Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Blizzard here in Buffalo NY.
Snow is falling in the interior of Alaska, but it is not very cold. Right now the ambient temperature is around 5 degrees F (-15 C?), and the forecast points to 24 degrees by Tuesday. We have had maybe three days with temperatures of -20 F. this winter, with is not normal by January in Fairbanks, where normal should be -30 and colder.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Houston, Texas currently 30F (-1C) headed to 18F (-7C) Wed morning. That’s cold for ussss.🥶 God, I have to turn the pool pumps off!!

IMG_3094.jpeg

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
In between -10 /-15C˚ this week here.
Cold enough, generally.
My neighbors looks at me and smile though when I am out doing short walks, such as throwing away compost and/or general trash, in shorts but with a down jacket on, in the cold.
No big deal, I’ve been running and played soccer in this kind of weather since a kid.
Not often freeze on legs, not while moving and not too far.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Snow is falling in the interior of Alaska, but it is not very cold. Right now the ambient temperature is around 5 degrees F (-15 C?), and the forecast points to 24 degrees by Tuesday. We have had maybe three days with temperatures of -20 F. this winter, with is not normal by January in Fairbanks, where normal should be -30 and colder.
My brother moved to Kenai last summer and is busy building a (modern) cabin. He’s been complaining about how warm it’s been. 🙂

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
My brother moved to Kenai last summer and is busy building a (modern) cabin. He’s been complaining about how warm it’s been. 🙂
This is an unusual winter. The forecast for Fairbanks tells that snow should stop falling toward the evening hours. The temperature reached 21º F . January usually is the coldest month of the winter, and temperatures from -20º F to -40 are common. We only had maybe four days (nights) with -24º F this winter). Nights are colder than during the day. I just plowed 6 inches of snow off the two driveways of "our" house (wife and I). :)

21 F= -6.1.....C
-40 F=-40 C

Reactions: Lioness~

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Hope you'll be able to get out the second story window.

Last year, that wasn't far on the truth. The snow drifts piled up so high at both doors, we were trapped for a day. A front loader had to dig us out and free the doors.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Last year, that wasn't far on the truth. The snow drifts piled up so high at both doors, we were trapped for a day. A front loader had to dig us out and free the doors.
During one blizzard, people joked that they couldn't find a snow plow until March when everything thawed. It felt like that.

That year, my dad got a Jeep CJ5 and was helping the Sheriff's Dept. deliver medicine and food because almost everyone was stuck at home. I'm just glad I haven't had to deal with more than waist-deep snow.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
We’ve had a light dusting of snow the last few days, enough that it has laid around waiting. Temps only -2 C though, and lots of rain in the weeks before.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
It has been relatively warm in the interior of Alaska until a couple of days ago. But there is an "Arctic blast" moving toward the interior (Fairbanks, and vicinity). The forecasts calls for clear days and nights with temperatures of -15º F to -45º F (-26º to -42º C) starting Sunday through next week.

Today we had a 5.3 magnitude earthquake, but there were no reports of damage. It was a little exciting for me and one of the dogs that ran to hide in a bedroom, as I sat on my favorite "couch potato chair." My wife thought that the loud sound and house shaking was from an Army helicopter flying over the house. I started laughing quite loud because she didn't realize it had been a strong ground tremor. :)

Last edited:

AhmetRyzen

Suspended
Dec 31, 2023
Adana, Turkey
It has been relatively warm in the interior of Alaska until a couple of days ago. But there is an "Arctic blast" moving toward the interior (Fairbanks, and vicinity). The forecasts calls for clear days and nights with temperatures of -15º F to -45º F (-26º to -42º C) starting Sunday through next week.

Today we had a 5.3 magnitude earthquake, but there were no reports of damage. It was a little exciting for me and one of the dogs that ran to hide in a bedroom, as I sat on my favorite "couch potato chair." My wife thought that the loud sound and house shaking was from an Army helicopter flying over the house. I started laughing quite loud because she didn't realize it had been a strong ground tremor. :)
You're not alone. We were caught in the February 6 earthquakes while we were sleeping and it was the scariest moment I have ever experienced.

• Wow
Reactions: decafjava

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
You're not alone. We were caught in the February 6 earthquakes while we were sleeping and it was the scariest moment I have ever experienced.
My wife can sleep through thunder, lightning, and an earthquake. In the early '90s we had a 7+ "something" earthquake. I was standing on a tall ladder working on the roof eaves of my house, while she supported the ladder for me. The house and ground were shaking, and the trees swayed back and forth for several seconds as I stepped down from the ladder. I told my wife that it was an earthquake, and she asked, "are you sure, I thought that the wind was making the trees move like that" :eek:

She was washing dishes in the kitchen through yesterday's ground tremor. Not a hint about an earthquake taking place :)
My hands are really cold right now. For some reason, my hands are always cold.
Same for my wife's hands and feet. She wears warm mittens outdoors during the winter, and very warm & insulated "slipper socks" indoors. She's very healthy, does not smoke, and is slim (in great shape physically ad emotionally), so the symptoms don't relate to a medical condition. My hands get cold when I am very tired or lack sleep, but that's about it. My wife is full of energy all day :)

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
A lot of rain and some milder degrees, and most of the snow are almost gone 🌧️
Weather expected to be between -3C˚ - +3C˚ (- 25/26F˚- 37/38˚F) the week to come.
Wish for an Early Spring soon☀️

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The temperature reached to -42º F (-41.11111 C) after midnight (early this morning)-in the outlining areas of Fairbanks, Alaska. The forecast is for temperatures in the low -30s F (-34s C) at night this week.

• Wow

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
27 January, 2024 at 8:20 PM AK
Fairbanks, Alaska the temperature is -40º (F & C). The weather forecast predicts -45º by 3:00 AM. :)

oldBCguy

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2021
Burnaby, BC, Canada
27 January, 2024 at 8:20 PM AK
Fairbanks, Alaska the temperature is -40º (F & C). The weather forecast predicts -45º by 3:00 AM. :)
.. been there, did that for a few years back in late-60's. And that's definitely cold!! But so dry. And I actually found it easier to dress for that cold, than the damp cold here, or out east .. endured for more years than I wish to remember! :)
Stay warm!!!

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
.. been there, did that for a few years back in late-60's. And that's definitely cold!! But so dry. And I actually found it easier to dress for that cold, than the damp cold here, or out east .. endured for more years than I wish to remember! :)
Stay warm!!!
Yes, the air is very dry when it this cold, even indoors. The air-exchanger in my house (HRV) manages and adjusts the level of moisture between outdoors and indoors. But since the air is so dry outdoors it barely can maintain the moisture indoors about 12%. Dry air means static electricity building up anywhere that's not grounded :) Any moisture emanating from power plants and automobiles turns into fog. wearing outer garments that block wind, and layers of synthetic materials underneath keep you warm. The face, hands or any flesh have to be covered, of course, and roomy winter boots are a must. It's made it to -46º early this morning.

Hopefully it will be a little warmer when The Yukon Quest starts next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldBCguy

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Enjoy! What some people do by the University of Alaska thermometer in Fairbanks 😁

Anyway, there is a chance that the video won't play, but there are plenty of similar photos of students and tourists posing by the thermometer when the temperature reaches -40 degrees, except that some of the people are completely nude, usually posterior nudity :)

P.S. Friday February 2, 2024, 20 11:05 AM:
The temperature in Fairbanks is -40 degrees. The forecast calls for -52º F (-46.66667 C) tonight.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: rhett7660
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.