Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The forecast for the California/Nevada mountains this weekend has been a raging blizzard with up to 12 feet of snow. That's quite a lot for anyone not in Buffalo, NY anyway.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The forecast for the California/Nevada mountains this weekend has been a raging blizzard with up to 12 feet of snow. That's quite a lot for anyone not in Buffalo, NY anyway.

While we didn't get the snow, we did get the rain and it has been really chilly. While the temperature shows mid 50's to low to mid 60's it has been a cold to the bone temperatures. Very damp.

oldBCguy

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2021
Burnaby, BC, Canada
A very 'damp-cold' start to our day here. When up and able able to actually see anything outside, from inside, I saw it had snowed overnight, and was still 'snowing' ...with new-fallen snow on the trees, roof tops, and such. But that changed after a few hours, and currently, it's still dark, damp, and dismal, but at least the damp has turned to rain, so the overnight white, will/should be gone soon. A rather cool high, of 6 C, is predicted for our day. .

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
A very 'damp-cold' start to our day here. When up and able able to actually see anything outside, from inside, I saw it had snowed overnight, and was still 'snowing' ...with new-fallen snow on the trees, roof tops, and such. But that changed after a few hours, and currently, it's still dark, damp, and dismal, but at least the damp has turned to rain, so the overnight white, will/should be gone soon. A rather cool high, of 6 C, is predicted for our day. .

Brrrrrrr. The dampness for me, makes it feel that much colder. When the air is damp and then you throw cold rain into the mix. Brrrrrr. Thankfully, we don't get snow down where I am, I think the last time the city was snowed on was in the 20's or 30's.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
While we didn't get the snow, we did get the rain and it has been really chilly. While the temperature shows mid 50's to low to mid 60's it has been a cold to the bone temperatures. Very damp.
There has been a very cold breeze here, in contrast to last week when it felt like spring.

Reactions: rhett7660

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
28 degrees (-2C) this morning in NYC. It's March 21st. Unacceptable!

:)
😁 That's crazy! It is around 42 (5º C) degrees in Fairbanks, Alaska. But it drops to perhaps 28 degrees at night, at least this and next week. However, the weather in the interior of Alaska can change rapidly, so it is quite possible for the temperatures to drop below 0 F. this month; it has happened before. We have had snow falling in May some years past.

The forecast calls for the following temperatures (night temp./day temp) starting today, Thursday 21, 2024):
Today 16 degrees/ 42 degrees
Fri 17/42
Sat 19/43, and so it continues through next week.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
27 degrees this morning, with wind gusts in the 30 mph range - not happy about this turn of events. I usually go running in the morning, and I just can't bring myself to be running in mid-teen windchill, not when its the tail end of March

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That time of year again. Today's high will be 82º. It's not April yet. I think this is probably the shortest winter I've experienced in Phoenix, since we moved here 23.5 years ago.

Reinstalled the two portable A/C units and starting to get comfortable. Tomorrow and Monday will bring rain and highs in the upper 60s, but the days following see us back in the high 80s. I wanted the A/C reinstalled this weekend while it was not raining and not so hot. Because I don't want to be installing them later during the workweek and be sweating doing it.

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Here in Northern California, it's in-between Winter and Spring with temperatures around 65. I went to get cash for my rent and a burrito, and just as I turned to walk home, it was raining. Thankfully, my umbrella was safe at home.

The owners of the house mentioned a US$1400 electric and natural gas bill. We haven't done anything special, so having a bill over three times the typical bill is incredible. The air conditioning won't be used as much this year, I'm sure, even though 100-110 degrees F is typical in summer.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Here in Northern California, it's in-between Winter and Spring with temperatures around 65. I went to get cash for my rent and a burrito, and just as I turned to walk home, it was raining. Thankfully, my umbrella was safe at home.

The owners of the house mentioned a US$1400 electric and natural gas bill. We haven't done anything special, so having a bill over three times the typical bill is incredible. The air conditioning won't be used as much this year, I'm sure, even though 100-110 degrees F is typical in summer.
Our central A/C went out in mid-July 2020 during one of the hottest recorded summers in Phoenix. This year we will finally be able to afford getting it replaced ($6-8K is not cheap). We've been running portable and window A/C since it went out.

Last year our electric bill topped $600, the first time we've ever crossed that threshold. The only side benefit is that the gas bill during summer tends to be less than $25.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Last year our electric bill topped $600, the first time we've ever crossed that threshold. The only side benefit is that the gas bill during summer tends to be less than $25.

I am stunned how cheap my electric bill is here. Last summer it got hot. And according to my new neighbors, it was one of the hotter summers they could remember. But my electric bill was very reasonable and I like A/C.

Has to be the lack of humidity as back east my A/C would run 24/7 June - August just keeping the humidity at bay. Here it runs for 20 minutes and shuts off for a couple of hours.

But it also could be that this house has spray foam insulation vs fiberglass batts and blown-in from the old house.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am stunned how cheap my electric bill is here. Last summer it got hot. And according to my new neighbors, it was one of the hotter summers they could remember. But my electric bill was very reasonable and I like A/C.

Has to be the lack of humidity as back east my A/C would run 24/7 June - August just keeping the humidity at bay. Here it runs for 20 minutes and shuts off for a couple of hours.

But it also could be that this house has spray foam insulation vs fiberglass batts and blown-in from the old house.
A large part of the electric bill (since 2020) has been the almost 18+ hours operation of three portable A/C units and two window units. None of them draw less than 1250W. It's frustrating, but without the central A/C, keeping a two story 1600sq ft house cool means the units are on. In July and August I'm also forced to put air recirculators directly in front of the A/C units. Even then, I'm not cooling hallways or bathrooms or the laundry room, like central A/C would.

