Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Oh, yes, tell me about it!!!!! I think I've gone through about four or maybe it's five, large boxes of Kleenex over the past month or so.....even when using Zyrtec to help keep the sneezing and blowing down a bit -- not to mention also dosing my itchy eyes with Zaditor as well. This has been the worst pollen season that I can recall!

Even so, I still like to have my windows open and enjoy that wonderful fresh, even if pollen-laden, air coming in.....I'll happily pay the price and I know that the pollen count will go back down eventually, I'll stop sneezing and my eyes will stop itching eventually.....

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Oh, yes, tell me about it!!!!! I think I've gone through about four or maybe it's five, large boxes of Kleenex over the past month or so.....even when using Zyrtec to help keep the sneezing and blowing down a bit -- not to mention also dosing my itchy eyes with Zaditor as well. This has been the worst pollen season that I can recall!

Even so, I still like to have my windows open and enjoy that wonderful fresh, even if pollen-laden, air coming in.....I'll happily pay the price and I know that the pollen count will go back down eventually, I'll stop sneezing and my eyes will stop itching eventually.....

We have tree pollen in the spring, grass pollen in the summer and ragweed in the fall. Ragweed is the worst for me and tree second worst. I do manage though.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Tree, flower and grass pollen have always been my enemies, and Ragweed not all that far behind! Thank heaven for Zyrtec, which really does help a lot, and also for Zaditor. This spring has been the worst for my eyes, much more than the usual sneezing. I'll live.....

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Major storm along the front range of Colorado. So far 10” of snow and it is supposed to keep snowing until 10 am MDT.

F37DBAB6-E797-42F1-86BE-5E5BE4B644E0.jpeg

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Going out to play tennis in about 30 minutes. It will be only 71 degrees and overcast but very humid. I really wanted to play later this afternoon when it will be 90 but my partner prefers cooler temperatures. So I'll run a few miles when it's in the 90s.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
82F° here in Scotland. :oops:
And a small but not statistically insignificant chance in the next couple of weeks England could breach 40C (104F) for the first time, and a decent chance of topping the previous all time high (38.7C/ 101.7F) which was only set in 2019 🥵

Reactions: VulchR

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Wow, we had a heat wave in May but July has been plesant so far - though it gets up to 28-29 Celsius the evenings remain cool enough heading down to 16-27 by 4-5 AM. This is the kind of summer I like.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wow, we had a heat wave in May but July has been plesant so far - though it gets up to 28-29 Celsius the evenings remain cool enough heading down to 16-27 by 4-5 AM. This is the kind of summer I like.
115Fº today. It was 100º by 8am, had only cooled off to about 90º last night. We're looking to be above 110º every day until next Monday. It's like Mother Nature decided that August would come before July. I'm sure hoping August isn't going to be Hellscape month.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
We have temps in the 50s to 60s at night and in the 80s during the day - I like it a little cooler than that but it's definitely comfortable for sleeping. I ran 7 miles outside in the sun yesterday, something I haven't done in at about five years, and it was really nice.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yet people deny global warming is a thing.
Yeah at this point it feels like even if recent escalating events finally jolt people into taking it seriously, have we already missed the chance to save the situation? Things really seem to have gone from 0 to 11 over the last decade, and we're seeing weather events now that were supposed to be mid-century horrors. With more warming locked in whatever we do even just the rest of this decade is going to be turbulent!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Yeah at this point it feels like even if recent escalating events finally jolt people into taking it seriously, have we already missed the chance to save the situation? Things really seem to have gone from 0 to 11 over the last decade, and we're seeing weather events now that were supposed to be mid-century horrors. With more warming locked in whatever we do even just the rest of this decade is going to be turbulent!
Theoretically and what many scientists have said is, no, we still haven't crossed that threshold yet, but are dangerously close.

