Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Enjoy! What some people do by the University of Alaska thermometer in Fairbanks 😁

Anyway, there is a chance that the video won't play, but there are plenty of similar photos of students and tourists posing by the thermometer when the temperature reaches -40 degrees, except that some of the people are completely nude, usually posterior nudity :)

P.S. Friday February 2, 2024, 20 11:05 AM:
The temperature in Fairbanks is -40 degrees. The forecast calls for -52º F (-46.66667 C) tonight.

Good lord! We are in the low to mid 40's and 50's right now and expecting a lot of rain over the next few days. I think you have us beat! LOL...

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Good lord! We are in the low to mid 40's and 50's right now and expecting a lot of rain over the next few days. I think you have us beat! LOL...
I wanted to post another link where there was a very long line of vehicles waiting inline for the opportunity to take photos of themselves by the thermometer, but changed my mind because some may find it offensive (one of the young ladies was only wearing boots and a very small tank-top). It wasn't frontal nudity, however. I found it funny instead of offensive, because at my old age I understand that young adults are just having fun and not hurting anybody. There also was a pregnant lady showing her "pregnancy" (just her prominent trunk). Her child may have a good laugh someday, I imagine.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I wanted to post another link where there was a very long line of vehicles waiting inline for the opportunity to take photos of themselves by the thermometer, but changed my mind because some may find it offensive (one of the young ladies was only wearing boots and a very small tank-top). It wasn't frontal nudity, however. I found it funny instead of offensive, because at my old age I understand that young adults are just having fun and not hurting anybody. There also was a pregnant lady showing her "pregnancy" (just her prominent trunk). Her child may have a good laugh someday, I imagine.

Reminds me of the folks who do the polar plunges... lol... There always seems to be one or twenty women and men for that matter in really small bathing suits doing the plunge! Crazy I tell yeah!!!!

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
It's 60 F in Buffalo NY now.
Now we are going though a week (hopefully longer) or warmer temperatures. This happens sometimes in the interior of Alaska. The temperature in Fairbanks is 17º F (-8...C) at 7:53 PM, Friday, and the forecast points to temperatures in the 20º's tomorrow. Just be aware that sometimes it warms in the interior of Alaska and Canada, while a cold front moves South through the US about a week later.

Reminds me of the folks who do the polar plunges... lol... There always seems to be one or twenty women and men for that matter in really small bathing suits doing the plunge! Crazy I tell yeah!!!!
A good layer of fat helps when taking those plunges. Not kidding!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Was 36F/2.22C yesterday morning. I know that doesn't sound impressive but for the Tampa, FL area that's pretty darn cold. ;)
I lived in the Orlando area for 11 years. One day, the window clip on my VW Golf broke and my window was stuck in the down position. As my buddy and I were going to eat, it was 28 degrees F out. Had I not lived in snow country, I'd have been unable to deal with it, I'm sure.

Reactions: richard13

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Now we are going though a week (hopefully longer) or warmer temperatures. This happens sometimes in the interior of Alaska. The temperature in Fairbanks is 17º F (-8...C) at 7:53 PM, Friday, and the forecast points to temperatures in the 20º's tomorrow. Just be aware that sometimes it warms in the interior of Alaska and Canada, while a cold front moves South through the US about a week later.

A good layer of fat helps when taking those plunges. Not kidding!

Buffalo is at the end of Lake Erie, which is actually an inland sea. The generator of all of Buffalo's bad weather.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Buffalo is at the end of Lake Erie, which is actually an inland sea. The generator of all of Buffalo's bad weather.
I had heard that said about Lake Superior. Apparently, it's a controversial subject. A quick search will lead you to various discussions of what constitutes an inland sea. But, they certainly get a lot of snow in Buffalo. (not that it has anything to do with the "status" of the lake)

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Does it still get very cold now and then in Buffalo and Water Town? One of my former coworkers used to tell me about the icy weather around Buffalo.

