Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aknot

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
I had these issues with my iPad Pro 12.9 2:nd gen, after installing the public beta of iOS 13 they are gone...
Hoping this will last!

Sci Fi Superfly

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2019
I had these issues with my iPad Pro 12.9 2:nd gen, after installing the public beta of iOS 13 they are gone...
Hoping this will last!
Which version of the beta you did you install?
I have the 11 inch iPad Pro and I ended up replacing my unit as it became unusable at all, unless I force restart my iPad it is a total headache!

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I have the 11 inch iPad Pro and I ended up replacing my unit as it became unusable at all, unless I force restart my iPad it is a total headache!

Who replaced your unit? What did you tell them? Did they ask for proof?
[doublepost=1562509324][/doublepost]
Hoping this will last!

I doubt it. Probably disappeared temporarily. It’s a hardware issue.

Aknot

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007

The public beta of iOS 13, there is only one public beta available.

Sci Fi Superfly

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2019

It was replaced by Apple.

I told them that my iPad does not respond to my touch and the only way to fix it temporarily is by force restarting it. I actually took a video of the issue and gave it to them & also they experienced the issue there, then they took it and after weeks they gave me a replacement unit.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
After a problem free 3.5years with my gen 1 12.9 i finally got the touch disease. I thought people were overplaying the issue but it got a bit annoying for me. Many times when i hit a different tab on safari it wouldnt register.

Good thing my brand new 10.5 pro that i got 2 weeks ago work ****ing silky smooth.

Reactions: dk001

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
After a problem free 3.5years with my gen 1 12.9 i finally got the touch disease. I thought people were overplaying the issue but it got a bit annoying for me. Many times when i hit a different tab on safari it wouldnt register.

Good thing my brand new 10.5 pro that i got 2 weeks ago work ****ing silky smooth.
Good luck with that 10.5 Pro, I returned two brand new ones within 3 days of purchase due to touch disease.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
It's really annoying that we have people here saying they've returned multiple iPads within days, and yet Apple says nothing publicly about the issue, that they're sorry, that they're working on a fix, etc.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
It's really annoying that we have people here saying they've returned multiple iPads within days, and yet Apple says nothing publicly about the issue, that they're sorry, that they're working on a fix, etc.

and more so when you return / replace your IPP and the "Genius" in the store is well aware of the issue. :(

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008

You keep saying this, please confirm which hardware has the issue and who confirmed the issue?

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Does anyone with a really rigid, tight case have these problems?

I have responsiveness issues that are getting worse with IPP 11". Others, as well as I, have noticed it to be a problem when used in our laps or in bed, but not when it is flat on a table. I am thinking it's likely an issue of being slightly bent. This would explain why the issue gets worse over time, as the iPad grows more warped with wear.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
You keep saying this, please confirm which hardware has the issue and who confirmed the issue?
General common sense is a good guide. If identical hardware, running identical software produces different results, the reasonable conclusion is that it is a hardware defect in one device (that is not present in the other) that is causing the issue.

Depending upon the root cause of the issue (eg. deterioration of the touch panel sensitivity) it is possible that iOS could be tweaked to compensate for that. (That could explain the reports of iPad OS "resolving" the issue) The problem isn't fixed, just masked from the user. This is similar to how iOS was tweaked to slow down an iPhone if the battery aged beyond a certain point.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
I’ve noticed that if it goes non responsive in portrait and mine is usually bottom right as I’m right handed, if I move to landscape and use the screen, then change back to portrait it’s back working.
Has anyone else used this method?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I’ve noticed that if it goes non responsive in portrait and mine is usually bottom right as I’m right handed, if I move to landscape and use the screen, then change back to portrait it’s back working.
Has anyone else used this method?
My wife had to shake it to get it to recover. Sounds like what you're doing is very similar to accomplish the same thing. The common element seems to be the accelerometer.

Reactions: seadragon

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
My wife had to shake it to get it to recover. Sounds like what you're doing is very similar to accomplish the same thing. The common element seems to be the accelerometer.

I think you’re on to something with the accelerometer. Mine usually will go unresponsive when I’m holding it landscape and at about a 45 degree angle. As soon as I tilt it up or down, it starts responding again.

Reactions: DragonX and sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think you’re on to something with the accelerometer. Mine usually will go unresponsive when I’m holding it landscape and at about a 45 degree angle. As soon as I tilt it up or down, it starts responding again.
Yeah! My wife used one of those wedge shaped tablet pillows for her 12.9. It positioned it at a 45 degree angle.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012

Yup. Mine's like that too. As soon as I adjust the angle it starts working again.

Zahni

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
Hi,

I have also this problem on my 3rd gen 12.9 Ipad pro.
I had read something about the gyro sensor as source of this problem.
Know I had enabled the orientation lock in landscape mode. Know it feels much better.
Can someone give this a try?

Reactions: sracer

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Hi,

I have also this problem on my 3rd gen 12.9 Ipad pro.
I had read something about the gyro sensor as source of this problem.
Know I had enabled the orientation lock in landscape mode. Know it feels much better.
Can someone give this a try?

Yeah it may help for a while but not in the long run :( It's a Apple's manufacturing fault with the touch screen degrading over time.

Reactions: g75d3

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
My husband and I both have the 12.9 1st gen. Ios 10nwas rock solid. Most of ios 11 we had the touch problem. By the end of 11 it stopped, on both. Haven’t had it on 12. My guess is that it is software related and possibly different vendors for hardware and they can’t keep up with all the different versions. It was weird that 2 ipads had the same problems at the same time and the problems resolved with ios upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.