Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Man here in Finger Lakes (where I'm retired) We just got 3 feet of new snow the last few days! I'm stating getting sick of brushing off my car!:mad:

At least you can brush it off. We had two inches of sleet and then an inch of ice. It is very difficult to remove this combination.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
At least you can brush it off. We had two inches of sleet and then an inch of ice. It is very difficult to remove this combination.
Are sure your grill is free from ice! Then start your car with deforest on high ASAP as heats up the windshield! Also turn on back window defrost too! this will help then get to auto store and get an ice scraper!

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Are sure your grill is free from ice! Then start your car with deforest on high ASAP as heats up the windshield! Also turn on back window defrost too! this will help then get to auto store and get an ice scraper!

I had a lot of difficulty getting into the car because the remote wouldn't work, the door lock was frozen and the door was frozen to the body of the car.

I've broken two scrapers trying to get the ice off the car so far. I only have one long one left. I do have a couple of hand scrapers but they aren't as efficient. I need to pick up a couple more at Costco. Pretty dangerous with people driving with their windows half-covered with ice.

Reactions: VulchR

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I had a lot of difficulty getting into the car because the remote wouldn't work, the door lock was frozen and the door was frozen to the body of the car.

I've broken two scrapers trying to get the ice off the car so far. I only have one long one left. I do have a couple of hand scrapers but they aren't as efficient. I need to pick up a couple more at Costco. Pretty dangerous with people driving with their windows half-covered with ice.
Sounds like you need to hand held ice scraper!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So, been following the weather the past week. It's been warm and so windows have been open. But there's a certain point where open windows won't cut it anymore.

Our central A/C broke in the middle of summer 2020 so this will be our third year with portable and window unit A/C. A/C companies want around $6-10k for new/used units and we just don't have that.

The weather stated we'd hit 96º today in Phoenix, so I wanted our living room A/C out of the garage and installed by Wednesday. I've now got the window unit A/C installed in the master bedroom again. It was 94º yesterday and we set a new record.

Two more A/C units to put back (kids rooms). I'd have all window units, but I use the hose type for the front room and my daughter's room. Both of those windows can be seen from the street and I know my HOA would object to window units.

Fortunately, after two years, I've pretty much figured out how to set everything up. The first year was miserable when all we could afford at the beginning was a portable evap cooler.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
So, been following the weather the past week. It's been warm and so windows have been open. But there's a certain point where open windows won't cut it anymore.

Our central A/C broke in the middle of summer 2020 so this will be our third year with portable and window unit A/C. A/C companies want around $6-10k for new/used units and we just don't have that.

The weather stated we'd hit 96º today in Phoenix, so I wanted our living room A/C out of the garage and installed by Wednesday. I've now got the window unit A/C installed in the master bedroom again. It was 94º yesterday and we set a new record.

Two more A/C units to put back (kids rooms). I'd have all window units, but I use the hose type for the front room and my daughter's room. Both of those windows can be seen from the street and I know my HOA would object to window units.

Fortunately, after two years, I've pretty much figured out how to set everything up. The first year was miserable when all we could afford at the beginning was a portable evap cooler.
Sounds brutal.
High was 75 today, 5 miles south of Prescott.
We rarely see 95.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sounds brutal.
High was 75 today, 5 miles south of Prescott.
We rarely see 95.
Well, last year saw the purchase of a Whynter ARC-14S 14,000BTU A/C to replace a 12,000 BTU unit. In combination with an air recirculator (fan) the front room temps were kept between 75º and 85º on the hottest days. I work from home and the computers are all fine, so this temp was something I could deal with. The summer of 2020 had us at front room temps of 85º to 95º. The main problem is that there is only a small wall between the kitchen and the front room. In it's entirety, the space is too large for the A/C unit. But I only need a specific area kept cool. Any use of the stove is done after 5pm during July and August.

The A/C has a timer and during those months it's set to kick on at 4am. As long as we start cool, we stay cool.

The other rooms all have A/C units that can handle the size so sleeping and activity there is just fine. It results (during July and August) with several hot zones between the front room and the bedrooms, but we aren't hanging out in the hallways.

This was June 18th, 2021.

IMG_1866.PNG

PS. The lows are what kill you in August. When the low is 95º at 4am there hasn't been any chance to cool down. That means you start the day with a deficit you have to make up (because the A/C was off at night when no one was downstairs and thus did not keep the room cool).

Last edited:

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
PS. The lows are what kill you in August. When the low is 95º at 4am there hasn't been any chance to cool down. That means you start the day with a deficit you have to make up (because the A/C was off at night when no one was downstairs and thus did not keep the room cool).
I used to live in L.A. (until 2011).
Those temps you pictured were roughly equivalent to there during the summer.
For weeks on end, we ran our central air 24/7 for the same reasons.
If you shut it down for the night, you would never get it cooled down the next day.
At the time, the electric bill was running $10-13 per day!
Here in the Bradshaws @ 6200' we have no A/C.
Sometimes it's hot, but open windows and fans suffice.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Well, last year saw the purchase of a Whynter ARC-14S 14,000BTU A/C to replace a 12,000 BTU unit. In combination with an air recirculator (fan) the front room temps were kept between 75º and 85º on the hottest days. I work from home and the computers are all fine, so this temp was something I could deal with. The summer of 2020 had us at front room temps of 85º to 95º. The main problem is that there is only a small wall between the kitchen and the front room. In it's entirety, the space is too large for the A/C unit. But I only need a specific area kept cool. Any use of the stove is done after 5pm during July and August.

