Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
This has happened to me last week with EE and it’s absolutely stupid AND RIDICULOUS that they just disconnect your existing service. I rely on my phone for business and can’t be without having an active connection.

I went down to a EE shop and they said the only way they can give me a new SIM card is if I upgrade my contract because I didn’t have any ID with me. Plus I was offered a better deal for the same price so I went with it and got myself a new SIM card for the phone to keep working.

I received the eSim that evening and scanned the code for it to NOT work. Called back EE again and was told that my account switched from eSim to normal sim again. I mean what the hell?!

So they couldn't give you just a replacement SIM because you didn't have ID, but they could upgrade your contract and give you a new SIM without any ID????

Reactions: iphonehype

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Any. it’s makes not difference until you scan the QR code then it locks to that phone.

Thanks, just scanned one and added it. However can't do the SIM swap as I can't receive an SMS as they've already disabled my current SIM... FFS

EDIT: Apparently as my old SIM is disabled, I now need to visit a store. The store that couldn't help in the first place. This is comical.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Thanks, just scanned one and added it. However can't do the SIM swap as I can't receive an SMS as they've already disabled my current SIM... FFS
Ahhhh! That’s bad. Happened to me on my first eSim activation because I did things backwards...sim swap, then scan!!

I called up EE spoke to a great guy who did some fiddling and within 20 mins I was up and running.

Sadly, as you know you now need an active line in order to receive the sim-swap code SMS and you can’t get that is you don’t have an active line!!! Not really sure why they had to interfere. When you are given the sim pack you can do everything yourself without their intervention.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Nope. Just tried that and it doesn’t work!

I’m on imassage with a mate (EE).

Just turned off that line (esim) and sent a reply to my friend an it still sends and an iMessage (ie from the line I’ve just turned off). It didn’t send as an SMS from the other line.
I’m having the opposite issue. Turning off eSim causes iMessage to stop working after a while when I don’t want it to.

Could be that this is the correct behaviour, but it just takes a while to happen.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I’m having the opposite issue. Turning off eSim causes iMessage to stop working after a while when I don’t want it to.

Could be that this is the correct behaviour, but it just takes a while to happen.

I’ve had that happen to me too. By doing what you’ve done may de-activate imessage for 4-5 hours.

Great well thought out system eh!

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Ahhhh! That’s bad. Happened to me on my first eSim activation because I did things backwards...sim swap, then scan!!

I called up EE spoke to a great guy who did some fiddling and within 20 mins I was up and running.

Sadly, as you know you now need an active line in order to receive the sim-swap code SMS and you can’t get that is you don’t have an active line!!! Not really sure why they had to interfere. When you are given the sim pack you can do everything yourself without their intervention.

I called CS over Skype (no active phone line) and a lovely Irish lady told me that the eSIM was pre-activated. She explained that one of the eSIMs had been cancelled and replaced with the other eSIM, which was pre-activated. She told me the correct one to use. Installed that eSIM and seems to be OK

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I called and spoke to Level 2 tech support, they told me that the web chat guys had done it the wrong way, they had done the simswap first, thats why my phone disconnected overnight. Allegedly when I scan the QR code, my number should just transfer over. I need a QR code first though.

They've given me a credit on my bill.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I’ve had that happen to me too. By doing what you’ve done may de-activate imessage for 4-5 hours.

Great well thought out system eh!
Essentially renders this whole eSim scenario useless for me until I can send iMessage from that number whether it’s turned on or not.

I’m trying to avoid calls on my days off, not messages. A way to just disable voice on a line would be ideal.

EDIT: brainwave. Gonna try forwarding calls of my primary number to voicemail using the settings. Then leave the secondary number active. Will report back later.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
So, I’ve got my eSim, just about to scan the QR code, but I remember the guy on the phone telling me I needed to activate it as a secondary line. Is this correct?

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Ok, now I'm really confused.

I activated my eSim, and assigned it to my personal line, However, my personal line now shows 000000000 as the phone number, and the Business line shows my phone number.

When I dial from my phone, my actual number appears on the phone I am trying to call, but shows as coming from Personal (which should be 0000000)??

I also don't appear to be getting 4G?

Basically, I want my personal number (which I believe is now on eSim), to handle the majority of calls, and all data, with the physical sim (not-yet inserted) to be calls and SMS only.

How can I go about fixing this?

Stewart

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
It seems to have sorted itself out now, after I put in my business physical sim.

Is there anyway I can check 100% which number my data is being used from. I just want to make sure that the data is being used from my personal number and not my business number.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Ok. So I requested an eSim pack via EE webchat yesterday. And this morning I’ve woken up with “No Service” so I’m without a phone until this pack arrives?

Do I have any options?

I warned that this could happen earlier in the thread, the EE system often deactivates the old sim on dispatch of the new sim, it’s done that since the days of T-Mobile.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
It seems to have sorted itself out now, after I put in my business physical sim.

Is there anyway I can check 100% which number my data is being used from. I just want to make sure that the data is being used from my personal number and not my business number.
Settings/Mobile Data/Mobile Data

You’ll need to trust Apple on this!! Hope it works as intended. The entire dual sim is flakey as anything on iOS currently.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Settings/Mobile Data/Mobile Data

You’ll need to trust Apple on this!! Hope it works as intended. The entire dual sim is flakey as anything on iOS currently.
I thought as much.

Erm, another quick question. When my business number rings, my Apple watch is showing the calls, but when my personal one rings, it doesn't show them. Can I set it up to show both? Or at least change it?

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I thought as much.

Erm, another quick question. When my business number rings, my Apple watch is showing the calls, but when my personal one rings, it doesn't show them. Can I set it up to show both? Or at least change it?
Just tried mine and my watch shows for both. In the Watch app for phone I have “mirror phone”. If that is not your problem I can only suggest rebooting both devices.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
So I'm curious how many eSIMs you can have ... only because I have an eSIM and a physical SIM and it still gives me the option to add a data plan.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
So I'm curious how many eSIMs you can have ... only because I have an eSIM and a physical SIM and it still gives me the option to add a data plan.

There doesn’t seem to be a fixed limit. Just that only one can be active at a time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.