Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipqtr

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2019
If you mean 11”, yes there are touch disease complaints (at least one thread in this sub forum). Ditto for the 2nd gen 10.5 iPP.

I feel you, I took a $1k wash on my 2017 12.9. I hope Apple fixes the heat issues with the fourth gen and every other iPad going forward.

Thank you for your reply. I have just got the mini 5 and I am enjoying the issues-free display. Hope it won’t get infected like my iPad Pro. It was a real tragedy.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Well about 3 months ago I had my 2017 12.9 (512GB cellular) Pro replaced for touch issues. Replacement came with ios10 so I was enjoying having that again. Touch issues started happening again, so I upgraded to ios12 again. Seemed fine for a couple of days, but then the issues started happening again.

Just took it to the Applestore again and they will replace it again. 512GB cellular model must not be common as they have to order the replacement in again.

Been fairly frustrated by this iPP. Used the 1st gen 12.9 for like two years without any problems before switching to this one and my 9.7 iPP is also working fine without any issues.

Still have 2 months or so left on AppleCare, but think I will sell this off in case issues pop up again after my warranty ends.
Looks like I'll stick with my 9.7 iPP (128GB Cellular model) for now and maybe look for a new one again if they release new models later this year.

Hopefully you intend to disclose the history of the device(s)? I wouldn't sell to someone a device I know is likely to fail or have issues and not inform them of it prior.

Reactions: Nugget

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Hopefully you intend to disclose the history of the device(s)? I wouldn't sell to someone a device I know is likely to fail or have issues and not inform them of it prior.
The device is being replaced by Apple. It will be a brand new device direct from Apple without any issues, unless EVERY 2017 12.9 iPP has issues.

I'll also be selling it to a store chain that buys/sells used hardware in addition to new hardware. I will of course tell them that the device has been replaced by Apple as the serial number/IMEI will be different on the device compared to what is on the box.

ipqtr

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2019
My mini 5 did, due to heat.

Hope it holds up for you. It was a great little iPad. Enjoy.

@kazmac— I am terribly scared now. We do not really deserve this kind of experience.

I have just opened a thread about iPad mini 5 feedback and testimony. I will be recording my experience over there and keep it as a reference for those who are planning one.

You are welcome to share your experience and have the aforementioned thread as a reference for those who are planning to get one.

I am still scared. I will keep mine at home, so it does not caught this touch unresponsiveness virus.

Reactions: sracer

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
@kazmac— I am terribly scared now. We do not really deserve this kind of experience.

I have just opened a thread about iPad mini 5 feedback and testimony. I will be recording my experience over there and keep it as a reference for those who are planning one.

You are welcome to share your experience and have the aforementioned thread as a reference for those who are planning to get one.

I am still scared. I will keep mine at home, so it does not caught this touch unresponsiveness virus.
I returned the Mini 5 as it started a day after it got really hot downloading movies from the iTunes.

Unfortunately, I see that your Mini 5 has touch irresponsiveness too. :( If you’re in the return window, maybe think about returning yours?

No one deserves the gimped build quality on Apple hardware. :( This needs to be fixed as does all the issues with Macs.

ipqtr

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2019
I returned the Mini 5 as it started a day after it got really hot downloading movies from the iTunes.

Unfortunately, I see that your Mini 5 has touch irresponsiveness too. :( If you’re in the return window, maybe think about returning yours?

No one deserves the gimped build quality on Apple hardware. :( This needs to be fixed as does all the issues with Macs.

Hello @kazmac,

I did not report any issues with my mini 5 until the moment. I am just writing my experience with it. Until this moment I have 0 touch issues with it.

I am just asking those who have mini 5 to write their experience so we can have a reference for those who are planning to but the device.

Can you write more about your experience inside https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-mini-5-feedback-and-testimony-share-yours.2187782/ so others can benefit from it?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

In keeping with my "do not buy any Apple product within the first 3-4 months of its release" golden rule, I haven't bought the Mini 5 yet, even though it has been the device I was most eagerly anticipating. I continue to plug away using my Mini 4, but I'm saddened (for their sake) to hear that so many are having issues with the Mini 5. :(

ipqtr

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2019
In keeping with my "do not buy any Apple product within the first 3-4 months of its release" golden rule, I haven't bought the Mini 5 yet, even though it has been the device I was most eagerly anticipating. I continue to plug away using my Mini 4, but I'm saddened (for their sake) to hear that so many are having issues with the Mini 5. :(

Hello @sracer
Would you kindly add a reference to those who have issues with mini 5? I just got mini 5 recently with no issues but I would like to have an idea so I can return asap if there are any issues. Please post any links that discuss issues with mini 5.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012

I know. I really want a Mini 5 to replace my Mini 4 but can't bring myself to make the purchase after my 12.9" experience.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Hello @sracer
Would you kindly add a reference to those who have issues with mini 5? I just got mini 5 recently with no issues but I would like to have an idea so I can return asap if there are any issues. Please post any links that discuss issues with mini 5.
There have been display issues I think there’s a thread here, but I was that outlier who had touch irresponsiveness, a day after my Mini 5 got very hot after downloading movies.
[doublepost=1561744555][/doublepost]
Hello @kazmac,

I did not report any issues with my mini 5 until the moment. I am just writing my experience with it. Until this moment I have 0 touch issues with it.