The A/C has a timer and during those months it's set to kick on at 4am. As long as we start cool, we stay cool.

The other rooms all have A/C units that can handle the size so sleeping and activity there is just fine. It results (during July and August) with several hot zones between the front room and the bedrooms, but we aren't hanging out in the hallways.

This was June 18th, 2021.

View attachment 1981404

Ouch. I grew up in Virginia and never saw a temperature that high, but we often had highs peaking over 100°F with 80-90% humidity (I am enjoying living in Scotland now, with yesterday's high at 60°F and clear blue skies). One of the tricks I learned was to stop trying to cool the air and cool the blood instead. One can get freezable sleeves that go around the bases of glasses to help chill drinks. Slip one of those on your wrist with a cloth armband over it to catch condensation and you might be surprised how quickly you cool down. It's a short-term fix, but it's better than heatstroke. Good luck!.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

You should see this video:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ouch. I grew up in Virginia and never saw a temperature that high, but we often had highs peaking over 100°F with 80-90% humidity (I am enjoying living in Scotland now, with yesterday's high at 60°F and clear blue skies). One of the tricks I learned was to stop trying to cool the air and cool the blood instead. One can get freezable sleeves that go around the bases of glasses to help chill drinks. Slip one of those on your wrist with a cloth armband over it to catch condensation and you might be surprised how quickly you cool down. It's a short-term fix, but it's better than heatstroke. Good luck!.
Thanks for the tip. We've been here 22 years now (from Southern California) so we have long adjusted. Last year was when I got the portable A/C right so until we get the central fixed it's fine.

The car has A/C, and so does almost every place else.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
We got snow this morning and today is entirely below freezing. It was only an inch so I didn't need the shovel or roof rake. I only needed the snow brush. I hope that this was it for the season.

Geezerviser

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2021
My city has a very cold climate, and it's really annoying because I can't afford to change my place of residence at this time.

wondercrew

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2021
My city has a very cold climate, and it's really annoying because I can't afford to change my place of residence at this time.
My city has a very cold climate, and it's really annoying because I can't afford to change my place of residence at this time. My family is not happy with the cold climate either. I'm really glad that I was able to help my family in some way when I installed radiators in our house (visit radiator outlet for more info). Now my children are comfortable, at least at home. I expect to be able to move out of here with my family in the future. What countries with a warm climate can you recommend for relocation?

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Only in the 40s along the front range in Colorado today. Had some snow earlier this morning.

Welcome to springtime in Colorado.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
We've had temps in the 30s earlier this week but things have finally warmed up to the low 40s. We get 30s on Saturday night and then 50s next week. Today was a glorious day. Sunny and in the 60s - went out running in shorts and tank-top.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Early last week when we were having a warm spell, after the HVAC guy had come-and-gone (doing the usual annual inspection of the system) I thought, "yeah, might as well go with the A/C from now on!" Eh.....that was a little too ambitious and only two days later I was hastily switching back to Heat before the house and I became too cold. The weather this spring has just been a bit too unpredictable!

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Early last week when we were having a warm spell, after the HVAC guy had come-and-gone (doing the usual annual inspection of the system) I thought, "yeah, might as well go with the A/C from now on!" Eh.....that was a little too ambitious and only two days later I was hastily switching back to Heat before the house and I became too cold. The weather this spring has just been a bit too unpredictable!

We had the heat off for about a month and then I think that we had it on last Thursday to Monday or Tuesday this week. We are in a warming trend and I don't expect to use the heat until the fall, even with the lows in the upper 30s. Blankets should suffice.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
As soon as the temperature begins feeling spring-like and warmish it's off with the heat and on with the opening of windows and sliding glass door in this household! Unfortunately, though, when there are fairly large fluctuations in the temperature so that simply closing the windows and the slider and me putting on an extra layer isn't enough to keep the house comfortably warmish, it's time to (sigh) kick the heat back on. I am optimistic, though, that maybe this week or early next week it will be safe enough to make the switch from Heat to A/C again....but I actually don't really like A/C -- I like Mother Nature's fresh air -- and won't be using the A/C until it gets really humid and hot around here!

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
As soon as the temperature begins feeling spring-like and warmish it's off with the heat and on with the opening of windows and sliding glass door in this household! Unfortunately, though, when there are fairly large fluctuations in the temperature so that simply closing the windows and the slider and me putting on an extra layer isn't enough to keep the house comfortably warmish, it's time to (sigh) kick the heat back on. I am optimistic, though, that maybe this week or early next week it will be safe enough to make the switch from Heat to A/C again....but I actually don't really like A/C -- I like Mother Nature's fresh air -- and won't be using the A/C until it gets really humid and hot around here!

We've had many days already with the pollen count at over 10 (at pollen.com) so there are downsides to opening the windows in our area as a few of us have pretty bad allergies spring, summer and fall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.