Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
One planetary experiment with greenhouse gases has been done. It's called Venus - a planet closer to our orbit than Mars, yet with surface temperatures that can melt lead. Despite this, we insist here on Earth to pursue our planetwide uncontrolled experiment with greenhouse gases because it is profitable for rich powerful people. It's potentially suicidal in the long run and we are already seeing profound short term effects. It would take triggering just one runaway process to cause life-changing damage (e.g., methane release from permafrost, or from deep sea deposits of frozen methane thawing). Just my two cents.
What happened to Venus being true or not still doesn't change the fact that humans aren't going to abandon living comfortably and choose an uncomfortable life of poverty. Self-preservation, comfort, prosperity (riches), and so on will always take precedence. Ask anybody to give you all of his (or her) possessions (savings, car, real estate, MBP, guns, and even the dog), and see what the answer is. Most people aren't worried about things they have no control of, including what nature may do, because what worry people the most are themselves and the things they are the closest to (health, economic status or earnings, safety, family and friends, possessions, and so on).

Last edited:
Reactions: b0fh666

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
You can have some of ours! :D

111º today, 115º tomorrow, 113º Sunday. 110º on Monday and by next Friday (fortunately for us) we will be down to 106º.

Plenty of heat to share with you. :)
It had been hot and dry for a few weeks in the interior of Alaska, but this week it has been quite cool and raining. Some flash-floods have damaged some roads, and lots of wildfires have taken place. However, the rain and cool temperatures seem to have reduced the wildfires intensity. Right now (Friday 15 July at 6:30 PM), the thermometer outdoors points to 60 degrees F. (15.55556 C.). The forecast for tonight is 49 degrees F. (tad over 9 C.) :)

Reactions: eyoungren

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

Luckily in the South West we've gotten away with "just" 33-34 the last couple of days, been a bit uncomfortable to say the least though, especially the record highs overnight. Showers and a much fresher 25 sweeping in from the Atlantic from tomorrow!

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales

Luckily in the South West we've gotten away with "just" 33-34 the last couple of days, been a bit uncomfortable to say the least though, especially the record highs overnight. Showers and a much fresher 25 sweeping in from the Atlantic from tomorrow!
From today! Already had thunder, rain (not much), and only about 24C so far today.

(Obviously depends on location - SW Wales.)

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
It's strange how in the dog days of summer I think back to winter with fondness. And, in deep frigidity of winter, I long for the summer. I just can never be happy -- except in spring and fall I suppose.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
It's strange how in the dog days of summer I think back to winter with fondness. And, in deep frigidity of winter, I long for the summer. I just can never be happy -- except in spring and fall I suppose.
I think it is easier to get warm when it is cold than to get cool when it is hot. Also, hypothermia is a far better way to go than heat stroke. The bonus is that biting insects are less active when it is cold. Thus I am happy during three seasons and barely tolerate summer. I think will be moving to NW Scotland when I retire...

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I think it is easier to get warm when it is cold than to get cool when it is hot. Also, hypothermia is a far better way to go than heat stroke. The bonus is that biting insects are less active when it is cold. Thus I am happy during three seasons and barely tolerate summer. I think will be moving to NW Scotland when I retire...
Pick your poison I guess. Hypothermia kills twice as many people per year so I guess it is more deadly in terms of the number of victims.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I can say, the weather in southern California has been weird. We have had sporadic hot days with mostly cloudy days. Oh and the humidity has been in the 80 percent range... Ugh.
LOL - like the entire US East Coast in the summer. I grew up in Virginia but live in Scotland now. People here say I walk slow, so I have to explain my 'Virginian shuffle' - when I was a kid I learned very quickly that if you actually lifted your feet off the ground when walking in the summer you broke out into sweat. As you say, ugh. The worst is the hot humid air condensing on your cool skin as you leave buildings with AC, followed closely by starting any car that has been left sitting in the sunshine.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
LOL - like the entire US East Coast in the summer. I grew up in Virginia but live in Scotland now. People here say I walk slow, so I have to explain my 'Virginian shuffle' - when I was a kid I learned very quickly that if you actually lifted your feet off the ground when walking in the summer you broke out into sweat. As you say, ugh. The worst is the hot humid air condensing on your cool skin as you leave buildings with AC, followed closely by starting any car that has been left sitting in the sunshine.

East coast is known for their humidity, sunny cal is not lol... Well until recently.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
All I know is here in Finger Lakes Region and it's been so raining so ofter here all the Finger Lakes went up 2 inches in six months! Meanwhile in the West they have had a decade or longer drought conditions throughout the South West and if continues Las Vegas will run out of power and Water! Lake Powell is almost gone in this drought!

Reactions: VulchR

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Not super cold just yet, but the snow is falling heavily.
See how this goes without winter tires on my electric bicycle 😂
I need to get out in this and get some deliveries, so better sooner than later when I am snowed in 🌨️

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
The low was 23 degrees here in southern NH last night and it's 32 degrees and windy right now (10 MPH with gusts to 21 MPH). I just went out for a walk and I was cold. I may need more clothes to go running this morning. This is normal weather for this time of year for us.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Winter. November 2023.
It is relatively warm in the interior of Alaska. We have had a mild winter so far, with lots of snow by Anchorage, but not very much around Fairbanks (interior of Alaska). It is 11 degrees F. tonight (7:04 PM Nov. 29, 2023), and the forecast calls for 7 degrees early in the morning, then 18 degrees F tomorrow by midday, and -7 degrees tomorrow night (Thursday night). In the middle of the winter temperatures of -20 to -40 degrees are possible. Just keep in mind that I am not referring to wind chill temperatures, but to ambient temperatures without winds :)

By the way, if you live up North in the US and Canada, the Northern Lights are supposed to be quite active tonight and tomorrow UTC time.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
One of the places called out on the Today show when talking about cold weather is about an hour from me - Saranac Lake, NY. Officially, the Albany area set a record low high (coldest high temp recorded on a particular day) of 8 F yesterday, or maybe it was Wed? I don't think we even hit double digits yesterday.
It gets very cold in Buffalo. I used to fish around the upper Saranac River, and Saranac Lake...years ago when living in Plattsburgh. NY.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Winter. November 2023.
It is relatively warm in the interior of Alaska. We have had a mild winter so far, with lots of snow by Anchorage, but not very much around Fairbanks (interior of Alaska). It is 11 degrees F. tonight (7:04 PM Nov. 29, 2023), and the forecast calls for 7 degrees early in the morning, then 18 degrees F tomorrow by midday, and -7 degrees tomorrow night (Thursday night). In the middle of the winter temperatures of -20 to -40 degrees are possible. Just keep in mind that I am not referring to wind chill temperatures, but to ambient temperatures without winds :)

By the way, if you live up North in the US and Canada, the Northern Lights are supposed to be quite active tonight and tomorrow UTC time.

Lordy!!! THAT is freaking cold. o_Oo_Oo_O

I would move. It was bad enough, when we lived in Montana and it would hit -20... but I don't remember ever seeing -40!

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Lordy!!! THAT is freaking cold. o_Oo_Oo_O

I would move. It was bad enough, when we lived in Montana and it would hit -20... but I don't remember ever seeing -40!

In NH, we do have those kinds of temperatures on Mt Washington. The lowest temps that I've experienced here are around -22 in North Conway.

Wind chill is an important factor on Mt Washington as it can get very windy with windchills in excess of -100.

We've only been up there once in August and we wore winter coats (recommended). Our daughter was blown onto the ground by the wind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.