Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I just added an eSim to my second phone this afternoon. It too is stuck on iMessage activation. My first esim also did this and it resolved after a couple of hours.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
You are planning to exchange or buy a new phone in a few months time? Otherwise what's the point? 6 months time, the system could be more robust.

Only revert back to physical if everything remains the same 6 months later.

6 months could run up a lot of unnecessary charges.

Tonight I sent a message. Only after it was sent did I realise it had been sent as a text message via the secondary sim, why? I don't know. However, it resulted in a cost of 13 Thai Baht - around 30p for what it's worth.

Reactions: d123

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
The whole SMS sending thing with dual sims is totally flawed in my opinion.

It’s implementation is awful on the iPhone. It’s messy enough trying to call a regular contact on the secondary line but the SMS sending feature is on a other planet altogether.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I called in to request an eSIM pack and was denied since my account is PAYG. I figured that would happen but still wanted to give it a shot. But it honestly doesn't even make sense as the whole point of eSIM is the ease as to which you can use it or sign up for service. And EE have the market to themselves basically in the UK. Limiting it to pay monthly is counter-intuitive. Why not go with a much cheaper payg plan then with another carrier if you need to use a physical SIM anyway.

It's my same gripe w/ US carriers (except that none of them are even ready to activate eSIM!!). I hope they all get it together soon. This is all very annoying and I wish Apple had just released physical Dual SIMs like in Hong Kong and then given carriers more time to get this all sorted. I just want to stop carrying 2 phones, man. I don't care if it's eSIM or physical sim. I just want to use 1 phone.

/rant :rolleyes:

Reactions: Lyn2012

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
The whole SMS sending thing with dual sims is totally flawed in my opinion.

It’s implementation is awful on the iPhone. It’s messy enough trying to call a regular contact on the secondary line but the SMS sending feature is on a other planet altogether.

Agreed. As a workaround I've opened up a second conversation by sending an iMessage using the recipients email address.

I suppose once we can turn the physical sim off, another workaround would be to temporarily turn off the sim which you don't want to send the message/make the call from.

It's all a bit of a mess really.

I'd be interested to know if those using the two Physical Sim ie Hong Kong version are seeing the same issues

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
If the other person sends you an SMS to you, the iMessage thread will change back to an SMS.

Why apple just didn’t allow a way to send a message using either line 1 or 2 just like you can when you create a brand new message thread.

When working abroad if I want to send an SMS feom line 2 and let my company pay the bill I either have to delete the current thread (which could be months old, also deleting associated photos and documents) and create a new thread or press half a dozen buttons that need to be set back after the message is sent. It’s absolute nuts.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
/rant :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
If the other person sends you an SMS to you, the iMessage thread will change back to an SMS.

Why apple just didn’t allow a way to send a message using either line 1 or 2 just like you can when you create a brand new message thread.

Unfortunately, I wish that was true. I'd be playing around with this yesterday by exchanging messages with my wife. I thought the thread had changed back by doing just that. Indeed, I'd even sent several iMessages just to confirm. However, when I sent her a message this evening, it stated that the number had been changed to secondary & the message was sent as a text. At no point did I personally change this back to secondary. It's got me wondering if my signal had dropped off on EE & it had automatically used the secondary.
[doublepost=1541457857][/doublepost]
When working abroad if I want to send an SMS feom line 2 and let my company pay the bill I either have to delete the current thread (which could be months old, also deleting associated photos and documents) and create a new thread or press half a dozen buttons that need to be set back after the message is sent. It’s absolute nuts.

Have you tried temporarily disabling line 1 to see how it behaves?

jtkboston

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
I suppose once we can turn the physical sim off, another workaround would be to temporarily turn off the sim which you don't want to send the message/make the call from.
Just be careful doing this...when I used 12.1.1 beta1 to turn off my physical SIM (US Verizon Wireless), and later turned it back on, it behaved like inserting the SIM for the first time: iMessage had to reactivate (I got popups on other devices on my iCloud account), and wifi calling could not be configured until the SIM could use the cellular connection...which if you’re traveling and trying to avoid roaming contact/charges, kind of defeats the purpose.

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
For those using esim I’d recommend install the public beta of 12.1.1 and then use the feedback app to hassle Apple to get this sorted.

Apparently in the beta you can turn off physical sim.

I am on 12.1.1 but don’t have esim so don’t see the option.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Just be careful doing this...when I used 12.1.1 beta1 to turn off my physical SIM (US Verizon Wireless), and later turned it back on, it behaved like inserting the SIM for the first time: iMessage had to reactivate (I got popups on other devices on my iCloud account), and wifi calling could not be configured until the SIM could use the cellular connection...which if you’re traveling and trying to avoid roaming contact/charges, kind of defeats the purpose.

Thanks for that. Thankfully, I've still got my 7 Plus as it's looking increasingly likely that I'll have to carry 2 phones when I'm away.
[doublepost=1541458647][/doublepost]
Apparently in the beta you can turn off physical sim.

Yes, but that seems to bring other problems.

[doublepost=1541459426][/doublepost]Another thing I've noticed is that the eSim seems very reluctant to switch to 3G when the 4G signal is dropping on & off.

