Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Why? Are companies run by robots? Are they not made of people? You keep saying “should” as if it’s engraved in stone someplace. So I’ll play too. All rights should be extended to any group, collection, or organization of people as a natural law, and rights should only be removed if there is a very good overriding reason.
Because groups shouldn’t have rights. Individuals should have rights and be held responsible for their actions.

Organizations don’t need rights. People does.
Companies doesn’t need rights, but people do. If you want to represent a company and their actions then you should be held responsible for it. Simple as that.

• Disagree
Reactions: Reggaenald

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I had forgotten but I experienced that in iOS 14 with my home network connection when Private Wi-Fi Address was turned on. Haven’t had that problem in some time. Do you happen to have a mesh WiFi network also? Mine seemed to drop when I was done working for the day and went to the living room and my iPhone decided to hop to the next router.

As mentioned though I haven’t had that issue in quite some time. I’ll try to remember what I might have done to resolve it and will follow-up with you if I do.

It is a mesh network, yet the same SSID is shared across them. It's a Cisco system, and apparently the system was a bundle, and should have had their 'mesh node' boxes in it. Cisco claims that the more advanced boxes *WILL* mesh, but from what I'm seeing, it might be having issues. I get solid service across the house, which I never got before (Velop, just say no) and after my iPhone drops its connection, my iPad will be happy as a clam surfing right along. It makes me think that it might be an iPhone problem.

*shrug*

YMMV. :confused:

Reactions: dk001

4tune8chance

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Brisbane, Australia

A group of UK network operators have formally urged the UK's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) to regulate iCloud Private Relay, claiming that Apple's privacy service is anti-competitive, potentially bad for users, and a threat to national security.

iCloud-General-Feature.jpg

In its response to the CMA's Interim Report on mobile ecosystems, Mobile UK, a trade association of British mobile network operators, including EE, Virgin Media O2, Three and Vodafone, has raised concerns that iCloud Private Relay can have a negative impact on user experience, internet safety, and competition.

‌iCloud‌ Private Relay was new service introduced with iOS 15 that ensures all traffic leaving an ‌iPhone‌, ‌iPad‌, or Mac is encrypted using two separate internet relays, so that companies cannot use personal information like IP address, location, and browsing activity to create a detailed profile about users.

Following a formal complaint about Private Relay from Microsoft, Mobile UK claims that the privacy service can have undesired side-effects for users: "Private Relay affects Apple users in many ways, beyond simply what level of privacy a user wants." For example, "Apple users have suffered a worse browsing experience when using Private Relay." This is alleged to have the potential to push users to "migrate" away from "the Safari browser to apps downloaded from the App Store where Apple can earn a commission."

Private Relay prevents network providers from seeing the network traffic from Safari and unencrypted applications. In preventing network operators from seeing this traffic, Mobile UK says that Private Relay prevents service providers from understanding "demand patterns across mobile networks," inhibiting their ability to effectively diagnose customer issues.

Moreover, Private Relay is alleged to compromise "content filtering, malware, anti-scamming and phishing protection provided by network providers." Mobile UK also claims that Private Relay is a threat to national security, since it "impairs the insights available under the Government's investigatory powers, with implication for law enforcement" with regards to "terrorism, serious organized crime, child sexual abuse, and exploitation."

Private Relay purportedly allows Apple "to leverage its considerable market power into many areas of the market and thus being able to further entrench its position." Mobile UK says that due to Private Relay, "providers will be unable to use the traffic data to develop their own competing mobile browsers in the future," as well as other services that directly compete with Apple:

Mobile UK asserts that the ability of UK Internet Service Providers (ISPs) "to differentiate and compete in the market on fair terms" is actively undermined by Private Relay since Apple is effectively becoming an ISP itself:

Mobile UK is concerned that "Apple could thus leverage its position in the device and operating system to grow its iCloud+ user based to develop its position as an ISP."

Moreover, the trade association said that Private Relay directs users to more Apple services, "accessing the internet in a manner curated by Apple." Private Relay enables Apple "to favor its own proprietary applications and service, at the expense of other providers."

Mobile UK also said that Private Relay "affects competition in mobile browsers," highlighting that "rival browsers cannot differentiate themselves easily" as a result of Apple's WebKit browser engine restriction. The organization complains that users cannot "switch to an alternative browser" to skirt Private Relay since "the ability of rival browser to differentiate themselves from Safari will still be limited by the terms of Apple's browser engine."

In conclusion, the trade association says that Private Relay must be regulated beyond its superficial existence as a privacy service:

Mobile UK urged the CMA to implement "a remedy that limits the use of Private Relay," or "at the very least" prevent "Apple from making Private Relay a default-on service." The complaint noted that "Private relay is currently default-off but it is already being used by a significant portion of Apple customers in the UK, despite being in beta mode."

For more information, see Mobile UK's full submission to the CMA. iCloud Private Relay has come under similar skepticism in the European Union, where major mobile operators sought the banning of Private Relay for infringing upon EU "digital sovereignty."

