Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tim182

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
Monthly only.

I know that’s what their guidance says but provided someone with PAYG gets their hands on a esim pack, what is stopping them from doing a sim swap?

Similarly, what’s stopping someone from taking out a contract and then cancelling and keeping the esim as PAYG?

Alternatively, what about the flex plan - I read conflicting things

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Currently all methods we have seen requires you to be in the UK unfortunately. This may change in the future. But by the time you arrive, EE would have gotten themselves fully sorted and you can easily pop in to any EE store and get the QR code.

They'll show up on eBay eventually and hoping sooner than later so that I don't need to bring both phones over when I come next month!
[doublepost=1541009745][/doublepost]
EE’s knowledge today has been astoundingly bad

Still better than the three US carriers combined. lol

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
They'll show up on eBay eventually and hoping sooner than later so that I don't need to bring both phones over when I come next month!

That’s doubtful, I’ve never seen blank EE sim cards for sale (which is what an unactivated eSim is).

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
That’s doubtful, I’ve never seen blank EE sim cards for sale (which is what an unactivated eSim is).

Everyone also told me that I couldn't activate a brand new EE Sim while still in the US but I have done it. lol. Worst case scenario, I'll have it sent to my family and have them take a photo of the eSIM card for me I guess.

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London
Just called EE from the US enquiring when I can use an Esim for my uk number in my US iPhone.

EE guy didnt really fill me with confidence. He said it was a UK regulations hold up, not a EE hold up, and it would be a couple of months before EE would start handing out eSim details.

I’d like for him to be wrong.

EDIT. Ok seems that was nonsense. How can the dudes on the phone just say what first comes to mind. I’d rather they say they didnt know.
That's a British thing. People over here have some kind of phyical aversion to saying "I don't know". It's like they're afraid the gates of hell will open and swallow them up or something.
Just say, you don't know, you'll find out and call the customer back. How hard is that?

Reactions: 0970373

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Everyone also told me that I couldn't activate a brand new EE Sim while still in the US but I have done it. lol. Worst case scenario, I'll have it sent to my family and have them take a photo of the eSIM card for me I guess.

You should be able to get an esim sent out to your home address already, once it arrives you could use the activation page on their website if some could scan and send you the QR code.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
bHYwO0H.png

EE (UK) + T-Mobile (US).
[doublepost=1541015162][/doublepost]
Just returned from the Taunton store empty handed, even though they had stock of the e-sim packs.

First of all they told me it was only for second lines and the can't transfer a normal sim to an e-sim. I tried to tell them they where wrong, even called 150 and spoke to tech support who confirmed I was correct. Once that happened I must have dented the guys ego as he then said they wouldn't swap it as they only have e-sims for new customers and not for transfers. He tried to argue that I couldnt use an iPhone without a physical sim.

I ended up walking away as his lack of knowledge was insulting.

Going to have to wait a few weeks now as im out of the country as of tomorrow morning (which I tried to explain to the guy in the store but again he had no interest.)
You should report him, don't let him get away with it. But maybe if you didn't argue with him, things may have been different. Was there somebody else in the store or was it just him?
[doublepost=1541015307][/doublepost]
My eSIM QR code was blank. So it's possible. However, getting codes from the store will be near impossible as most stores try and force you to do the swap in store. And there's no way they'll let you go with loads of empty QR codes in hand.

Last edited:

Chris2107

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
I’ve just called through to 150 and been told it’s not live until tomorrow morning now?

Has anyone managed to move to an eSIM with EE yet?

I called and they are sending the esim package through the post. This contains the QR code ill need.

no second line, just an esim for my current number.

I’m in the US and am adding my UK number to a US phone.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I called and they are sending the esim package through the post. This contains the QR code ill need.

no second line, just an esim for my current number.

I’m in the US and am adding my UK number to a US phone.

They are sending it to you here in the US? I was also going to call but figured I'd need to have it sent to my family in Kent as EE doesn't usually post SIMs to the USA.

Last edited:

n14agp

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015
Cool. Did you just walk into an EE store and get a new sim only straight onto an eSim?

No. I asked for an esim to transfer my existing number onto. She gave me the little yellow booklet with the code. I scanned it and setup the blank plan. Then done the sim swap. So no new line required on EE.
The. I used an existing g O2 payg sim in the tray.

Tim182

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
No. I asked for an esim to transfer my existing number onto. She gave me the little yellow booklet with the code. I scanned it and setup the blank plan. Then done the sim swap. So no new line required on EE.
The. I used an existing g O2 payg sim in the tray.

Is this also with a pay monthly plan?

Tim182

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
EE will only supply eSim for contracts, from all the people I spoke to today it isn’t even being considered for PAYG yet.

Money grab... I’m tempted to try and take out a contract with an esim, and then cancel within the cooling off period, see what happens!

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Money grab... I’m tempted to try and take out a contract with an esim, and then cancel within the cooling off period, see what happens!

EE don’t offer any of the iPhone features on PAYG, they’ll simply deactivate the eSim.

salig

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
Any idea if eSIM will have roaming?

I have a business EE contract and a personal number from another country (in the EU). If I'd be moving my EE SIM to eSIM, would that then work in my home country?

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

I have a business EE contract and a personal number from another country (in the EU). If I'd be moving my EE SIM to eSIM, would that then work in my home country?

Once your number is transferred to the eSim it is identical in use to a physical sim.

thomyorke68

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018

they're not offering eSIM for business customers at the moment

salig

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
Once your number is transferred to the eSim it is identical in use to a physical sim.
I don't mean to be unappreciative to your reply, but is this mentioned anywhere? Even better evidenced?

they're not offering eSIM for business customers at the moment
Yes I am aware of this, unfortunately. I might think of transferring the plan to a personal one though, unless they offer eSIM's to business plans shortly.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
I don't mean to be unappreciative to your reply, but is this mentioned anywhere? Even better evidenced?

Ring up EE and ask if you like, the eSim is identical in use/features once active on an iPhone.

Roaming will work exactly like it would with a physical sim. You’re confusing the fact that only certain networks support eSim activation. Once activated it will roam as normal on any network with a roaming agreement.

You can even search this forum and see people have/are roaming on esim lines.

Here’s one:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/esim-dual-sim-q-a.2150226/page-2#post-26719134

salig

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
Ring up EE and ask if you like, the eSim is identical in use/features once active on an iPhone.

Roaming will work exactly like it would with a physical sim. You’re confusing the fact that only certain networks support eSim activation. Once activated it will roam as normal on any network with a roaming agreement.
Aha! Makes sense now. Thank you so much for your reply.

Reactions: d123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.