Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
More pics:
zJkPR44.png

KViZLiI.png

Reactions: Brookzy

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Left the store, sat down in the mall and called 150 so I can get my code posted.

The 150 technical team said you can either get the QR code from the store OR we can have it posted. But I told them, the store told me they cannot do it. He said that is wrong.

What option on 150 did you use?

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
So yep! I got my eSIM! And it's activated on my phone! :)

WVcD2jO.png

1H4BUt8.png

Can you upload a screenshot showing both sims live?
[doublepost=1540996342][/doublepost]
Just been into the shop and completed the process. Pretty easy, though it was the first time they’d done it. Scanned the code and then complete the Sim Swap. The swap took a matter of minutes.

Which EE store? Mine is still faffing about trying to figure out how to do the swap.

Got as far as an ID scan and sim pack lying on counter.

jambon

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
London

Which EE store? Mine is still faffing about trying to figure out how to do the swap.

Gracechurch St in London. They had no issue with handing them out, they just didn’t know exactly what to do with them for the first time but got there in the end.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK

My old physical SIM is dead, and I can't change the SIM in the tray until I get home.

Scan the code, add a (blank) data plan...then just go to ee.co.uk/simswap and do the process there. It's easy...

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
My old physical SIM is dead, and I can't change the SIM in the tray until I get home.

Scan the code, add a (blank) data plan...then just go to ee.co.uk/simswap and do the process there. It's easy...
Any word on how this works with cellular Apple Watch? Im looking to set up a 12 month sim on my account and use that as the eSim, but also use my watch with that number rather than my current physical sim number as that's gonna be a work line.

After speaking to 150 its pretty clear that no one person has all the info yet, so its gonna take pioneers like yourself to figure this all out!

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'm going into town tomorrow so I'll pop in past the a shop and see if I can get my pack.

Question: I'm going to be putting in my work sim card as a 2nd sim. If I'm on holiday, can I "turn off" this sim without physically removing it?

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Any word on how this works with cellular Apple Watch? Im looking to set up a 12 month sim on my account and use that as the eSim, but also use my watch with that number rather than my current physical sim number as that's gonna be a work line.

After speaking to 150 its pretty clear that no one person has all the info yet, so its gonna take pioneers like yourself to figure this all out!

Cellular Apple Watch works as normal with an eSIM.

I'm going into town tomorrow so I'll pop in past the a shop and see if I can get my pack.

Question: I'm going to be putting in my work sim card as a 2nd sim. If I'm on holiday, can I "turn off" this sim without physically removing it?

You can't turn off physical SIMs unfortunately. You can only turn off eSIMs.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

In the end they insisted on doing a full sim swap in store, so I left the store with my esim QR code and a dead sim in the phone. I didn’t have to use the simswap website, I scanned the QR code and it updated with my EE number and asked me to choose that number which I did.

They kept insisting that I could only use 2 EE sims which is why I asked if anyone had a screenshot.

If anyone else needs one to show staff:

8-D818927-217-E-45-E5-A2-A6-E89449-BB60-BF.jpg

And the sim pack

8852-ABA4-F029-41-F9-BFAA-8-DC9-E7165-C51.jpg

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Cellular Apple Watch works as normal with an eSIM.

Great stuff thanks.

One more question. Apple's site says that you can have 1 of 3 options during setup:

1.line 1 for voice/texts/data, and line 2 for just voice & texts
2. line 2 or voice/texts/data, and line 1 for just voice & texts
3. Line 1 or voice/texts/data, and line 2 for just data.

but further down the page also shows the ability to change which number data comes from. My question is, if I have line 1 using voice/texts/data initially, and line 2 for just calls and texts, but later go into settings and change line 2 to be my data number, will that then disable calls on my line 2 number?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Just called EE from the US enquiring when I can use an Esim for my uk number in my US iPhone.

EE guy didnt really fill me with confidence. He said it was a UK regulations hold up, not a EE hold up, and it would be a couple of months before EE would start handing out eSim details.

I’d like for him to be wrong.

EDIT. Ok seems that was nonsense. How can the dudes on the phone just say what first comes to mind. I’d rather they say they didnt know.

I'm in this same boat. I would have preferred to move my US # to the eSIM but if EE gets there first...

At first I was upset at the carriers for not being ready but honestly, WTF is Apple doing by not working more closely w/ the carriers BEFORE all of this? It's very clear none of them had access or were part of the testing. It's almost like they are just part of the Beta testing group like regular Developers, which is not at all good for anyone.

Reactions: Lyn2012

BadMelonFarmer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2010
North Somerset
Great stuff thanks.

One more question. Apple's site says that you can have 1 of 3 options during setup:

but further down the page also shows the ability to change which number data comes from. My question is, if I have line 1 using voice/texts/data initially, and line 2 for just calls and texts, but later go into settings and change line 2 to be my data number, will that then disable calls on my line 2 number?

I agree it is poorly worded.

Basically, yes you can do what you have asked.

From what I can see the things you can’t do is have iMessage or FaceTime on both lines, which is where the “text” question is leading, I guess.

So you can use either line for voice and SMS, but only one for iMessage.

Regarding Data, you select which line is your Data line, you can change between the two.

One thing to note is that if you have Data active on Line 1 and Line 2 is being used for voice, it will stop using Line 1 for Data, until you have finished the call.

There is an option you can turn on that will use Line 2 for Data in the above scenario.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
In the end they insisted on doing a full sim swap in store, so I left the store with my esim QR code and a dead sim in the phone. I didn’t have to use the simswap website, I scanned the QR code and it updated with my EE number and asked me to choose that number which I did.

They kept insisting that I could only use 2 EE sims which is why I asked if anyone had a screenshot.

If anyone else needs one to show staff:

I guess I won't be able to switch the EE number to eSIM until the next time I come to the UK. Bummer this isn't able to be done online, which I think is the whole point of eSIMS.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
I guess I won't be able to switch the EE number to eSIM until the next time I come to the UK. Bummer this isn't able to be done online, which I think is the whole point of eSIMS.
Currently all methods we have seen requires you to be in the UK unfortunately. This may change in the future. But by the time you arrive, EE would have gotten themselves fully sorted and you can easily pop in to any EE store and get the QR code.
Great stuff thanks.

No, unless your "line 2 number" is a data only SIM. You can't really disable calls from both SIMs unless it's an eSIM and you completely disable its line (or airplane mode).

scotio200

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2015
Just returned from the Taunton store empty handed, even though they had stock of the e-sim packs.

First of all they told me it was only for second lines and the can't transfer a normal sim to an e-sim. I tried to tell them they where wrong, even called 150 and spoke to tech support who confirmed I was correct. Once that happened I must have dented the guys ego as he then said they wouldn't swap it as they only have e-sims for new customers and not for transfers. He tried to argue that I couldnt use an iPhone without a physical sim.

I ended up walking away as his lack of knowledge was insulting.

Going to have to wait a few weeks now as im out of the country as of tomorrow morning (which I tried to explain to the guy in the store but again he had no interest.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.