Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pamar

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2018
Does anyone has any information on where Vodafone UK stands on the eSim support?

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
Does anyone has any information on where Vodafone UK stands on the eSim support?
There is no official information from Vodafone UK. But, this is expected as they will not be launching eSIM for iPhones at this present time (if they ever plan to do it).

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I've got my personal sim in my Xs, and am looking to change that to an eSim, and put my work (EE) sim into the 2nd slot. Is this possible? Do I need to phone 150 and request an eSim pack? Seems like madness having to order a physical pack for a virtual sim.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
I've got my personal sim in my Xs, and am looking to change that to an eSim, and put my work (EE) sim into the 2nd slot. Is this possible? Do I need to phone 150 and request an eSim pack? Seems like madness having to order a physical pack for a virtual sim.
Yes, this is possible as long your personal line is a pay monthly. :)

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

As long as your personal sim is EE contract (you don’t specify) then yes, and unfortunately EE have decided you need a physical letter posted just for the QR code.

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
As long as your personal sim is EE contract (you don’t specify) then yes, and unfortunately EE have decided you need a physical letter posted just for the QR code.

Regarding the physical letter, I imagine that to a security measure to help guard against people's lines being hijacked.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Regarding the physical letter, I imagine that to a security measure to help guard against people's lines being hijacked.

Not really, as you also need to receive a code to the old sim before the new sim will activate.

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015

I thought this but then when I asked the operator to send one of the letters to an alternative address they were happy to do so.

I think it’s more that EE didn’t get the infrastructure in place to offer the QR’s via email, text or on the website. Wouldn’t be surprised if they introduce the ability to do it via other means soon.

nellisere

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
I’ve phoned EE twice now. First operative said it’s only available to new or upgrading customers, second operative has told me it can only be done on sim only contracts, or I’d have to cance my contract and get a new phone. Then he also said cause my contract was bought with a Samsung phone it won’t let him assign an eSIM, even though I am now using an XS Max.

egraphixstudios

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
I’ve phoned EE twice now. First operative said it’s only available to new or upgrading customers, second operative has told me it can only be done on sim only contracts, or I’d have to cance my contract and get a new phone. Then he also said cause my contract was bought with a Samsung phone it won’t let him assign an eSIM, even though I am now using an XS Max.

They are fibbing you off.

EE forums say:
1. No requirement for new contracts.
2. QR code provided to scan on iphone and it will configure esim
3. Available today. If you call 150 they will send out via post.
4. Stores have esim packs- but people are reporting they are not handing them out- which is stupid.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
They are fibbing you off.

EE forums say:
1. No requirement for new contracts.
2. QR code provided to scan on iphone and it will configure esim
3. Available today. If you call 150 they will send out via post.
4. Stores have esim packs- but people are reporting they are not handing them out- which is stupid.
I can confirm number 4, just left the store and was told they are not allowed to give out QR codes, even though they have them.

n14agp

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2015
I can confirm number 4, just left the store and was told they are not allowed to give out QR codes, even though they have them.

I can confirm.
1 store wouldn’t hand it out. Said it was delayed till tomorrow possibly Friday.
The other store gave it out and I have a blank 2nd line added on my phone. Just to do the sim transfer bit when I get back to the office.

Will keep everyone posted :)

scotio200

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2015
Just been to store, they said they have them and could have done it whilst I waited but I was on my lunch so couldn't hang around. He did say that it would be a second line, which I found strange but ill go back after my job and see if I can just get one.

Kwame131

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
I have a question, I currently live in the us and will be moving to London in a few weeks. Will I be able to flirt a esim on EE with my first line still be with a us Carrier ?

egraphixstudios

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
Called EE and got mine coming through the post.

1. If your phone is unlocked the e-sim doesn't lock the phone.
2. E-sim can be moved back to a physical sim if required.
3. Wifi required when setting up a e-sim as it requires activation through data.
4. I have 12 month contract so they had no issues with setting my account up.
5. I was told e-sim can only be moved to a e-sim when requesting PAC code. I guess moving to a physical sim- then requesting pac- then moving back to esim on new provider would be a route around this for now.

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
So yep! I got my eSIM! And it's activated on my phone! :)

WVcD2jO.png

1H4BUt8.png

Manatlt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 26, 2013
London, UK
My story.
So I popped in the EE store. Basically:
They have the codes, but they were instructed NOT to hand them out. So I kind of gave up. Left the store, sat down in the mall and called 150 so I can get my code posted.

The 150 technical team said you can either get the QR code from the store OR we can have it posted. But I told them, the store told me they cannot do it. He said that is wrong.

Luckily for me, I was only 30 seconds away from the store. Walked back to the store, gave the phone to the team there and the 150 tech guy instructed them that the information they got was wrong. So they listened, and helped me out with the eSIM. :)

Reactions: adrianlondon

jambon

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
London
Just been into the shop and completed the process. Pretty easy, though it was the first time they’d done it. Scanned the code and then complete the Sim Swap. The swap took a matter of minutes.

Attachments

• 1AF2D7F1-43C9-4885-B13F-6ED5EE483F49.png
    1AF2D7F1-43C9-4885-B13F-6ED5EE483F49.png
    253.8 KB · Views: 257
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.