Earlier this week, Apple aggressively defended its ecosystem in its detailed response to the CMA. It said that the regulator had set the benefits of Apple's ecosystem aside "without reasoned basis, either ignoring them entirely or dismissing them on the basis of nothing more than speculation." Apple alleged that the CMA's Interim Report was based on "unsubstantiated allegations and hypothetical concerns raised primarily by self-serving complaints" from a handful of multi-billion dollar companies, "all seeking to make deep changes to the iPhone for their own commercial gain, without independent verification."

Article Link: UK Network Operators Target iCloud Private Relay in Complaint to Regulator
So, if I understand the argument, what they are saying is, Apple has this cool thing, people want that cool thing, this cool thing hurts my less than cool thing. Oh and nobody who has actually got Apple’s cool thing are complaining.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA

A group of UK network operators have formally urged the UK's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) to regulate iCloud Private Relay, claiming that Apple's privacy service is anti-competitive, potentially bad for users, and a threat to national security.

iCloud-General-Feature.jpg

In its response to the CMA's Interim Report on mobile ecosystems, Mobile UK, a trade association of British mobile network operators, including EE, Virgin Media O2, Three and Vodafone, has raised concerns that iCloud Private Relay can have a negative impact on user experience, internet safety, and competition.

‌iCloud‌ Private Relay was new service introduced with iOS 15 that ensures all traffic leaving an ‌iPhone‌, ‌iPad‌, or Mac is encrypted using two separate internet relays, so that companies cannot use personal information like IP address, location, and browsing activity to create a detailed profile about users.

Following a formal complaint about Private Relay from Microsoft, Mobile UK claims that the privacy service can have undesired side-effects for users: "Private Relay affects Apple users in many ways, beyond simply what level of privacy a user wants." For example, "Apple users have suffered a worse browsing experience when using Private Relay." This is alleged to have the potential to push users to "migrate" away from "the Safari browser to apps downloaded from the App Store where Apple can earn a commission."

Private Relay prevents network providers from seeing the network traffic from Safari and unencrypted applications. In preventing network operators from seeing this traffic, Mobile UK says that Private Relay prevents service providers from understanding "demand patterns across mobile networks," inhibiting their ability to effectively diagnose customer issues.

Moreover, Private Relay is alleged to compromise "content filtering, malware, anti-scamming and phishing protection provided by network providers." Mobile UK also claims that Private Relay is a threat to national security, since it "impairs the insights available under the Government's investigatory powers, with implication for law enforcement" with regards to "terrorism, serious organized crime, child sexual abuse, and exploitation."

Private Relay purportedly allows Apple "to leverage its considerable market power into many areas of the market and thus being able to further entrench its position." Mobile UK says that due to Private Relay, "providers will be unable to use the traffic data to develop their own competing mobile browsers in the future," as well as other services that directly compete with Apple:

Mobile UK asserts that the ability of UK Internet Service Providers (ISPs) "to differentiate and compete in the market on fair terms" is actively undermined by Private Relay since Apple is effectively becoming an ISP itself:

Mobile UK is concerned that "Apple could thus leverage its position in the device and operating system to grow its iCloud+ user based to develop its position as an ISP."

Moreover, the trade association said that Private Relay directs users to more Apple services, "accessing the internet in a manner curated by Apple." Private Relay enables Apple "to favor its own proprietary applications and service, at the expense of other providers."

Mobile UK also said that Private Relay "affects competition in mobile browsers," highlighting that "rival browsers cannot differentiate themselves easily" as a result of Apple's WebKit browser engine restriction. The organization complains that users cannot "switch to an alternative browser" to skirt Private Relay since "the ability of rival browser to differentiate themselves from Safari will still be limited by the terms of Apple's browser engine."

In conclusion, the trade association says that Private Relay must be regulated beyond its superficial existence as a privacy service:

Mobile UK urged the CMA to implement "a remedy that limits the use of Private Relay," or "at the very least" prevent "Apple from making Private Relay a default-on service." The complaint noted that "Private relay is currently default-off but it is already being used by a significant portion of Apple customers in the UK, despite being in beta mode."

For more information, see Mobile UK's full submission to the CMA. iCloud Private Relay has come under similar skepticism in the European Union, where major mobile operators sought the banning of Private Relay for infringing upon EU "digital sovereignty."

Earlier this week, Apple aggressively defended its ecosystem in its detailed response to the CMA. It said that the regulator had set the benefits of Apple's ecosystem aside "without reasoned basis, either ignoring them entirely or dismissing them on the basis of nothing more than speculation." Apple alleged that the CMA's Interim Report was based on "unsubstantiated allegations and hypothetical concerns raised primarily by self-serving complaints" from a handful of multi-billion dollar companies, "all seeking to make deep changes to the iPhone for their own commercial gain, without independent verification."

Article Link: UK Network Operators Target iCloud Private Relay in Complaint to Regulator
I am all for hide my ip - but an aside...my county library account (via web browser Safari) breaks when I have it on (disclaimer I DO use a good VPN too but set loc nearby) - so shut it off in Safari prefs and bingo! I can get in.

