Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Has anybody noticed any changes within new Apple Maps in Europe? I am still on iOS 11.4, but can see that they have changed the satellite imagery for our area.

se99jmk

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
Personally it's great that they've added a whole load of new info, but...
- I'm in London, so sounds like it'll be at least a year away until it gets here! (Ugh)
- Despite Maps being my main mapping app, I'm still distrustful of even the new data...

For that second one, here's some comparison screenshots in San Francisco of beta 3 (with new maps) and OS X Mohave beta 2 (older maps)

You can see a lot more detail in the greenery, but what's going on with those roads (that are arguably more important?)
- In San Bruno, does the road fork twice or once?
- Near the olympic club, does the road come in from the right or the left?

I could understand additional smaller roads appearing as detail added, but roads disappearing? Hmmmm....
Of course this is in beta, data is likely to change
Screenshot 2018-07-05 at 14.07.57.png
Screenshot 2018-07-05 at 14.07.22.png

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Personally it's great that they've added a whole load of new info, but...
- I'm in London, so sounds like it'll be at least a year away until it gets here! (Ugh)
- Despite Maps being my main mapping app, I'm still distrustful of even the new data...

For that second one, here's some comparison screenshots in San Francisco of beta 3 (with new maps) and OS X Mohave beta 2 (older maps)

You can see a lot more detail in the greenery, but what's going on with those roads (that are arguably more important?)
- In San Bruno, does the road fork twice or once?
- Near the olympic club, does the road come in from the right or the left?

I could understand additional smaller roads appearing as detail added, but roads disappearing? Hmmmm....
Of course this is in beta, data is likely to change View attachment 769140 View attachment 769141
In both cases the roads are still there in the new map data but you have to zoom in a lot closer before they appear. Try it. Perhaps this is because they're not really public roads but private drives? So they don't want to draw too much attention to them, but the detail is there. Perhaps when you're navigating and zoomed in they'll show, too.

Reactions: toffa813

se99jmk

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
In both cases the roads are still there in the new map data but you have to zoom in a lot closer before they appear. Try it. Perhaps this is because they're not really public roads but private drives? So they don't want to draw too much attention to them, but the detail is there. Perhaps when you're navigating and zoomed in they'll show, too.

Interesting! They are indeed there at extreme zoom in, but the weight/width has changed which is why they're not showing when zoomed out at all... presumably the newer thinness is more accurate!

Certainly, when you zoom in there is a LOT more detail... I sincerely hope this doesn't take a year or two to come to appear outside the US!

(Oh, and easier reporting of traffic, roadworks or road changes would be awesome, but doesn't seem to be there yet...)

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I just want them to (finally) realign my "street" (actually a shared driveway) so its not showing as my other neighbor's driveway! Reported about 5 times and finally gave up.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
So there have been some Apple Maps cars around my area lately (south-west England), which I found out is what is behind the extra level of detail in the new Maps they're rolling out.

So a question... when were they first spotted in the California area? At least 2-3 years ago right? Suppose that's how long I can expect to wait to have it here!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
So there have been some Apple Maps cars around my area lately (south-west England), which I found out is what is behind the extra level of detail in the new Maps they're rolling out.

So a question... when were they first spotted in the California area? At least 2-3 years ago right? Suppose that's how long I can expect to wait to have it here!

I would say that assumption isn’t necessarily correct.

The first iteration of an area always takes the longest and they are obviously doing it in their own area first so the team can personally investigate any major glitches. But I would say it has more to do with the new routing software (probe), traffic data, route corrections, etc then any. visual changes to the map.

Wiping out faces and license plates is busy work and doesn’t take that long since most is done by computer and then double checked by a person.

The fact that they are not showing their version of street view yet for San Francisco, but are checking the other stuff, they can launch it in layers.

To me, it seems as if their main goal is to get their own routes out there ASAP so they can start utilizing the data back from the phones to improve the maps even quicker.

