Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipqtr

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2019
I reported the issue and included a link to this thread. I hope they are investigating this. I am quite sure this is software-related...
Thank you,

Doing this over and over again will bring to their attention that this problem is prominent and affects many users. Every time I download a beta release and report a feedback (through the feedback assistant for beta versions) I include this thread url and the other thread on ifixit: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...touchscreen+is+unresponsive+from+time+to+time

I am sure one day they will solve this issue. All my hopes are in iOS 13 to solve this issue.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
This video shows exactly what happens to me
This is definitely software related. Sometimes when I open a youtube link from a website it fails to maximise the video within the youtube app. The tap is registering since I can see the animation when clicking it but it fails to respond.
I then have to close the youtube app and open it again for it to work. Same happens when I’m browsing amazon, it won’t allow me to open links when I click on them. I have to long press it and choose to open in a new tab lol.
BTW I sold my 2018 ipad pro 12.9(with this issue) to get the 11 and same problem all over again.
imho this has nothing to do with touch screen or heat, it’s just that at some point the software becomes unresponsive and freezes in short intervals. This will also explain the stuttering experienced when typing.
The price to pay for constantly tweaking and messing around with things that work to begin with.
If you’re sitting at your desktop pc typing away and all of sudden the pc freezes , you’re not going to blame the keyboard and mouse being unresponsive.
The touch becoming unresponsive it’s not necessarily and indication of hardware problems.

One way to test this is if anyone that has an apple keyboard cover to see if there is a difference when typing with the physical keyboard vs the touch one.

I have the problem with the YouTube app too it will not maximize the video! And I’m not having touch issues. I’ve been dealing with that issue forever I hate it lol. It’s the YouTube app that is the problem.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
I have the problem with the YouTube app too it will not maximize the video! And I’m not having touch issues. I’ve been dealing with that issue forever I hate it lol. It’s the YouTube app that is the problem.

YouTube app not maximizing is a separate software issue. And as you correctly mentioned it's not the problem with the unresponsive touch we're having here.

The problem with unresponsive touch is a general hardware problem with the iPad touch screen when parts of the screen stop working in any software including home screen.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
YouTube app not maximizing is a separate software issue. And as you correctly mentioned it's not the problem with the unresponsive touch we're having here.

The problem with unresponsive touch is a general hardware problem with the iPad touch screen when parts of the screen stop working in any software including home screen.

Yes but, remember there were two totally different touch problems.

There is the dreadful touch bug where the screen has a real hardware issue. Or screen protector related touch issues. The screen protector touch issues only occur if your not holding the iPad. Which is unfortunately what I’m dealing with. I’m probably just going to remove my screen protector.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Im abit lost now - what has the screen protector problem to do with an unresponsive screen? If something is a screen protector related, then take it away and dont call it a bug or an issue. This thread is for an unresponsive screen, not ”an unresponsive screen when using a screen protector”.

Last edited:
Reactions: ccrgt and DragonX

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Im abit lost now - what has the screen protector problem to do with an unresponsive screen? If something is a screen protector related, then take it away and dont call it a bug or an issue. This thread is for an unresponsive screen, not ”an unresponsive screen when using a screen protector”.

Because none of the new iPads were compatible with any glass screen protectors at all when they launched. And apple even released a updated iOS 12.2 that fixed the bug that caused screen touch issues while using a screen protector.

Probably 50-60% of new iPad users are using a screen protector. Everyone knows the problems the screen protector caused. And everyone was in disbelief when 12.2 actually fixed the problems.

Well, surprise 12.3 has brought these issues back.

It was a bug, and apple was aware of it. Plugging your iPad in would resolve the issue, or if you just hold it after removing your case.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Because none of the new iPads were compatible with any glass screen protectors at all when they launched. And apple even released a updated iOS 12.2 that fixed the bug that caused screen touch issues while using a screen protector.

this thread is for 12.9” 2gen devices.

ios 12.2 fixed an issue with 11” ipad pro supposedly - according to some internet news..

Probably 50-60% of new iPad users are using a screen protector. Everyone knows the problems the screen protector caused. And everyone was in disbelief when 12.2 actually fixed the problems.

dont know anyone using a protector on their ipads, 50% sounds quite high... but everyone who had it has the ipp 11” which has nothing to do with 12.9” 2gen devices and unresponsive screens.

why people dont even know anymore what is the issue and if it is fixed or not, and then some says it is fixed magically while the other says it is not, it is due to the mixing topics and differend devices all together...

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
@tps3443

Yes, you have a valid issue and are rightfully upset. But this thread really is about a separate issue and you should create a new thread regarding the screen protector one. Otherwise it muddies the water about what we're talking about here with respect to 2nd gen. 12.9" iPads not working properly without screen protectors.

