Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

threeonthetree

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2018
1- Go to an existing line 1 iMessage thread. Now send them an SMS from line 2 without deleting the entire iMessage thread and starting new. Can you? If so how?

2 - Go to a contact that is assigned to line 1. Now make a one-off call on line 2 without having to select “always use line 2”. Can you? If so how?

Can't for both questions.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Settings/Mobile Data/Mobile Data

You’ll need to trust Apple on this!! Hope it works as intended. The entire dual sim is flakey as anything on iOS currently.
I did a wee experiment. I went onto mobile data, checked my available data via the myEE app, downloaded a Netflix show, and the available data went down by the same amount downloaded - so definitely seems like its using the correct data.

Stewart

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Finally another eSim came through yesterday and after scanning and manually activating on the website it seems to be working..
6f44f447fb0327d03b4280727dc29041.png

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
I activated my esim on Saturday, all went very well and very quick. Then I set about porting my old number over to the esim. On Tuesday EE ported the number over. I had to sign out of iMessage and back in and then the esim showed me the new number. pretty painless.
Now I have a throw away number for websites/deliveries etc (physical sim) and my normal number for family/friends etc. All on the same phone which is perfect for me.

Reactions: akash.nu

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Can you change back to a physical sim? I'm having issues with my setup at the moment where, I am in an office with an EE booster, which requires an IPv4 IP address, which I forced using a mobileconfig profile, however, it doesn't seem to work with the eSim.

When I am connected to the 3G network that the booster produces, I cannot access the internet, and when a call comes through to my eSim line, the phone rings once and cuts off. The caller doesn't hear a ringtone.

Any ideas? I might just go back to a physical sim until all this is sorted out?

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Can you change back to a physical sim? I'm having issues with my setup at the moment where, I am in an office with an EE booster, which requires an IPv4 IP address, which I forced using a mobileconfig profile, however, it doesn't seem to work with the eSim.

When I am connected to the 3G network that the booster produces, I cannot access the internet, and when a call comes through to my eSim line, the phone rings once and cuts off. The caller doesn't hear a ringtone.

Any ideas? I might just go back to a physical sim until all this is sorted out?

Yes, just request a physical sim from 150 (be aware you might lose service when the new sim is dispatched) or go into an EE store for one (with ID), it’s a lot quicker to get than an eSim, I changed back to physical sim on Monday and it took about 5 minutes instore.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Yes, just request a physical sim from 150 (be aware you might lose service when the new sim is dispatched) or go into an EE store for one (with ID), it’s a lot quicker to get than an eSim, I changed back to physical sim on Monday and it took about 5 minutes instore.

I'm going to download apple configurator and see if there has been an update for eSim and see if I can apply IPv4 to the eSim?

Think I'll go down that route before going back to a physical sim.

Stewart

alanplum

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
GSM codes don’t seem to work on eSIM on EE.

With a physical SIM dialling *#62# shows the conditional forwarding status.

When I moved to eSIM, dialling *#62# does nothing.

Reactions: Manatlt

richardjhurst

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2015
So a question if i take my current pay monthly number and have that transferred to the Esim and buy a new sim only monthly card and has that as the "physical" sim in the slot what happens down the line if I decide I want to leave EE, will my now Esim number I've had for years be portable as in I can transfer that to new network or will it be a case that Esim numbers become un portable??

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
So a question if i take my current pay monthly number and have that transferred to the Esim and buy a new sim only monthly card and has that as the "physical" sim in the slot what happens down the line if I decide I want to leave EE, will my now Esim number I've had for years be portable as in I can transfer that to new network or will it be a case that Esim numbers become un portable??
I'm pretty sure you will still be able to transfer your number as you can from a Physical sim. You can move from an eSim back to a physical so don't think it will be an issue.

Reactions: akash.nu

dbrose

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011

The SIM whether embedded or nano is just a means for connecting to the cell network. This is separate to your account. You would just get a PAC code as normal and the process would be identical.

davethorp

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Preston, Lancashire, UK
Has anyone tried to enable the eSIM on the new iPad Pro. EE on Twitter tell me they aren’t supporting this but since the tech is the same as in the iPhone I’m calling BS on that one

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Does the phone have to be unlocked to use an Esim from a different network?

The Apple literature says that only eSims from the locked network will work in a locked phone.

What you need
To use two different carriers, your iPhone must be unlocked. Otherwise, both plans must be from the same carrier. If a CDMA carrier provides your first SIM, your second SIM won't support CDMA. Contact your carrier for more information.
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209044

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Has anyone tried to enable the eSIM on the new iPad Pro. EE on Twitter tell me they aren’t supporting this but since the tech is the same as in the iPhone I’m calling BS on that one

I have the same way I activated eSIM on my iPhone, but not on a UK carrier.
It works just like on the iPhone.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
A real pity that apple really have dropped the ball on the dual sim implementation in my humble opinion.
I quite agree, it’s the only reason I bought a new phone this year and am very disappointed. I feel Apple have been pressured into selling the dual Sim phone, but aren’t really onboard with it, surely otherwise their implementation would be far far better than it is. In fact they would have made the real dual Sim option available worldwide, not just in a couple of locations.

Reactions: threeonthetree

JDP1970

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
It's been rushed - the eSim variant wasn't even ready when the first phones were launched. It should have been thoroughly tested in beta prior to general release & it clearly hasn't.

Reactions: Pagemakers

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
How anybody could think that on a dual sim phone the only way you can send an SMS message from line 2 would be to delete your ENTIRE conversation thread to that user, losing possibly months on messages, photos and documents and start a new message thread must be absolutely bonkers or completely out of touch with how users need to use a dual sim phone.
[doublepost=1541961462][/doublepost]Imagine if the only way you can send an email to somebody would be to delete all previous emails to that person before composing message to them from a different account.

scotio200

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2015
I was so close getting one for my iPad, was in store getting my esim for my phone, but they needed me to have the device with me, which I didn’t. But they where willing to do it if I did.

jaack

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2016
How does this work when switching to a new device? Does your eSIM number automatically transfer over when restoring a backup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.