Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
All apple need to allow us to do is to be able to send an SMS from line 1 or line 2 and change it at will without having to delete the entire conversation first.

Reactions: d123

Hicksmat1976

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2016
Manchester, England
Yeah I saw it had fixed it for you in the EE forum @Pagemakers

Sadly I’ve tried that 3 or 4 times with nothing
[doublepost=1542118340][/doublepost]Well just chatted with tech support and they say they’ve added casting to my BT Sport now for free which has fixed the issue for me
[doublepost=1542119137][/doublepost]Urgh and all they’ve done is added the free trial of casting for 3 months

Suppose it gives them 3 months to fix it properly at least

as long as you can update your twitter/blog on a Saturday mate ;) my wife relies on you so she doesn't have to watch on a Sunday!

Reactions: davethorp

thecork

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
I'm not sure its been mentioned, but I have found an easy-ish way to quickly make a call from the other line to what is the default line for that person. Simply head to contact, copy the number, then go over to the keypad. From there you can chose at the top which line to use then paste the number into the keypad box. Its a small hassle, but then that call is in your history list as going from that line. Was a life saver for me on a trip this week when I didn't want to change the default line for a contact cos I knew id end up forgetting to change it back.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I'm not sure its been mentioned, but I have found an easy-ish way to quickly make a call from the other line to what is the default line for that person. Simply head to contact, copy the number, then go over to the keypad. From there you can chose at the top which line to use then paste the number into the keypad box. Its a small hassle, but then that call is in your history list as going from that line. Was a life saver for me on a trip this week when I didn't want to change the default line for a contact cos I knew id end up forgetting to change it back.
Thanks for that.

What a shame we have do do workarounds to perform such obvious and simple tasks.

davethorp

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Preston, Lancashire, UK
I need to get one for my iPad. But EE told me on twitter that they aren’t supporting it on iPad but someone has managed it just like someone did with PAYG so it’s possible if you can just get the little yellow card

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
I need to get one for my iPad. But EE told me on twitter that they aren’t supporting it on iPad but someone has managed it just like someone did with PAYG so it’s possible if you can just get the little yellow card

I ordered a replacement for my iPad earlier this evening, comes tomorrow.

Just hang up and call again until you get the answer you want to hear

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
When eSims are in full swing you can go to say Japan, go to a website. Pay your money and install a esim on your phone there and then. You can have any number of eSims on your phone and switch between then with no fear of losing a physical sim.

The problem at the moment is Apple’s very very poor implementation of dual sim whether that be physical sim or esim. The software is the same.
So far the networks are only making eSims available to contract customers, so unless you’re happy with monthly payments and have bank accounts & addresses in various countries, having an eSim for each country you visit isn’t going to work. It’s so easy to get a physical Sim from whichever network you like, but an eSim is nearly impossible, and even more so if you don’t happen to be in the country at the time. I know I’d rather take responsibility for keeping my physical Sims safe rather than go through all this hassle - unfortunately Apple decided to make this option only available in China and HK.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
So far the networks are only making eSims available to contract customers, so unless you’re happy with monthly payments and have bank accounts & addresses in various countries, having an eSim for each country you visit isn’t going to work. It’s so easy to get a physical Sim from whichever network you like, but an eSim is nearly impossible, and even more so if you don’t happen to be in the country at the time. I know I’d rather take responsibility for keeping my physical Sims safe rather than go through all this hassle - unfortunately Apple decided to make this option only available in China and HK.

Whilst it is true that EE will only supply esim to contract customers the rest of your post is incorrect.

As an example, esim+ now supplies PAYG esim for 60 countries.

https://esim.plus/

Reactions: Mr X

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Whilst it is true that EE will only supply esim to contract customers the rest of your post is incorrect.

As an example, esim+ now supplies PAYG esim for 60 countries.

https://esim.plus/
I mean proper local Sims not a company that covers all and charges ridiculous prices. $13 for 1GB data and no mention of included texts or calls is a joke, they wouldn’t even make my list for consideration.

I stand by my post, it’s accurate, currently it’s eaier to get a physical Sim with a far far wider choice of operators. My personal experience, only in two countries I admit, shows that both in the UK and Spain you have the choice of one network (ie no choice at all), and neither EE (UK) not Vodafone (Spain) will allow an eSim if you’re not on a contract - I have asked both companies several times regarding this.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
I mean proper local Sims not a company that covers all and charges ridiculous prices. $13 for 1GB data and no mention of included texts or calls is a joke, they wouldn’t even make my list for consideration.