I lived in the Orlando area for 11 years. One day, the window clip on my VW Golf broke and my window was stuck in the down position. As my buddy and I were going to eat, it was 28 degrees F out. Had I not lived in snow country, I'd have been unable to deal with it, I'm sure.
Windows closed-shot by ice are quite normal in here, and sometimes-if one is in a drive-thru lane at a coffee stand, one may have to get out of car to tell the barista what one wants. :)

If you park in a warm garage, then you can let the ice thaw, but still have to dry any moisture on the windows before driving out of the garage. But it is very common for people to have more than one vehicle, so a lot of us park some of them outdoors. The vehicles are "winterized" (have a block heater, oil pan heater, and either a battery blanket or a trickle charger. When parked outside, one has to plug the vehicle into an electrical outlet if it is below zero. I park four vehicles outside if the temperature is colder than -10º F. Each vehicle has an electric timer to power the heaters for a period of 3 hours before starting the engines.

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Does it still get very cold now and then in Buffalo and Water Town? One of my former coworkers used to tell me about the icy weather around Buffalo.

Windows closed-shot by ice are quite normal in here, and sometimes-if one is in a drive-thru lane at a coffee stand, one may have to get out of car to tell the barista what one wants. :)

If you park in a warm garage, then you can let the ice thaw, but still have to dry any moisture on the windows before driving out of the garage. But it is very common for people to have more than one vehicle, so a lot of us park some of them outdoors. The vehicles are "winterized" (have a block heater, oil pan heater, and either a battery blanket or a trickle charger. When parked outside, one has to plug the vehicle into an electrical outlet if it is below zero. I park four vehicles outside if the temperature is colder than -10º F. Each vehicle has an electric timer to power the heaters for a period of 3 hours before starting the engines.
I never did all that. I've been to -26 degrees F but -12 was typical at night. At -12, I never had a problem starting my car, but I seem to remember leaving work New Year's Eve and falling on the ice outside the office, wondering if I was going to be able to get up again or whether someone would find me two days later. 😆

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I never did all that. I've been to -26 degrees F but -12 was typical at night. At -12, I never had a problem starting my car, but I seem to remember leaving work New Year's Eve and falling on the ice outside the office, wondering if I was going to be able to get up again or whether someone would find me two days later. 😆
I have been lucky to not fall on ice, but have done it indoors a few times. When falling on solid ice the worst that can happen is for one to land on one's head, but landing on one's knees, hip, or elbows can be problematic, too. Something else that can happen when falling on ice is for one's legs to go in different directions, which in turn can cause a lot of pain and injury. But falling in public seems to cause a log of pain to one's ego. When I see others falling and then rapidly recovering, I pretend to not have seen what happened. But if the falls right near, I always lend a helping hand, regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: bousozoku

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
After about 2 years, we finally got a decent snowstorm. About 8 inches of heavy, wet snow here in Southern Westchester.
It is relatively warm in the Interior of Alaska this week. We are having day temperatures in the high 20's F (-6º+ C). Will probably continue this way for another week (keeping my fingers crossed) 😀

Lioness~

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2017
Mars
Winter is more or less over here, we have some good spring wibes here now 😎
Temp is like +5 - +7ºC

Looking forward to some warm spring and summer now - see you again when winter arrives here.

I bet @AlaskaMoose will keep up the low degrees here 👍🏼

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

Buffalo can get cold and windy, but it doesn't snow as bad as it used to when I was a kid. Now, when we get snow, its a handful of days a year (with one or two storms hitting). Though we hit 60F in January. But usually, 20-30. Places like Syracuse and Denver actually get more snow than Buffalo.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I had heard that said about Lake Superior. Apparently, it's a controversial subject. A quick search will lead you to various discussions of what constitutes an inland sea. But, they certainly get a lot of snow in Buffalo. (not that it has anything to do with the "status" of the lake)

I don't know what they "officially" designate the Great Lakes, but I know that getting caught in a storm on the lakes will make you feel like you are in the middle of the North Atlantic.

You know how if you stand in an open field, it feels a lot windier and colder than if you are surrounded by buildings? That's what Lake Erie is to Buffalo - like standing in an open field. The winds and weather patterns blow across Lake Erie, (a flat surface) picking up moisture and dumping it on Buffalo.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Buffalo can get cold and windy, but it doesn't snow as bad as it used to when I was a kid. Now, when we get snow, its a handful of days a year (with one or two storms hitting). Though we hit 60F in January. But usually, 20-30. Places like Syracuse and Denver actually get more snow than Buffalo.
Over in Northern NY, by Plattsburgh and also Burlington across lake Champlain, it used to snow lot more in the '70s than now. It used to get quite cold in Watertown, and I have heard similar stories about Buffalo.

