Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtkboston

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
Will you let us know if EE or any other UK/EU carrier supports eSIM on pre-paid/PAYG service? (Especially if it's possible to sign up and activate while still in USA?) I'll need something for travels next summer, and if Verizon is still broken by then I'll be stuck with a physical nano-SIM for VZW and will need an eSIM for the local service.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Will you let us know if EE or any other UK/EU carrier supports eSIM on pre-paid/PAYG service? (Especially if it's possible to sign up and activate while still in USA?) I'll need something for travels next summer, and if Verizon is still broken by then I'll be stuck with a physical nano-SIM for VZW and will need an eSIM for the local service.

Afaik, it’s currently not available on prepaid, I’ve already seen that reported by EE staff. I’ll ask if it’s being planned.

docemmettlbrown

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2015
London, UK
https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/app/activate-sim/

I think now you can get an eSIM through that page? I’m still going to the EE store first, but if going to the store fails OR you guys tried this out and works, then I’ll be trying this method.

I tried the link, you still need some codes from an "EE eSIM pack" to activate it on that link.

Furthermore, they have published a help page here with more details:
https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/gett...one-features/how-do-i-use-dual-sim-for-iphone

It looks as if at the moment there's no way to activate it 100% remotely, you will still need a physical "eSIM pack" with a QR code on it, regardless of the channel you request it.
You can either get it at any (hopefully) EE store, or, if requested through telesales, they will ship the physical eSIM pack to your address in a couple of days.

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
I’ve just called through to 150 and been told it’s not live until tomorrow morning now?

Has anyone managed to move to an eSIM with EE yet?

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
Don't rely on 150, they still are not aligned with the official info, which has been circulated by EE Twitter. It's live since 8am today, just pop in a EE store.

I just cannot understand why we are needing to go into a physical store to pickup a virtual SIM card haha.

It's looks as if EE couldn't find their backside with both hands, what a farce.

It’s always been the same with carrier networks - their customer service teams get away with spouting drivel on a daily basis.

There’s some serious irony about a communications company not being able to communicate information to its teams.

Reactions: Davelfc

docemmettlbrown

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2015
London, UK
I just cannot understand why we are needing to go into a physical store to pickup a virtual SIM card haha.

Ahaha same here, they could have just emailed the QR code, but they make the rules... :(
I suppose it has something to do with identification (so you must be identified in a EE store through some form of ID or they can ship it to your registered billing address).

But still...

Reactions: LewisChapman

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
My multi-sim arrives tomorrow, I hope. So I'll be interested to read about the set up. I'm lucky I got an online 40% code discount hence I can't use the store or phone and had to purchase from the website. Hopefully a simple call to 150 once I have the sim installed will get it sorted.

Last edited:

KaPOWitsCHRIS

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
United Kingdom
Really hope Vodafone get on this sooner rather than later. Though it seems they are usually a year behind EE for everything. And still don’t have visual voicemail. I kinda regret moving to them but EE refused to give me any decent deal upon my renewal so I upped and left.

docemmettlbrown

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2015
London, UK
Went to the local EE store. First they said they knew about it and that they had the eSIM packs, but after a few minutes they had me call 150 as they didn't know I could swap my only EE line (they thought you must keep a physical EE sim in the physical slot and then move a second EE line to the eSIM).
Then the lady on the phone finally explained to the store lady, she understood, so she went to look for an eSIM pack, but apparently they did not have any in store.
So back on the phone where they ordered one for me which hopefully will arrive tomorrow at my home address (more likely, on Friday).

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Damn. I thought this would be the case, but it's good to see it confirmed so clearly. Having iMessage and FaceTime working simultaneously on both numbers is why I occasionally carry two phones. When travelling, I put in a local sim but want people to be able to iMessage and FaceTime me as usual. Family and friends mainly - hardly anyone actually phones me using cellular any more.

I know I can tell them to add my iCloud email address and use that instead, but texting and/or phoning email addresses confuses many people. And then they start using that address for sending me emails, which is not how I'm set up.

Ah well. At least it seems I can keep the original sim number active, which is an improvement.

Screenshot 2018-10-31 at 10.49.56.png

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
After a chat with 150, and then the technical team, they have issued out letters to my address with a QR code. Should be with me tomorrow.

The operator said it was the first couple of eSIM’s he’s issued.

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
For any UK members that qualify for the BlueLight Card, they're currently offering 40% off an EE sim only deal, for the member and four others. This might come in handy for anyone thinking of a second line as EE are the only provider that offer esim currently in the UK.

See Blue Light Card website for details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.