The problem is that we as a society are not willing to do what is necessary to avoid it. For instance, in electrical generation you have more coal, gas and oil plants than we should have. Yet no one is actually doing something to rapidly get rid of them. Albeit an alternative would be to reduce electrical energy consumption, but I doubt our consumer society will be for that. Another thing is simply allowing certain techs back into the mix like nuclear. We can't just toss it out, we need it as a stop gap measure to maintain a healthy grid if we intend to reduce reliance on fossil fuels.

Cars? People loathe car pooling to reduce cars on the road and public mass transportation is a joke in several developed or developing countries. No real push to get people off the road on single ride car rides. In fact, it seems people are further incentivized to drive more.

Now, doing all that is well and swell, but that still leaves the problem of CO2 still in the air. It won't come out of the atmosphere that easily and it'll take nature a good amount of time to get rid of it. This time will become extended as we refuse to stop deforestation and invest in reforestation projects. Look at the Amazon basin, I believe earlier this year a report came out that it is not a net neutral carbon emitter instead of a net negative. That means loggers down there have cut down enough trees that the Amazon is no longer able to sequester CO2 quickly.

I could go on and on, but you get the gist. We as a collective species simply don't give a flying crap and are content with tossing the can down the road and hitting that snooze button when in reality we are almost at time.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Theoretically and what many scientists have said is, no, we still haven't crossed that threshold yet, but are dangerously close.

The problem is that we as a society are not willing to do what is necessary to avoid it. For instance, in electrical generation you have more coal, gas and oil plants than we should have. Yet no one is actually doing something to rapidly get rid of them. Albeit an alternative would be to reduce electrical energy consumption, but I doubt our consumer society will be for that. Another thing is simply allowing certain techs back into the mix like nuclear. We can't just toss it out, we need it as a stop gap measure to maintain a healthy grid if we intend to reduce reliance on fossil fuels.

Cars? People loathe car pooling to reduce cars on the road and public mass transportation is a joke in several developed or developing countries. No real push to get people off the road on single ride car rides. In fact, it seems people are further incentivized to drive more.

Now, doing all that is well and swell, but that still leaves the problem of CO2 still in the air. It won't come out of the atmosphere that easily and it'll take nature a good amount of time to get rid of it. This time will become extended as we refuse to stop deforestation and invest in reforestation projects. Look at the Amazon basin, I believe earlier this year a report came out that it is not a net neutral carbon emitter instead of a net negative. That means loggers down there have cut down enough trees that the Amazon is no longer able to sequester CO2 quickly.

I could go on and on, but you get the gist. We as a collective species simply don't give a flying crap and are content with tossing the can down the road and hitting that snooze button when in reality we are almost at time.
Earth would still go thorough a natural cycle of warming and cooling, even if humans would not exist in this world. There is nothing we can do since there in's a person on earth who does not enjoy warmth when the ambient temperature is cold, or coolness when it is hot. We need a shelter, food, and water (hot or cold) to survive.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: millerj123

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Earth does go through a natural cycle of warming and cooling, yes, and as such we should be looking at getting near the tail end (relatively speaking) of the warming period right now. Instead there has been a massive spike within the last decades. There is a lot we can do to generate power and resources without causing such artificial temperature rises, but we are not doing it. Shrugging and saying "nothing we can do" is highly disingenuous and very ignorant; intentional or not I don't know.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Earth does go through a natural cycle of warming and cooling, yes, and as such we should be looking at getting near the tail end (relatively speaking) of the warming period right now. Instead there has been a massive spike within the last decades. There is a lot we can do to generate power and resources without causing such artificial temperature rises, but we are not doing it. Shrugging and saying "nothing we can do" is highly disingenuous and very ignorant; intentional or not I don't know.
How can we (humans) generate "power and resources" without using existing means (fuels, nuclear power, solar and hydro-energy), etc.?