Tonight I visited a leisure complex where I know the 4G signal is very weak. When I was previously using the physical EE sim card, it would switch to 3G almost as soon as I'd walked in to the building, whereas the eSim seemed to persist in trying to connect to 4G. It did eventually switch to 3G but, the signal was also weak so, maybe that played a part?

Last edited:

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
This is exactly what happened to me. Took me about 4 hours to fix things. Even had to reset network settings.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

It did that to me on EE as well, and my iMessage activation got stuck for about 8 hours.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Making a call using a different line isn’t much better.

If it’s a contact in your phone you can’t call using the other line for a one-off call. You have to select the “always use” option. Then after making the call you have to change it back again.

Not great if you are making a dozen different calls while away on a business trip.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Again, I'd be really interested to know how the 2 Physical Sim version is behaving.

I'll be in Asia next month & I'd seriously consider selling my Xs Max then diverting to Hong Kong for the day to buy the 2 Physical Sim version. With the cheaper price in Hong Kong I'd probably end up around £100 out of pocket on the phone plus travelling expenses.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Again, I'd be really interested to know how the 2 Physical Sim version is behaving.

I'll be in Asia next month & I'd seriously consider selling my Xs Max then diverting to Hong Kong for the day to buy the 2 Physical Sim version. With the cheaper price in Hong Kong I'd probably end up around £100 out of pocket on the phone plus travelling expenses.

I need to plan a little holiday and am like hmmm...Hong Kong in winter sounds like fun. lol

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK

I bet it’s the same. It’s the software that’s awful not the eSim.

Asia doesn’t have a different version of iOS.

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
I bet it’s the same. It’s the software that’s awful not the eSim.

Asia doesn’t have a different version of iOS.

You're probably right.

I was quite happy with my 6 Plus/7 Plus combination. The only reason I bought a new phone this year was for the dual sim capabilities & unfortunately, it's nowhere near ready for general release.

threeonthetree

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2018
Ok guys, I saw this thread being posted from another thread. I imported my Xr from Hong Kong from a website posted in another forum that has two physical sim cards. I am not sure if I am understanding correctly.

Right now, my setup is line 1) Sim that I use for iMessage, Facetime, Calling 2) Data only.. Sometimes I switch the settings to use data on line 1 as well if I am running out of data on line 2.

On the settings as well, I can only select one line to activate iMessage/Facetime, I cannot select both numbers.

Let me know what kind of tests you want me to do.

Also though my second line is only data line, I have another line that have full voice, text and data that I'm using on my Xs Max so let me know if you want me to try anything.

Last edited:

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Ok. So I requested an eSim pack via EE webchat yesterday. And this morning I’ve woken up with “No Service” so I’m without a phone until this pack arrives?

Do I have any options?

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Ok guys, I saw this thread being posted from another thread. I imported my Xr from Hong Kong from a website posted in another forum that has two physical sim cards. I am not sure if I am understanding correctly.

Right now, my setup is line 1) Sim that I use for iMessage, Facetime, Calling 2) Data only.. Sometimes I switch the settings to use data on line 1 as well if I am running out of data on line 2.

On the settings as well, I can only select one line to activate iMessage/Facetime, I cannot select both numbers.

Let me know what kind of tests you want me to do.

Also though my second line is only data line, I have another line that have full voice, text and data that I'm using on my Xs Max so let me know if you want me to try anything.

1- Go to an existing line 1 iMessage thread. Now send them an SMS from line 2 without deleting the entire iMessage thread and starting new. Can you? If so how?

2 - Go to a contact that is assigned to line 1. Now make a one-off call on line 2 without having to select “always use line 2”. Can you? If so how?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Ok. So I requested an eSim pack via EE webchat yesterday. And this morning I’ve woken up with “No Service” so I’m without a phone until this pack arrives?

Do I have any options?

I have the exact same issue right now, I'm on a web chat with them right now. I reminded them that they confirmed that my current SIM would remain active until I activated/installed the eSIM. The chat bot is saying that "Yes, however, system automatically processed the order for next day priority delivery." Which means nothing. So I'm expecting the eSIM today, and they've given me a £10 credit on my account. Muppets.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

Do I have any options?

This has happened to me last week with EE and it’s absolutely stupid AND RIDICULOUS that they just disconnect your existing service. I rely on my phone for business and can’t be without having an active connection.

I went down to a EE shop and they said the only way they can give me a new SIM card is if I upgrade my contract because I didn’t have any ID with me. Plus I was offered a better deal for the same price so I went with it and got myself a new SIM card for the phone to keep working.

I received the eSim that evening and scanned the code for it to NOT work. Called back EE again and was told that my account switched from eSim to normal sim again. I mean what the hell?!

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I have the exact same issue right now, I'm on a web chat with them right now. I reminded them that they confirmed that my current SIM would remain active until I activated/installed the eSIM. The chat bot is saying that "Yes, however, system automatically processed the order for next day priority delivery." Which means nothing. So I'm expecting the eSIM today, and they've given me a £10 credit on my account. Muppets.

I’ve activated e eSims now on two separate phones and on both occasions the Sim starts to work and then after an hour also stops working to 6 to 7 hours. Then works as normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.