We get central fixed and I can sell these units and our bill drops like a rock.

If your bill is that low, I'd love to have it. Our lowest bill of the year just generated this week - $120. It just goes up from here.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

My house in Florida had R31 insulation from the roof down to the ceiling, but the walls were concrete block and there was no insulation in the walls.

Still, the house did pretty well and the electricity was inexpensive. The natural gas, through a company across the state was bad, and the furnace, water heater, dryer, and stove were all using natural gas.

I had checked New Mexico before I moved back to California and they were using evaporatorive cooling, instead of air conditioning. That sounds like those desktop devices where you drop ice into them, and they blow a breeze over the ice.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My house in Florida had R31 insulation from the roof down to the ceiling, but the walls were concrete block and there was no insulation in the walls.

Still, the house did pretty well and the electricity was inexpensive. The natural gas, through a company across the state was bad, and the furnace, water heater, dryer, and stove were all using natural gas.

I had checked New Mexico before I moved back to California and they were using evaporatorive cooling, instead of air conditioning. That sounds like those desktop devices where you drop ice into them, and they blow a breeze over the ice.
From 1984 to 1997 when I moved out, my parents house was a 1960s-era Southern California home. If it had ever had insulation in the walls, it had expired by the time we moved in. I froze in the winter and sweated buckets in the summer. When we moved in, it had an 'all house fan'. That's this giant fan in the attic that blows ambient air down into the hallway. Does absolutely nothing but make noise, generate heat and blow dust around. My dad eventually disconnected it and covered the vent up with drywall.

When I was around 15, he had me help him install an evap cooler. As you indicate, yes, it's basically a breeze over ice. With temps under 90º though they work pretty well. By that time, I'd also gotten a ceiling fan in my room and we (my mom, my sister and I) had wheedled an A/C unit out of him for the living room.

So, moving to Phoenix was a new experience for me with central air and heat. Our central heat still works as the furnace is separate, but when the A/C went out it was hard for a while.

Some older homes out here have both evap coolers and A/C units. The evap saves money when temps are low enough for them to be effective. But A/C out here is as essential as a furnace in cold climates. It's not a luxury, it's a necessity. Guaranteed, in August at some point, we will hit ~120º.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
From 1984 to 1997 when I moved out, my parents house was a 1960s-era Southern California home. If it had ever had insulation in the walls, it had expired by the time we moved in. I froze in the winter and sweated buckets in the summer. When we moved in, it had an 'all house fan'. That's this giant fan in the attic that blows ambient air down into the hallway. Does absolutely nothing but make noise, generate heat and blow dust around. My dad eventually disconnected it and covered the vent up with drywall.

When I was around 15, he had me help him install an evap cooler. As you indicate, yes, it's basically a breeze over ice. With temps under 90º though they work pretty well. By that time, I'd also gotten a ceiling fan in my room and we (my mom, my sister and I) had wheedled an A/C unit out of him for the living room.

So, moving to Phoenix was a new experience for me with central air and heat. Our central heat still works as the furnace is separate, but when the A/C went out it was hard for a while.

Some older homes out here have both evap coolers and A/C units. The evap saves money when temps are low enough for them to be effective. But A/C out here is as essential as a furnace in cold climates. It's not a luxury, it's a necessity. Guaranteed, in August at some point, we will hit ~120º.
Interesting about the whole house fan. My parents had one in Indiana, but it blew the air out of the attic vent, so it virtually sucked the hot air out. Had you reversed the direction and had a way to vent the air outside, it might have worked.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Interesting about the whole house fan. My parents had one in Indiana, but it blew the air out of the attic vent, so it virtually sucked the hot air out. Had you reversed the direction and had a way to vent the air outside, it might have worked.
I'm not surprised it was blowing in. That house had a lot of strange stuff going on. It was a foreclosure and the previous owners left in an angry rush (they vandalized outside phone wiring and cut the water line to the slide for the pool even. I'd never knew house fans existed and even until today I didn't realize they were supposed to blow out!

My dad probably didn't know either, he was born and grew up in Sioux Falls.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm not surprised it was blowing in. That house had a lot of strange stuff going on. It was a foreclosure and the previous owners left in an angry rush (they vandalized outside phone wiring and cut the water line to the slide for the pool even. I'd never knew house fans existed and even until today I didn't realize they were supposed to blow out!

My dad probably didn't know either, he was born and grew up in Sioux Falls.
Coming back to California after so long, I keep finding things that don't make sense, as though the whole state was high for a few years after we left. 😆

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

when I was a kid, we had an attic fan in our house in Oklahoma and as you said, it's used to suck the hot air out of the house which in turn draws in cooler air from outside. It was very effective but very noisy

Reactions: splifingate

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
when I was a kid, we had an attic fan in our house in Oklahoma and as you said, it's used to suck the hot air out of the house which in turn draws in cooler air from outside. It was very effective but very noisy
I guess that the one in my parents' house was much stronger. They only started it for about 15 minutes from time to time, usually in the morning.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL

I have one in my house (ATL). . . I like the idea, but it just doesn't sync with whole-home A/C

I've dis-connected the circuit, plan to remove it, and drywall the aperture.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Afternoon highs ~27C the next three days, with lows around ~17

I'm most-happy when the lows are ~25, so I'm a few-months-off from peak homeostasis ;)

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Our national weather service here in Sweden had warned for plenty of snow and cold today ☃️
For sure it does come down a bit of snow, but it seems to become water of it pretty fast.
It's not very cold, around 0°C.
So it's ok, but not inviting to get out - slushy weather.
In the end of the week it will pour down lots of rain. After that the spring might get through for real.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Northern California is back to winter weather. It's rainy, chilly, and dark again. Some people are happy for the delay in the heat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.