Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
Wrong. Jobs went overseas because of the way the Bretton Woods system is currently setup. You don't get the benefits without having to pay "a certain price". The fact that this system is no longer working or desirable is another conversational topic.

I knew you are just jealous.
Not particularly jealous. Just don’t like drones or slaggards.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
And, if our employer forces me to do your work while you "bond" with your new li'l darling, you can be sure I'll be very reluctant to cut you any slack anywhere else.
That kind of attitude will bite you back some day when you need a favor from a coworker. Everyone eventually has something.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
That kind of attitude will bite you back some day when you need a favor from a coworker. Everyone eventually has something.
Oh, I think there are many out there who actually do the work and might take exception to those who got six extra weeks per year off while others actually do the work. Just give my my six weeks off and we will be fine. Or just pay me extra for my extra work while you “bond”.

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
I used to work for the Apple Store (albeit twenty years ago) and I'm all for common sense unions... but this list is pretty amazing. I guess it's a moonshot type of demand list. Get it all out there and see what sticks.

The tip thing though, I KINDA get. Yes, tipping culture is RIDICULOUS right now. But, having worked the store, there were times I've had to decline tips (or at least pretend to) where I thought an exception should be made. The management knew it too and kind of told us not to take it in front of people. I'll give a few examples. During Christmas time, when carting a big-ass load of purchases ACROSS THE DAMN MALL (and sea of people) TO THE CUSTOMER'S CAR and load it. Some people got $20-$50 tips for that and well deserved. Did it 99% of the time with no tip and we were fine with that as well. Also, working with a customer for two hours to save their kids' photos from a dying computer and going above and beyond what we were "allowed" to do. Yea, I took the twenty after they refused to take it back and literally shoved it and left it.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Oh, I think there are many out there who actually do the work and might take exception to those who got six extra weeks per year off while others actually do the work. Just give my my six weeks off and we will be fine. Or just pay me extra for my extra work while you “bond”.
Again there is no point to paint or decorate your personal cubicle on a ship that is sinking.

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
3 things Americans need to get rid of immediately:

1) tipping system
2) imperial system
3) daylight saving time shift twice a year
1 and 3, yes. 2, one can convert in one's head easily enough, but I know what Fahrenheit temps _feel_ like, while I have only a general idea with Celsius without converting (and since degrees C are bigger, a small difference can be more noticeable). Going there, might as well use degrees Kelvin to be a full on dork.

Reactions: Algr

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I will not go to an Apple Store that unionizes. Plain and simple. I have purchased over $100k in Apple products personally and those stores would simply no longer exist for me.
literally no one will care, even the smallest Apple store gets far more revenue every day than you've spent in your entire lifetime buying Apple products.

Out of curiosity do you avoid all union shops or do you specifically have a bug against Apple. Do you refuse help from unionized EMS and Fire? Do you refuse to enter Costcos, Krogers, Safeways, CVSes, Macys, etc? Do you refuse to enter union constructed buildings? How about unionized restaurants? If you're in a city with unionized doormen and other labor groups (like NYC) do you refuse to enter those buildings? Do you not use meds that come from union pharma companies? etc

And I do wonder what you'll do as unionization spreads. With wages stagnant and inflation sky high unionization is definitely rising as a response.

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
FWIW, what is the "job" of a worker at the "genus bar"?
Is not the "job" to solve a problem for which the appointment was booked and for which they are being paid a HIGH union wage? No need for tips in a union shop.Same with other businesses. If your union, no tip.
That said, when you PAY for AppleCare, call up a customer service rep and they spend lots of time helping you solve your problem, do you TIP them in addition to the AppleCare bill? If you've run out of warranty, Apple CHARGES you for their advice. Do you TIP them too?