I am just asking those who have mini 5 to write their experience so we can have a reference for those who are planning to but the device.

Can you write more about your experience inside https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-mini-5-feedback-and-testimony-share-yours.2187782/ so others can benefit from it?
Not much else to say than what I already have, about 24 hours after my Mini 5 got very hot downloading movies from iTunes, I had touch irresponsiveness on it and touch & pencil irresponsiveness in Procreate. I returned the Mini within 72 hours of buying it. Feel free to paste my response there. I haven’t had a Mini 5 since the Monday after it was released.

ipqtr

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2019
Can I just ask about the Warranty in the UK

If you have a 6 month old iPad Pro 11 replaced with a refurb, do you have an extra 3 months telephone support added

Or does this not exist and never has

I remember a few years ago when you received a refurb there was people selling, when they go their refurb back, because there was something added for the first 3 months which is why people purchased them

Maybe I’m get confused with iPhone or ....
I guess if the remaining warranty for the replaced unit is less than 3 months, they will make it 3 months. I once replaced a unit (in UK) on its last day of warranty and they granted me 90 days of warranty.

Richardpryor

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2017
2nd gen 12.9 Pro. The screen touch problem is absurd on mine. Long thread, so excuse my bluntness. Newest model same problem? Don’t have apple care so I can’t do anything with mine. But I can’t handle this anymore. Took me 10 minutes to write this post.

Reactions: dk001 and g75d3

Richardpryor

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2017
So what are our options? Seriously. No 12.9 works? Is the newest 12.9 better than the 2nd gen? This is pathetic really.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
So what are our options? Seriously.

Vote with your wallet; buy a competitor's product.

No 12.9 works?

I'm going to hazard a guess that the majority work fine, otherwise it would be a bit more visible in the news.

Is the newest 12.9 better than the 2nd gen?

I think they're all the same, but I'm just speculating.

This is pathetic really.

Yes, it is.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
So what are our options? Seriously. No 12.9 works? Is the newest 12.9 better than the 2nd gen? This is pathetic really.

Well, my 2018 12.9 works. You're not going to get a lot of "My xxx works" posts on forums - you mainly see the "Mine doesn't work" posts. That's just the nature of all device-oriented forums. And the vast majority of users don't even look at these forums.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Well, my 2018 12.9 works. You're not going to get a lot of "My xxx works" posts on forums - you mainly see the "Mine doesn't work" posts. That's just the nature of all device-oriented forums. And the vast majority of users don't even look at these forums.

Oh I see posts like “I just bought a new iPad and it works” on the MacRumors all the time (also a lot of “mine doesn’t work” like you say). I think this place is quite popular for both sides. Might reflect the reality well enough.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Oh I see posts like “I just bought a new iPad and it works” on the MacRumors all the time (also a lot of “mine doesn’t work” like you say). I think this place is quite popular for both sides. Might reflect the reality well enough.

Absolutely not. Let’s just take your posts for example. As of writing 125 of your 167 posts are on threads complaining about touch screen problems or complaining about it on unrelated threads. You haven’t contributed a great deal more otherwise.

That doesn’t make you unusual. People are quicker to complain than compliment. It’s human nature.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013

Many people report the issue developing after a couple of months so new users having no problems isn't perhaps relevant.

To me it seems like the cumulative effect of lots of tiny bends during normal use over a couple of months produces a touch disease style effect. Lots of people said their iPhone 6 wasn't bent and laughed at the YouTube videos then found their display dead after a year.

Reactions: DragonX

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014

That doesn't even come close to explaining this. There shouldn't be enough of this going on to even support the creation of a thread like this, much less one as busy as this.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
That doesn't even come close to explaining this. There shouldn't be enough of this going on to even support the creation of a thread like this, much less one as busy as this.

I wasn't making any attempt at explaining this, just pointing out that you judge the extent of the problem from forum posts. Yes, it clearly has affected a lot of users. Flip side, neither I nor others I know who own one, have the issue.

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
I am truly sorry for everyone that is experiencing this issue. I myself had a 2nd generation 12.9 IPP that I loved but started to exhibit this issue after nearly a year of use. It drove me nuts to the point where I ended up selling the iPad, after much back and forth deliberation, in May for a new iPad Air 3rd gen, which I love.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.