Benjamin Nabulsi

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2020
they are shameless for sure. but Apple should give more attention to this feature and prompt users to activate it.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
I hadn't got round to switching Private Relay on.

Sure as hell I am going to do it now.

Update:

Now switched on. And I remembered the word Beta put me off initially.
Beta, like Tesla - is an unsung hero of tech. Nothing to fear but fear itself.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Beta, like Tesla - is an unsung hero of tech. Nothing to fear but fear itself.
I thought I'd leave it a little while before switching it on - let others suffer any initial issues. Then, as most of us do at times, simply forgot to go back to it.

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
It feels like a lot of their arguments boil down to their inability to snoop on iOS users, and thus they can’t use this surreptitiously collected data to advantage themselves.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Companies doesn’t need rights, but people do. If you want to represent a company and their actions then you should be held responsible for it. Simple as that.

Companies definitely need rights because their whole point is to function as legal entities in stead of their members, often with the explicit goal to shield its members from responsibility. The whole concept of limited liability is a prime example.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Companies definitely need rights because their whole point is to function as legal entities in stead of their members, often with the explicit goal to shield its members from responsibility. The whole concept of limited liability is a prime example.
Limited liability is a us exclusive thing. Companies don’t get special rights, limited liability is just a way to protect private assets from the company, you’re still legally responsible for the company’s actions

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
That right there is the problem. Limited liability. You can't put a corporation in prison for wage theft for example. But if an individual steals the same amount of money from the company they can easily be sentenced to years in prison. The worst you can do for a corporation is make them pay the money they owe with a fine on top... maybe and you even have to fight for that. This is probably why wage theft dwarfs all other types of theft combined. They typically won't even force the company to open their books to see if the theft is widespread or not.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
That’s ironic how Uk talks about freedoms, but ended upp taking it away after they left EU
Our (awful) government have been proposing all sorts of moronic pieces of legislation lately, such as rules that would impinge on rights related to freedom of speech. Which is ironic, considering they're allowed to lie in parliament, to their heart's content, but it is against the rule to refer to their lies in parliament as "lies", even if everyone knows they are lies. I've never been so depressed with politics than I have been in the last few years, and I studied Political History at university.... o_Oo_Oo_O (the failings of successive British governments throughout the entirety of the 20th century were quite extraordinary).

Reactions: polyphenol

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
If you can't run a business without secretly spying on people and selling their data, don't expect anyone to care if you go out of business. Good riddance to a bunch of worthless parasites.

Reactions: Treq

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
These ISPs are members of the ISPA which is a government controlled puppet behind the scenes and general source of asshattery. I suspect Mobile UK are a similar lobbying post. They are not worried about these issues, they are worried about them not being able to inspect traffic as will be required by some authoritarian government now and in the future.

People would be good to dump these terrible ISPs and move to Zen or Andrews and Arnold who take an approach to this issue of telling governments to go and piss up a rope.

This is an absolutely wonderful recommendation that you should be using iCloud Private Relay. Nothing else.

More typical shenanigans from this sack of dicks: ISPA nominated Mozilla as Internet Villain award because they implemented DNS over HTTP so the ISPs couldn't snoop your DNS traffic: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...illain-category-over-mozilla-doh-fallout.html
Agree but thanks so much for ‘ asshattery’. LOL!

Totorotarrot

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2015
Because of national security I should get a raise and not pay any tax because it’s important for national security.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
„iCloud‌‌ Private Relay was new service introduced with iOS 15 that ensures all traffic leaving an ‌iPhone‌, ‌iPad‌, or Mac is encrypted using two separate internet relays, so that companies cannot use personal information like IP address, location, and browsing activity to create a detailed profile about users.“
What are doing when writing up stuff like this.
Let alone errors in the sentence itself, Private Relay doesn’t apply to all traffic leaving the device. Only for Safari. At least that’s what Apple has stated during the keynote and on their website.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Limited liability is a us exclusive thing.

Defintely not: the concept of limited liability actually originated in the UK and limited liability companies exist in some form or another in basically any relatively modern jurisdiction.

You are confusing "limited liability" as a concept with "Limited Liability Company" (LLC) as one of the US specific forms, but other countries definitely have the same concept implemented in similar forms.

As example in the German-speaking world they are called "Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung" (GmbH), which literally translates to "company with limited liability".

Companies don’t get special rights, limited liability is just a way to protect private assets from the company, you’re still legally responsible for the company’s actions

Limited liability is only an example which highlight the general concept. Usually you are only personally liable of the company's actions if the actions in questions originate from some form of violation of laws or regulations which can be attributed to you, otherwise most forms of company used in business can definitely shield you.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
That right there is the problem. Limited liability. You can't put a corporation in prison for wage theft for example. But if an individual steals the same amount of money from the company they can easily be sentenced to years in prison.

In the example of wage theft the company construct would not protect whoever personally perpetrated the theft. Such protections are valid only as long as the individuals involved didn't break the law.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.