I’m betting you see the first improved U.K. maps out within the next 12 months.

Reactions: GreyOS

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I may have missed it, but will Apple start to own their own POI info as well including reviews or will it remain Yelp (and hopefully much more improved with direct input from Apple)??

I wouldn’t mind Yelp considering the large existing database as long as the info/corrections Apple gets back is somehow fed back to them.

I actually use Yelp regularly when I travel and like the app...

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Reactions: Aussi3

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Thanks for that looks good! Wonder how fast the rollout will be :)
Wish Apple had offered some guidance on when/where. I did check in Atlanta an it's not here yet. I would guess that at least the top 10 metro areas in the US should see it by launch date. But who knows?

If anyone has an address they know it is changed and want shown post address in a Copy/Paste format. If I have time and it's plausible I will post.

10600 North Tantau Avenue, Cupertino, CA 95014

Last edited:
Reactions: Aussi3

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Wish Apple had offered some guidance on when/where. I did check in Atlanta an it's not here yet. I would guess that at least the top 10 metro areas in the US should see it by launch date. But who knows?

If anyone has an address they know it is changed and want shown post address in a Copy/Paste format. If I have time and it's plausible I will post.

10600 North Tantau Avenue, Cupertino, CA 95014

Well...they said Bay Area now...Northern CA by release (September)...other areas to follow after that (no particular timeline).

And I’m not sure it will be specific cities like they did with Flyover and Transit info. There are obvious reasons why they would do larger cities first with those.

Because it is more about routing and general graphic changes, you may see complete states or regions come out as completed.

I agree though, the regions most likely will be based on larger areas for those same reasons or where routing/traffic info is so important to drivers. NY/NJ/CT area. SoCal area. PNW (Seattle/Portland)...those would be my guesses as the next areas released after NoCal.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....I agree though, the regions most likely will be based on larger areas for those same reasons or where routing/traffic info is so important to drivers. NY/NJ/CT area. SoCal area. PNW (Seattle/Portland)...those would be my guesses as the next areas released after NoCal.

If based on traffic needs then it would be LA, NYC, Atlanta, Miami, DC. the next 5.

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 6.26.21 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
[QUOTE="MozMan68, post: 26222440, member: 455957]"....I agree though, the regions most likely will be based on larger areas for those same reasons or where routing/traffic info is so important to drivers. NY/NJ/CT area. SoCal area. PNW (Seattle/Portland)...those would be my guesses as the next areas released after NoCal.

If based on traffic needs then it would be LA, NYC, Atlanta, Miami next.

View attachment 769551 [/QUOTE]

I’m sure someone with way more time than us will look at the Apple Van rollout schedule and surmise something from that... ;)

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
Maybe slightly off topic, but when using turn-by-turn guidance...I'm hearing some different sounds for turns on city streets than I remember from before.

Before it was always spoken. Now I'm hearing some tick-tock kind of sounds for some turns. Not sure if this is new or not.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Maybe slightly off topic, but when using turn-by-turn guidance...I'm hearing some different sounds for turns on city streets than I remember from before.

Before it was always spoken. Now I'm hearing some tick-tock kind of sounds for some turns. Not sure if this is new or not.

I think that’s a beta thing...mine was flipping between the “no -voice” chimes and voice when I had a rental car this past week. It was like it didn’t know which to use.

I think it had more to do with being plugged into a different stereo.

But to your question, those are normal...when selected. The tones are different to represent different types of turns

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
I think that’s a beta thing...mine was flipping between the “no -voice” chimes and voice when I had a rental car this past week. It was like it didn’t know which to use.

I think it had more to do with being plugged into a different stereo.

But to your question, those are normal...when selected. The tones are different to represent different types of turns

I just dont remember hearing the tick-tock ones before like they are now in IOS12. Before when I left the interstate for gas, it would start telling me how to get back on track very quickly. Now Im hearing the new sounds before I get to the bottom of the exit ramp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.