I will give you a very simple hint, the water to drink, take showers with (hot or cold), and to flush the toilet at home: most people enjoy warm showers instead of cold, and it takes a lot of energy not only to deliver the water to your home, and to heat it before you take a shower. The average person is not going to give-up warm water in he's or her home, nor flushing the toilet, nor drinking water. Every one of us enjoy the comforts we have. Shelter, food, and water are just basic necessities to stay alive, and these things aren't produced in the home you live in. Even your home is constructed with materials that required a great amount of energy to produce, before they are transported to the worksite that is now your home. Keep in mind that I have mentioned three basic things that allow you to live comfortably.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I will just say this…

22 years ago we moved to Phoenix from Southern California. A large part of my desire to move here was the heat. But in the 22 years we've been here the summers have grown increasingly hotter and longer. This past winter we didn't get anywhere near freezing and it was the first winter I can recall that NOT happening (in the time I've been here).

We had our first 100º day in early May 2022. Normally that doesn't happen until late May. Right now, we are three days away from ending a cycle of seven days that have seen nothing less than 111º heat each day. By sunrise, we've cooled down to 91 or 92º.

The difference is that there has been a large influx of people moving in. Concrete, asphalt and buildings have sprung up in a lot of places that used to be farm fields. Heck, in just the last four years since moving in to our new home a vacant lot sprung up with single family rental homes - with minimal space between the lots.

I'm cool with urban living (I hate rural) but the result is what is happening now when you get a lot of construction and more people in one place. It's not cooling down during the night. Out here, Phoenix city government refers to it as the urban heat island. Pretty soon, if this keeps up we aren't going to have any winter to speak of.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Earth would still go thorough a natural cycle of warming and cooling, even if humans would not exist in this world. There is nothing we can do since there in's a person on earth who does not enjoy warmth when the ambient temperature is cold, or coolness when it is hot. We need a shelter, food, and water (hot or cold) to survive.
Earth does it naturally, yet we have accelerated such process exponentially. As a species we are not caring for our fellow man or the animals. Changing things drastically on the climate level is begging for food shortages, refugees displacement due to floods or unlivable conditions and overall fauna devastation.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Earth does it naturally, yet we have accelerated such process exponentially. As a species we are not caring for our fellow man or the animals. Changing things drastically on the climate level is begging for food shortages, refugees displacement due to floods or unlivable conditions and overall fauna devastation.
In my view is not that we don't care about our fellow man or the animals. There are more animals these days than before, and all depends of what king of animal you are referring to. For example, there are too many animals being dropped at the animal shelters, and there is plenty of wildlife in every State. What is happening is that the human populations around the world have increased quite a lot in the 19th-20th centuries. Once one experiences the comforts of life like one does today, one doesn't want to let go of it.

Even the activists who are telling us what to do to save the environment and things like that aren't going to stop traveling by air, water, and land. They aren't going to stop enjoying life as they know it and move to the street to sleep in a cardboard box. Nobody wants to abandon a comfortable life to live in poverty.

Last edited:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Earth would still go thorough a natural cycle of warming and cooling, even if humans would not exist in this world.
One planetary experiment with greenhouse gases has been done. It's called Venus - a planet closer to our orbit than Mars, yet with surface temperatures that can melt lead. Despite this, we insist here on Earth to pursue our planetwide uncontrolled experiment with greenhouse gases because it is profitable for rich powerful people. It's potentially suicidal in the long run and we are already seeing profound short term effects. It would take triggering just one runaway process to cause life-changing damage (e.g., methane release from permafrost, or from deep sea deposits of frozen methane thawing). Just my two cents.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
In my view is not that we don't care about our fellow man or the animals. There are more animals these days than before, and all depends of what king of animal you are referring to. For example, there are too many animals being dropped at the animal shelters, and there is plenty of wildlife in every State. What is happening is that the human populations around the world have increased quite a lot in the 19th-20th centuries. Once one experiences the comforts of life like one does today, one doesn't want to let go of it.

Even the activists who are telling us what to do to save the environment and things like that aren't going to stop traveling by air, water, and land. They aren't going to stop enjoying life as they know it and move to the street to sleep in a cardboard box. Nobody wants to abandon a comfortable life to live in poverty.
Yeah, that was my point in a post earlier. We as a society don’t want to sacrifice such pleasures.

That said, wildlife in the States is one thing. Rest of the world? A whole ‘mother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.