Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
As it will continue to get colder here, I invested in a new down-jacket.
The old have no good zipper left in it, and not worth to replace it either. The jacket has given me many years of warmth up here in the north.
Waiting for a new navy-blue to arrive next week 😄

View attachment 2330449
Very good idea. It is a good idea to wear an outer garment that has a "wind block" layer.

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Very good idea. It is a good idea to wear an outer garment that has a "wind block" layer.
My last one that was the predecessor of this new one, was wind and rain tight as well, so I expect nothing less from this new one I bought. After a few years, it usually can be good to strengthen the impregnation however.
Hope for delivery this week to come 🤞🏼

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
My last one that was the predecessor of this new one, was wind and rain tight as well, so I expect nothing less from this new one I bought. After a few years, it usually can be good to strengthen the impregnation however.
Hope for delivery this week to come 🤞🏼
Agree.
I usually wear a couple of layers made of synthetic materials over a synthetic shirt when it is very cold outdoors. The idea is to stay warm without sweating while staying active. If I feel like I am getting too warm, I remove one of the undergarments or layers of clothing, sometimes both. I also wear pack-boots or other boots that are roomy inside to allow for thick socks, boots that are designed for wearing outdoors when it's very cold, and a good quality and warm set of mittens for my hands, plus winter headgear, of course. It is not very pleasant when your head, hands, or feet become cold.

I usually carry in my car a few other items to keep me and my camera warm, too. :)

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Tomorrow my new down-jacket will arrive for pick-up 👍🏼♥️🙏🏼
In good timing as the temp will expect to go down to -15˚C this week, and with a LOT of wind too.
Had some adventures with my old down jacket here over the holidays in a LOT of wind, I survived though 🥶
In the north of the country they have the coldest degrees in like 25 yrs, over 40˚C and counting, some have been without energy too in that weather.
No complains of the indoor heat here though.

oldBCguy

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2021
Burnaby, BC, Canada
In good timing as the temp will expect to go down to -15˚C this week, and with a LOT of wind too.
.. enjoy!! I have fond memories of when I went to Fairbanks, Alaska .. way back in the mid-1960's ... I ordered a down-parka (from Eddie Bauer), and was so happy to see it come in time for my first winter there, and it was so enjoyed several winters after that first one!!

Reactions: VulchR and Lioness~

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I gave up my blizzards for hurricanes and I gave up hurricanes for earthquakes.

Northern California isn't horribly cold. It's going to be a little above freezing overnight tonight. However, the lack of humidity makes it feel 20 Fahrenheit degrees colder that it felt on the other coast. Thank goodness, I'm not near the ocean. Being along the shore in California, it feels chilly in summer.

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
.. enjoy!! I have fond memories of when I went to Fairbanks, Alaska .. way back in the mid-1960's ... I ordered a down-parka (from Eddie Bauer), and was so happy to see it come in time for my first winter there, and it was so enjoyed several winters after that first one!!
It was colder last week, but this week we have had high winds (Chinook winds, I assume), and the temperature rose to 5º F (-15º C) today, and may drop to -10 tonight, and probably twice as cold Friday night. How has the weather been in BC? I imagine that the weather in Juneau, Alaska is similar to the weather in BC.

Had some adventures with my old down jacket here over the holidays in a LOT of wind, I survived though 🥶
In the north of the country they have the coldest degrees in like 25 yrs, over 40˚C and counting, some have been without energy too in that weather.
No complains of the indoor heat here though.
Losing electrical power can make life a little difficult, unless you can use a wood stove to stay warm. At least one can melt snow to drink :)

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I lived too long in humid areas. I found the weather in Florida more compatible, but I love California more.

Same. Even FL is too humid for us. Ended up in No. AZ. A bit hot in the summer, but not like the Valley. A bit chilly this morning (29) and snow in the forecast for Sunday.

But usually Sunny and not gray skies for days on end.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Same. Even FL is too humid for us. Ended up in No. AZ. A bit hot in the summer, but not like the Valley. A bit chilly this morning (29) and snow in the forecast for Sunday.

But usually Sunny and not gray skies for days on end.
My bane and a negative being raised in Vancouver BC, and now in Geneva Switzerland we have similar weather. Oh well my choice...