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
This illustrates my contempt for service unions, they are like a protection racket. However I fully support Trade unions. If you want the job done right that is where you go. Plus their apprenticeship programs are a way to get the training and certifications for high paying jobs without paying through the nose at a technical college. People will not go to Apple store, and instead like I do just open the Apple Store app on My iPhone or Mac Studio. I have owned Apple computing devices for so long I do not have to physically look at what I am going to purchase. Besides the closest Apple Store to Cheyenne is over 100 miles away.

Last edited:

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
literally no one will care, even the smallest Apple store gets far more revenue every day than you've spent in your entire lifetime buying Apple products.

Out of curiosity do you avoid all union shops or do you specifically have a bug against Apple. Do you refuse help from unionized EMS and Fire? Do you refuse to enter Costcos, Krogers, Safeways, CVSes, Macys, etc? Do you refuse to enter union constructed buildings? How about unionized restaurants? If you're in a city with unionized doormen and other labor groups (like NYC) do you refuse to enter those buildings? Do you not use meds that come from union pharma companies? etc

And I do wonder what you'll do as unionization spreads. With wages stagnant and inflation sky high unionization is definitely rising as a response.
Well, you might ask those 22,000 unionized workers of Yellow Freight who were just fired how they like their union.

Reactions: transmaster

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Well, you might ask those 22,000 unionized workers of Yellow Freight who were just fired how they like their union.
Exactly. To be sure there were management errors the financial people who know about the trucking business say the management of Yellow would not merge with other trucking companies to increase their haulage. Plus the Teamsters Union acted like the thugs they are. Don't feel bad for the drivers at Yellow there's such a shortage of CDL drivers they will be quickly hired by other freight companies. The question to ask is how many members is the Teamsters Union going to lose.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Yellow was tanking, the amount they were in debt far exceeded any union demands by literally an order of magnitude. What was blocked was a restructuring that would have gotten the principals out of any obligations to the union staff. This is better than those employees getting shafted by losing their jobs without any of their contractual guarantees that yellow owes them

And this is also the same week that a much much bigger part of the freight unions won a massive set of concessions from UPS. Overall it’s actually been a good week for the teamsters

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014
Yellow was tanking, the amount they were in debt far exceeded any union demands by literally an order of magnitude. What was blocked was a restructuring that would have gotten the principals out of any obligations to the union staff. This is better than those employees getting shafted by losing their jobs without any of their contractual guarantees that yellow owes them

And this is also the same week that a much much bigger part of the freight unions won a massive set of concessions from UPS. Overall it’s actually been a good week for the teamsters
Yeah!Those 22,000 Teamsters are sitting pretty. Unemployed and all!

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
They were going to lose those jobs anyway, I know a couple drivers there, they were happier to let it happen on their own terms rather than what yellow was going to do with a restructuring

And in terms of numbers the teamsters won a victory for *340,000* UPS employees the same week

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

With the way Yellow was going, they were going to be unemployed anyway.

Why do people always blame labor for management sending the company under?

cmcbhi

Contributor
Nov 3, 2014

Because they do send them under.
Recall Detroit and the automakers.

thays133

Suspended
Mar 25, 2021

Because the investor and upper management class fooled so many people. Blame labor cost but don't look at excustive pay that might be 10-15% gross revenue.

Never mind the fact that upper management/leadership pay has been massice out of line for a while. That would require the people at the top and investor admitted they are the reason for it going under.

There are multiple example of this happening.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Because they do send them under.
Recall Detroit and the automakers.

The Big 3 sent themselves under, not the UAW.

They made cheap products that were not reliable. Customers left them and they bled to death. Mismanagement sunk the Big 3. The lost cash flow due to their crap products made the benefits to the UAW unsustainable and they took concessions to help.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
The Big 3 sent themselves under, not the UAW.

They made cheap products that were not reliable. Customers left them and they bled to death. Mismanagement sunk the Big 3. The lost cash flow due to their crap products made the benefits to the UAW unsustainable and they took concessions to help.
Yup, which why companies like Honda and Toyota actually make more cars in the US today (with unionized workforces) that the nominally American companies. The problem was never the unions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.