Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
providers will be unable to use the traffic data to develop their own competing mobile browsers in the future
Why the hell should a mobile company have access to this information when any other browser competitor doesn’t? This is such a poor argument I’m embarrassed for them that they included it.

rmariboe

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
Wow. These are to date the most pathetic and stupid allegations brought forth.

“For example, "Apple users have suffered a worse browsing experience when using Private Relay." This is alleged to have the potential to push users to "migrate" away from "the Safari browser to apps downloaded from the App Store where Apple can earn a commission."”

What are they even trying to coerce the legal system into here? ??‍♂️

Reactions: palev and Danfango

bookofxero

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2017
I have the best browsing experience ever with iCloud Private Relay.
It seems much faster and much more reliable. At least I seldom get Captchas whereas when using a VPN provider, it shows much more "Are you human" requests.
Unfortunately, I have had the opposite result where some companies consider Private Relay "suspicious activity", suspend your account with no notice, and then refuse to lift the suspension or delete the account with zero followup. Yes, this is largely on the company, but Private Relay was the precipitating factor.

Da_Hood

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2017
Australia
What are they even trying to coerce the legal system into here? ??‍♂️
This is about US intelligence agencies desperately trying to keep a back door option on the table.
They lean on their counterparts within the 5 eyes network to achieve this. MI5 manipulates this group into preventing another barrier to intelligence collection.
Its even more ludicrous than the stunt they pulled in Canada

mzeb

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
For all those in the US on T-Mobile check private relay on your cell network. They have been quietly disabling private relay for their customers OTA. I just noticed them and intend to give them a call to sort this out.

• Wow
Reactions: mjs916

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Something wrong with your router and/or ISP at home then.

NB, Private Relay will drop if I turn my router off and on again, and I'll get a notification in macOS. Disconnecting from the WiFi and reconnecting fixes it.

Make sure that your ISP doesn't have its own privacy features enabled that block access to 'dodgy' websites. If your ISP can analyse your network content, your connection is not private and, thus, Private Relay cannot work. This was a default setting with my BT account, which I had to turn off to get Private Relay working reliably.

I wonder if it's out firewall? Is PR detecting the firewall somehow? That's the only thing I can think of. I turned off all the 'helpful' features on the RG that I could. *shrug* It'll 'work' for about a week, and then I get the notice. If I restart the iPhone, it 'pretends' to work, and I eventually get 'the notice' again. Hmm...

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Unfortunately, I have had the opposite result where some companies consider Private Relay "suspicious activity", suspend your account with no notice, and then refuse to lift the suspension or delete the account with zero followup. Yes, this is largely on the company, but Private Relay was the precipitating factor.
I get the “our system thinks you’re a bot!” screen but I suspect it’s my VPN, not private relay. When I run into an issue I switch off VPN for a moment & the issue goes away.

Maybe it’s one or the other at different times, but I have my VPN on for everything so it’s almost impossible to fully narrow it down as I’d have to keep track of every visit and issue in different configs and I just don’t feel like doing that ☺️. That said, I’ve found that Xfinity (ISP) app and Ally (bank) are the main ones that don’t play nice with VPN. No issues with Private Relay though.

Ignacio Russo

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2021
I don't get it. They had the Blackberry's gateway and the Opera's gateway, not to mention the Phone.com ones. And now they get offended by Apple? Easy to get offended when you are obsolete and no longer able to provide value.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I have the best browsing experience ever with iCloud Private Relay.
It seems much faster and much more reliable. At least I seldom get Captchas whereas when using a VPN provider, it shows much more "Are you human" requests.
Overall, I like iCloud Private Relay. However, it does interfere with my professional work which involves the use of a web app. For the setting in Safari, "Hide IP Address", I can only select the "From Tracker Only" option and cannot use the "From Trackers and Websites". My guess is that my web app tracks the user in order to perform certain functions, which makes sense. The web app is a full blown database application that involves the editing of client applications (forms) and there's a lot of back and forth between client and self.

I wish that Safari could be more fine grained, such as hide IP address from both trackers and websites with the exception of certain websites. This would enable my work web app to work properly.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I get the “our system thinks you’re a bot!” screen but I suspect it’s my VPN, not private relay. When I run into an issue I switch off VPN for a moment & the issue goes away.

Maybe it’s one or the other at different times, but I have my VPN on for everything so it’s almost impossible to fully narrow it down as I’d have to keep track of every visit and issue in different configs and I just don’t feel like doing that ☺️. That said, I’ve found that Xfinity (ISP) app and Ally (bank) are the main ones that don’t play nice with VPN. No issues with Private Relay though.

I lose internet on my iPhone, and turn off Private Wifi Address, and it comes back. Then drops again, and I turn it on again, and it comes back. Not sure if this is a hardware problem, or a feature problem. Added with the issues with Private Relay, the pile of potential issues causing this gets rather deep. Am I the only one feeling like we need more information on how and why it works, and doesn't?

Danfango

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
But if it is you doing it, you have to buy a SIM. I think the built-in approach means you do not have that extra cost.

(Obviously, ISPs that offer this are likely inherently more expensive than the bargain-basement offerings.)
Yeah that’s true. I would note that it’s good to have completely disparate and isolated backup and that means dealing with two separate companies almost always.

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was trying to parse actual issues for _users_, evidence that their Internet access was somehow worse for not being so snoopable and came up blank. The usual monopolies trying to protect their own ****** behaviour.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Regulators are becoming more of a plague than the scum they try to protect us from...
What?! It’s not the regulators that are the problem here. It’s the corporations who want to mine your data and are trying to get the regulators to help them. The regulators work for you. Make sure they know that.

xnsys

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2018
Browsing experience has been absolutely fine for me, based here in the UK.

They are probably more concerned about the fact that sites, which were blocked under various court orders, enforcing several ISPs to put measures in place, are no longer blocked.

Reactions: LV426

monopoly

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2022
Im sick of these scum lobby groups thinking they have a god given right to mine our data. It’s basically theft. It’s literally no different to stalking somebody yet they are all protected. Why do they think that they have the right to do this to push adverts, that nobody wants, to just make more money that they don’t even need. Any app that has tracking, I don’t install. This website is one of the worst and I have spent many hours turning it all off and hiding myself from their tricky tracking methods. If Apple is forced to remove their anti tracking methods then I will seriously consider giving up on tech as there’s just no other option then to be able to go on the internet without being stalked. The world is truly getting worse day by day and pushed by the same people at the top. We need a revolution and fast.

Reactions: Roadster Lewis

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
When privacy features get corporations and governments into a tizzy you know they're effective. This whining by ISPs is the biggest endorsement iCloud Private Relay can ever got, much like Facebook complaining about anti-tracking a while back.

Reactions: Reggaenald
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.