Reactions: kazmac

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
this thread is for 12.9” 2gen devices.

ios 12.2 fixed an issue with 11” ipad pro supposedly - according to some internet news..

dont know anyone using a protector on their ipads, 50% sounds quite high... but everyone who had it has the ipp 11” which has nothing to do with 12.9” 2gen devices and unresponsive screens.

why people dont even know anymore what is the issue and if it is fixed or not, and then some says it is fixed magically while the other says it is not, it is due to the mixing topics and differend devices all together...

Sorry wrong thread lol. I was not even paying attention.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
I don’t have a Pro but I turned in my iPad Air 1 today that I updated to 12.3 last week to find it completely unresponsive to touch. The physical home, volume and power buttons work but the screen does not respond to input at all.

Hard reset did nothing. I put it into DFU mode to “update” the firmware and once that was done it’s still unresponsive. I haven’t done a full restore since I don’t know if that will solve the problem.

This iPad is pristine. Never dropped and honestly never used that much. I’ve never experienced this problem with any iOS device and I had the iPhone 6 which was prone to have this problem.

Really messed up that a firmware would damage a fully working iPad.

Saurus504

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
I don’t have a Pro but I turned in my iPad Air 1 today that I updated to 12.3 last week to find it completely unresponsive to touch. The physical home, volume and power buttons work but the screen does not respond to input at all.

Hard reset did nothing. I put it into DFU mode to “update” the firmware and once that was done it’s still unresponsive. I haven’t done a full restore since I don’t know if that will solve the problem.

This iPad is pristine. Never dropped and honestly never used that much. I’ve never experienced this problem with any iOS device and I had the iPhone 6 which was prone to have this problem.

Just wanted to add that I started seeing some responsiveness issues on my screen, however, I keep mine plugged in almost all the time. I started unplugging it every other day and letting the battery run most of the way down. The issues have pretty much gone away since doing this.

Reactions: lec0rsaire

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
Just wanted to add that I started seeing some responsiveness issues on my screen, however, I keep mine plugged in almost all the time. I started unplugging it every other day and letting the battery run most of the way down. The issues have pretty much gone away since doing this.

This is my plan. Unfortunately I’m going to have to wait a while. Siri doesn’t have the sort of authority Google Assistant has. I tried to tell her to set auto lock to never but of course she can’t do that. I tried to get her to play a long video on YouTube and she can’t do that. Unfortunately I don’t have any videos on my iPad.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013

Sounds really bad! But maybe your problem is not so severe. If the next update or downgrade fixes the problem for you then you’re lucky and it’s not a hardware touch screen problem most of us have here. If it won’t then welcome to the club :(

Reactions: lec0rsaire

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014

The issue has nothing to do with screen protectors.

Reactions: g75d3

obh555

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2019
My replacement unit didn’t last half a year, it has only been 1 month and the touch screen issue start to resurface with my new replacement unit.... thank you so much, apple......

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
My replacement unit didn’t last half a year, it has only been 1 month and the touch screen issue start to resurface with my new replacement unit.... thank you so much, apple......
Same here. My replacement 12.9" Pro worked fine for about 3 months and has gotten progressively worse.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Has anyone discussed a class action over this issue? If Apple won't recall them and solve the issue, we might need to make them.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Besides the sometimes non responsive scrolling...anyone have this issue when you go to split screen it gets stuck with this look to it?
CE8A0AB0-9675-4C40-B836-B4E9B61C73FF.png

nnvt

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Anyone seeing major improvements after updating to 12.4 beta 2? Regularly had issues with touch but it’s been fine for like 2 weeks now.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Has anyone discussed a class action over this issue? If Apple won't recall them and solve the issue, we might need to make them.

Has been discussed a couple of times in different threads but never went anywhere. Seems we need a lawyer who experiences the same problem haha. Mac butterfly keyboard class action started when a lawyer faced the same problem as everybody else.

Reactions: kazmac and g75d3

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Has been discussed a couple of times in different threads but never went anywhere. Seems we need a lawyer who experiences the same problem haha. Mac butterfly keyboard class action started when a lawyer faced the same problem as everybody else.

Indeed.

I think folks should submit their videos of these issues to Apple, and to Joanna Stern at the Wall Street Journal. I wouldn’t be surprised if her excellent article & video on the Mac laptop keyboards from March resulted in the Band Aid we saw last month with the release of the 2019 MBPs.

I am definitely writing to Tim Cook before the month is out explaining I would love to use iPadOS, but I need reliable hardware before I consider it. I do not want to jump to using a Wacom tablet and learning more complicated software just to draw, but I’ve been thinking about that a lot lately.:(

Reactions: DragonX

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
Almost jumped on the BH deal for this today, then i remembered this issue. Glad my wyear old gen 1 12.9 still runs great.

Reactions: kazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.