I stand by my post, it’s accurate, currently it’s eaier to get a physical Sim with a far far wider choice of operators. My personal experience, only in two countries I admit, shows that both in the UK and Spain you have the choice of one network (ie no choice at all), and neither EE (UK) not Vodafone (Spain) will allow an eSim if you’re not on a contract - I have asked both companies several times regarding this.

Nothing like twisting the facts to somehow fit your conclusion, is there?

Let’s remember what you said:

unless you’re happy with monthly payments and have bank accounts & addresses in various countries, having an eSim for each country you visit isn’t going to work. It’s so easy to get a physical Sim from whichever network you like, but an eSim is nearly impossible, and even more so if you don’t happen to be in the country at the time.

Almost wrong in its entirety, and no amount of word twisting is going to change that.

$12.99 is £9.99, have you even checked what EE charge on PAYG for a 1GB data pack valid for 30 days?

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
Nothing like twisting the facts to somehow fit your conclusion, is there?

Let’s remember what you said:

Almost wrong in its entirety, and no amount of word twisting is going to change that.

$12.99 is £9.99, have you even checked what EE charge on PAYG for a 1GB data pack valid for 30 days?
Exactly what I’m saying, stuck with a particular carrier just as all those years ago when O2 had the monopoly for iPhone in the UK. I don’t want to go back ten years and give up choice - for example a £10 GiffGaff goody bag gives you 3GB data, unlimited texts & calls for 30 days. I’m sure there are many other carriers offering similar value but I haven’t time or inclination to check all their prices, or to continue this discussion.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
or to continue this discussion.

Good idea, it’s not as if you really have a cogent argument anyway...

You were complaining about using esim in various countries, not various networks using esim in a single country which is a totally different complaint...

unless you’re happy with monthly payments and have bank accounts & addresses in various countries, having an eSim for each country you visit isn’t going to work.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Question, I have my personal number as eSim, and my work number as Physical, when I miss a call to my physical sim (work), I'm getting a text saying I have a voicemail, but seem to have no way to listen to it?

Both Sims are EE, and I have visual voicemail enabled on my personal line.

Any ideas how I can get my work voicemails, or if I can divert them to VVM?

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Probably yet another poor way apple has implemented dual sim.

From the apple website...

* If data roaming is on for the number that uses cellular data, then Visual Voicemail and MMS will be disabled on your voice-only number.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Probably yet another poor way apple has implemented dual sim.

From the apple website...

* If data roaming is on for the number that uses cellular data, then Visual Voicemail and MMS will be disabled on your voice-only number.
I've just figured out that I can go into the dialler, change to my business line, hold 1 and get my voicemails the old fashioned way.

Reactions: akash.nu

ashtonoprjames

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2018
I’ve been running dual sim for a few days and for my requirements it’s been working well. Only thing I need to sort it having 2 WhatsApp accounts on the same phone. I saw a few pages back saying someone had done this please can you let me know how? Thanks

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’ve been running dual sim for a few days and for my requirements it’s been working well. Only thing I need to sort it having 2 WhatsApp accounts on the same phone. I saw a few pages back saying someone had done this please can you let me know how? Thanks

This is not something available on WhatsApp.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
This is not something available on WhatsApp.

It is available on WhatsApp, I think what you probably mean it’s not available on iOS?

353-F2-BA7-D5-E3-4-E77-9516-486-E41373-A88.jpg

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It is available on WhatsApp, I think what you probably mean it’s not available on iOS?

353-F2-BA7-D5-E3-4-E77-9516-486-E41373-A88.jpg

How did you install two instances of the same app?!

Ps. You’re showing Android screenshots. A feature is available on one platform doesn’t mean it will be available on another. Systems differ a lot from platform to platform.

salig

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
Hello. Today I managed to transfer my EE number (business contract) to eSIM. All is working fine so far.

I do have a question though, in case anyone can tell:

I am in the UK now. I popped in the tray a physical SIM from Vodafone Greece. It connects just fine in Vodafone UK network, I can make and receive phone calls, HOWEVER, when I switch the data to this card it only offers 3G, not 4G/LTE, and it's painfully slow. The same SIM gets 4G on an iPhone 8 Plus, so it's not anything with the carrier.

Any idea if this is a limitation in iOS? Any experience around it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.