Reactions: Rafterman

oldBCguy

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2021
Burnaby, BC, Canada
.. we had some snow flurries come our way in the afternoon yesterday, and I guess overnight. But this morning any signs of white were gone, and it was raining rather heavily .... along with some wind. A rather cold, very damp, dark, and dismal day -- somewhat typical for a winter's day on the west coast of BC.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
.. we had some snow flurries come our way in the afternoon yesterday, and I guess overnight. But this morning any signs of white were gone, and it was raining rather heavily .... along with some wind. A rather cold, very damp, dark, and dismal day -- somewhat typical for a winter's day on the west coast of BC.
We are having another cold blast in the Interior of Alaska, hopefully not as cold as the previous one two or three weeks ago. But from -20º to -40º F (-28 to -40 C) could be possible this week, at least at night. The temperature rises during the day. For example, it was from -24º to -28º early this morning, and -8º this afternoon around 4:00 PM, but it could drop to -29º by 4:00 AM Friday.

Last edited:

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
and -8º this afternoon around 4:00 PM

Ah! Balmy!

Indoor Activities it is! ;)

Here in ATL, it went from 22 (yesterday), to 13 (today), and is forecast to hover around 5 tmrw.

I grew-up in the Central Midwest, and I remember applying chains to the trucks in -17 weather (without gloves (in the snow (ten hours before breakfast))) ;)

Now--having acclimated to the South--even when it dips below 14, I scramble for my wool.

Cold == cold.

• Haha
Reactions: AlaskaMoose

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Ah! Balmy!

Indoor Activities it is! ;)

Here in ATL, it went from 22 (yesterday), to 13 (today), and is forecast to hover around 5 tmrw.

I grew-up in the Central Midwest, and I remember applying chains to the trucks in -17 weather (without gloves (in the snow (ten hours before breakfast))) ;)

Now--having acclimated to the South--even when it dips below 14, I scramble for my wool.

Cold == cold.
Yes, my wife and I stay indoors on the coldest days (somewhere from -30 to 40 degrees F) now that we are retired, unless we have to do certain chores such as shopping, and things like that. It was -24º yesterday morning when we drove about 40 miles (round trip) to buy groceries and a few other things. We have to place some of the groceries (anything that can freeze between supermarket and the car) in insulated bags, before stepping out and walking to the car. In the afternoon I spent some time taking photos at one of the local sled dog races, but by then the temperature had risen to -8º. In these instances I wear super-insulate clothing and boots. If my feet and hands start getting cold, I put hand and and foot warmers, one in each glove and boot. These are small bags that contain a chemical material that gets warm when exposed to the air. The hand warmers are small and rectangular in shape, while the foot warmers are similar in shape to inner sole of one's boot.

It gets a little tiring sometimes, but we have become accustomed to such inconveniences. We just don't like living in large and crowded cities anymore. The cost of living is quite high, but we enjoy the peacefulness of this place :)

Last edited:

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
we have become accustomed to such inconveniences. We just don't like living in large and crowded cities anymore. The cost of living is quite high, but we enjoy the peacefulness of this place :)

Ah, Mr. Moose, you do whap the nail on the head ;)

My heritage is mostly rural, but this current Urban Period™ in my life is essential, albeit not as gratifying.

Can it be said that one's COL achieves the relative gradients that we experienced three-decades-ago?

My COL is (perceptually) quite high, and I sometimes die for the pastoral memories of my early years in the central Midwest...

...including those where there were times when I was the only one entering into an intersection...

One of the many intersections through which I must currently navigate in The Urban is that I must compete with so many 'others'.

My 13mi commute should take me 20min, but it often takes me 1,5h

It stayed near 5, today, with consistent, driving rain.

As much as I grow weary of the impending 30+ Summers, I won't cry over an 11 average over the next few months ;)

Reactions: AlaskaMoose
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.