Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
In NH, we do have those kinds of temperatures on Mt Washington. The lowest temps that I've experienced here are around -22 in North Conway.

Wind chill is an important factor on Mt Washington as it can get very windy with windchills in excess of -100.

We've only been up there once in August and we wore winter coats (recommended). Our daughter was blown onto the ground by the wind.

-100... that is beyond cold lol...

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Lordy!!! THAT is freaking cold. o_Oo_Oo_O

I would move. It was bad enough, when we lived in Montana and it would hit -20... but I don't remember ever seeing -40!
The following link leads to a very informative article about different temperatures recorded in Alaska:

That was 50 years ago, however. But since Alaska is such a large place, there are climate differences from one region to another, and so ambient temperatures, wind, humidity, and so on. For example, while the temperature in Fairbanks may be -20 degrees F, about 100 miles away near Delta Junction and Tok (two very small towns by the road), the temperature could be -30 degrees and colder. Sometimes very low temperatures are recorded by Tok and Delta Junction.

The problem when it is cold and windy is that if one is wearing outer garments that don't resist wind (wind blocking layers), then one would get cold in a hold period of time. When very cold outdoors on a windy day, it is best to dress warmly in synthetic inner layers, and outer layers that block the wind. Roomy winter insulated boots and gloves (mittens are better than gloves), and head and face-covering masks (balaclavas). Any exposed flash or skin can get frost bitten. Keep in mind that too much activity can make you sweat, and this can cause a lot of problems. Just pace yourself, and remove some of the inner layers if you feel like you are starting to sweat (store them in the backpack or bag you are carrying).

Last edited:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
The following link leads to a very informative article about different temperatures recorded in Alaska:

That was 50 years ago, however. But since Alaska is such a large place, there are climate differences from one region to another, and so ambient temperatures, wind, humidity, and so on. For example, while the temperature in Fairbanks may be -20 degrees F, about 100 miles away near Delta Junction and Tok (two very small towns by the road), the temperature could be -30 degrees and colder. Sometimes very low temperatures are recorded by Tok and Delta Junction.

The problem when it is cold and windy is that if one is wearing outer garments that don't resist wind (wind blocking layers), then one would get cold in a hold period of time. When very cold outdoors on a windy day, it is best to dress warmly in synthetic inner layers, and outer layers that block the wind. Roomy winter insulated boots and gloves (mittens are better than gloves), and head and face-covering masks (balaclavas). Any exposed flash or skin can get frost bitten. Keep in mind that too much activity can make you sweat, and this can cause a lot of problems. Just pace yourself, and remove some of the inner layers if you feel like you are starting to sweat (store them in the backpack or bag you are carrying).
Or... live in a place with a temperate climate. 🥶

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Or... live in a place with a temperate climate. 🥶
Those places are too crowded with people. It's private and comfortable in here. And yes, my wife and I have too many vehicles in the front yard this time :oops:

I missed the best Auroras early this morning because I decided to watch TV since it was cloudy. Then when taking the dog out about 1:00AM I realized that the clouds had left a beautiful and clear sky. The best Auroras had taken place before midnight. But tonight the forecast shows a very high Northern Lights event (UTC time).
i-v5D2VbM.jpg

Last edited:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Those places are too crowded with people. It's private and comfortable in here. And yes, my wife and I too many vehicles in the front yard this time :oops:

I missed the best Auroras early this morning because I decided to watch TV since it was cloudy. Then when taking the dog out about 1:00AM I realized that the clouds had left a beautiful and clear sky. The best Auroras had taken place before midnight. But tonight the forecast shows a very high Northern Lights event (UTC time).
i-v5D2VbM.jpg
I saw them in Scotland a few days ago, but my pictures aren't even close to being as beautiful.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
But the worst happening today Friday Dec. 15, 2023 are the solar flares interfering with my home network. I have had to restart the modem and router several times today. At least the ambient temperature (outdoors) rose to -12º F today 😁

Solar flares make for beautiful Northern Lights, but there is a cloud cover and snow falling:

Reactions: VulchR and Lioness~

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Enjoying the warm winter here on west coast Sweden ☺️
Celsius degrees.

View attachment 2325735
Very nice temperatures!

We have had some crazy weather this Alaska winter. This week it has been snowing and relatively warm, specially today (Sunday 17 December) as the temperature rose to 17 degrees F (-8.333333 Celsius). The forecast calls for day temperatures above 0 F this week, and from -6 to -10 degrees F at night. My wife loves these warm temperatures :)

By the 21st (21st December) we barely have 3 hours and 45 minutes of daylight. But this daylight is much like "twilight."

Reactions: Pezimak

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
if that is a "little cold" i'lll take that here in NC.

Our high is 55 today (which means today is going to suck. it's 52 degrees now at 7 am) and our low is 36 lol
We have colder weather coming by Thursday. Technically, the local forecasters say, we are running about 15º hotter than normal. Considering this past summer, where it was August heat in June I don't expect this winter to be very cold or to last very long before the heat is back.

It's unfortunate. I have sweatshirts and coats that see very little use each year.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
The TV station we choose for local news has a chief "meter-ologist" who keeps raving about the nice weather (unseasonably warm "temp-a-churs"). He seems oblivious to the issue of global warming - never mentions it.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Where I'm at now, it's in the 50s (Fahrenheit), and I'm getting 10 hours of daylight. So yeah, not bad. Though in the upper Midwest where I go to college, it's very much the opposite (20s/30s and less daylight). So when I go back in January, I'm going to suffer pretty bad lol

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Yeah, so starting to get a little cold here in December…had to turn the central heat on a couple weeks ago.

Phoenix, AZ - West Valley.

View attachment 2324337 View attachment 2324336
I would KILL for those temps in December. In Idaho, we are bracing for the deep freeze of January/Feburary. We will sit in the mid-teens for most of winter but sometimes we'll hit single digits. Anything above freezing feels like a heat wave sometimes.

Reactions: eyoungren

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
As it will continue to get colder here, I invested in a new down-jacket.
The old have no good zipper left in it, and not worth to replace it either. The jacket has given me many years of warmth up here in the north.
Waiting for a new navy-blue to arrive next week 😄

1703883990963.jpeg

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Spent 50+ years enduring WV winters - cold, gray, more rain than snow and just not fun.

This is our first winter in the desert and I am loving it. It may be 25 in the morning, but once the sun comes out and temps rise to the 50-60's, it is quite nice.

So far we have had 2 days of rain in December and one of those was overnight. Another one forecast for next week the day before I go on a long ride in our SXS - so hopefully it will fill some creeks and keep the dust down.

Reactions: eyoungren

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
We have had a mild winter in the interior of Alaska, but this week we have had a couple of nights with temperatures from -24º to -27º F (-32 C.) (tonight near Fairbanks).

• Wow
Reactions: Lioness~

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
We have had a mild winter in the interior of Alaska, but this week we have had a couple of nights with temperatures from -24º to -27º F (-32 C.) (tonight near Fairbanks).

No thanks. ;)

Coldest I have ever experienced was around -15º F and that was enough.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaskaMoose
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.