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
After 60F in Buffalo over Christmas, back to the more familiar 25-30 and snow :(

Last edited:

oldBCguy

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2021
Burnaby, BC, Canada
It was colder last week, but this week we have had high winds (Chinook winds, I assume), and the temperature rose to 5º F (-15º C) today, and may drop to -10 tonight, and probably twice as cold Friday night. How has the weather been in BC? I imagine that the weather in Juneau, Alaska is similar to the weather in BC.
The weather in Juneau is similar to the weather along the northwest coast of BC, but down here in the southwest coast, it's much milder, and especially so, over the last several years. Winter weather for us is lots of 'cold' rain, with a short spell, or two, of some frezing cold, and maybe snow with it.

It was much 'colder & whiter' years ago. As a child and teen in Vancouver, we had much more snow, and related winter weather, than we have had here for several years. So far this year, winter has been like 'spring or early fall'. But forecasts call for a change to much more "winter-like" weather on its way for next week.

I remember the many dry and cold days of winter in Fairbanks. And the days with ice fog. And the nights of Northern Lights. Experiences that will never be forgotten.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The weather in Juneau is similar to the weather along the northwest coast of BC, but down here in the southwest coast, it's much milder, and especially so, over the last several years. Winter weather for us is lots of 'cold' rain, with a short spell, or two, of some frezing cold, and maybe snow with it.

It was much 'colder & whiter' years ago. As a child and teen in Vancouver, we had much more snow, and related winter weather, than we have had here for several years. So far this year, winter has been like 'spring or early fall'. But forecasts call for a change to much more "winter-like" weather on its way for next week.

I remember the many dry and cold days of winter in Fairbanks. And the days with ice fog. And the nights of Northern Lights. Experiences that will never be forgotten.
Yes, it can be quite beautiful during the winter, specially from March through the end of September, and sometimes October. November through February bring a lock of daylight. Wow haven't have very much ice fog this winter. For some reason it has been warmer than usual. Maybe because of El Niño's warm ocean currents? Anyway, the weather forecast was for -12 degrees today, and when looking at the outdoors thermometer at the back pork of my house, about 1:00 PM they showed +19º F (-7 C).

The ice fog results on a beautiful layer of ice on the trees. Agree with you.

Reactions: oldBCguy

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Had a few days with peaks down to and a bit below -10˚C so I could go out and test my new down-jacket. All great, no freezing.

Some milder days now, around -1–5˚C but the cold 🥶 will come back. Expect it between -5/-10˚C the rest of the month pretty much. So our snow will stay.

Reactions: oldBCguy

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
As it will continue to get colder here, I invested in a new down-jacket.
The old have no good zipper left in it, and not worth to replace it either. The jacket has given me many years of warmth up here in the north.
Waiting for a new navy-blue to arrive next week 😄

View attachment 2330449

I got myself a new coat in the Black Friday sales. My old North Face one had a big rip on its sleeve. Wanted something warmer too. So I got a Helly Hansen down jacket at a good price and on the warmer days, + 10 degree C, I've been melting lol, but really am appreciating it in these colder days when walking the dog. It's currently hovering around +2 degree C, dropping to around minus 1 at night at the moment, but next week we may see a large drop in temps and lots of snow, hopefully not on Tuesday though as I have to take my mother for an appointment!

Last 2 or 3 winters were mild, so wonder if we will see a colder one this year?

I'm in southern England. We have had some pretty bad snowfalls on the odd winter and temps to minus 6 to 10 before. There is a photo taken from the ISS of the entire UK on a clear sky and it shows the whole country as white lol. I like snow but only when I don't have to drive in it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lioness~

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
So today was the coldest day thus far... I know we are only nine days into the new year. Temperature was showing 38 degrees and my car had a nice little coat of frost on it. While it was only showing 38, the wind and wetness in the air made it feel much colder.

Please remember, we (generalized term here), are use to weather that is in the low 60's high 50's... and that is considered freezing for us! LOL.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I survive, it could’ve been colder. Enjoying the extra meditation and sleep, no doubt. But I look forward to end March/April ☀️

Celcius
IMG_0950.jpeg

Fahrenheit
IMG_0949.jpeg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.