videos in Boston where people don't have yards. So people shoveling the sidewalks dump it between cars or next to cars so that there's a ton of snow around cars. Then people go to dig their cars out and where do you put it. One lady interviewed said that she has to walk several houses down where there is a front yard and dump it there. Well, the person who owns the property won't be too happy about that.

That's one of the things I hated about living in Boston - no place to put snow.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was shoveling every three hours
I typically do that, but the wind was such yesterday, that my work was quickly undone. I did like 90% of shoveling last night at dinner time, and then I attacked it this morning. Still, I started around 8:00-ish and then I'm only now at 11 am I nearly done.

One thing is for sure, I don't need to worry about going out for run or hitting the gym today - I got my workout already.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I typically do that, but the wind was such yesterday, that my work was quickly undone. I did like 90% of shoveling last night at dinner time, and then I attacked it this morning. Still, I started around 8:00-ish and then I'm only now at 11 am I nearly done.

One thing is for sure, I don't need to worry about going out for run or hitting the gym today - I got my workout already.

I track my snow clearing as a workout. I can see my elevated heartrate while working and I just put an annotation that I cleared snow.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Texas's power grid will be put to the test again this week. That's all I'll say. Big ice storm for them and Oklahoma, Arkansas, parts of Missouri. Maybe the northeast too but too soon to tell

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Shoveled out my mother's driveway in Boston this afternoon. Much more work than my place as she had 24 inches while we had 7. We're forecast for 5-8 on Friday so not a big deal. There's a big section of the US at risk for bad weather this week but the worst of it should slide north of us. One of the big problems for New England was the level of damage on the coastal regions.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Temps will be approaching the next few days - I'm hoping that will help widen the streets so I can park back on the street. Right now, with the snow, its still too narrow.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Temps will be approaching the next few days - I'm hoping that will help widen the streets so I can park back on the street. Right now, with the snow, its still too narrow.

There are videos in Boston of cars trying to go both directions.

I'm hoping that all of the snow melts tomorrow and Thursday, just in time to do it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.