Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I just dont remember hearing the tick-tock ones before like they are now in IOS12. Before when I left the interstate for gas, it would start telling me how to get back on track very quickly. Now Im hearing the new sounds before I get to the bottom of the exit ramp.

They were always there when the voice can’t be used like when you are on a phone call...you get the audible prompts instead of the voice.

They should only occur in that situation (or if you choose it)....what I’m saying is that my phone was giving me the audible prompts when it should have been giving me the voice. And i think that was just more of the phone confusing the connection with the stereo it was plugged into.

Are you saying the audible prompts are different than before? They sound the same to me.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Well...must be some sort of glitch as the sound prompts were coming on for me all morning when I was using Maps...and then, suddenly, the voice prompts started working on one of the trips.

MadeByApple

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2015
My only gripe with Apple maps is the delay between where I am on the map versus where I really am in life.

I feel like in real life I approach street intersections far sooner than Apple maps displays on the turn-by-turn directions. This causes me to miss turns sometimes.

Google Maps/Waze has the same issue but i think Apple Maps has it far worse.

Reactions: sassenach74

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
The gist of the thread is about Apple's use of its own data in maps instead of a hodgepodge of aggregated data from Tom Tom, etc. This is about the underlying points and what you see in Maps view. Any satellite images, announcements, directions, other changes or problems are different issues than what Apple's announced about switching to internal Map data.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Couple more shots this time from San Francisco using same format of 11 and then 12.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0175.jpg

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Last image in the post above...iOS12...the walkway just above MLK Dr. should continue to the left of the street that breaks off to the top of the map. Clearly visible in the satellite view...and Google Maps has it.

Makes me wonder why it isn't there?

Still some work to do....Walking directions would come to a sudden halt there.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Still having audio prompt issues every once in a while, but one thing I noticed that REALLY helps compared to Waze; when I'm off the route (in a parking lot or a driveway), Maps immediately shows direction I'm moving so I at least know I'm heading in the correct direction. With Waze, it defaults to the route like it doesn't know where you really are until your moving some distance. It's basically a 50/50 shot when I'm turning onto the road that the route is going, and yeah...I guess wrong more than 50% of the time typically... :(

Still huge parsing issues...fast food joints show up on Maps as well as Waze or Google this week when I looked, but seriously, I don't want to have to drive onto an Air Force Base or to a sports stadium to get to one. Those should be tagged as such or just removed from the list when you are set to "drive" there.

Although, the same thing can happen in Waze when a fast food joint is in a mall. I think Google notes it sometimes so you know to pick the next one. Will be in the Bay Area in August to go Maps crazy and see if I can notice any changes.

digitalexplr

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2016
Central Missouri
Where?

I think his question was more around the data in the Bay Area...has it improved or changed in any way??

Understood. The only data update thus far is the Bay Area.

However they are updating the whole mapping system, so seeing the mapping vans around the country is encouraging.

I specifically passed them in Jefferson City, Missouri.

The small print:

1. Turn-by-turn navigation is available on iPhone 4s or later, iPad Pro, iPad (2nd generation or later), iPad Air or later, and iPad mini or later with cellular data capability. Cellular data charges may apply.
  2. Transit is available on iPhone 5 or later, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation), iPad Air or later, iPad mini 2 or later, and iPod touch (6th generation). Cellular data charges may apply.
  3. Flyover is available on iPhone 4s or later, iPad Pro, iPad (2nd generation or later), iPad Air or later, iPad mini or later, and iPod touch (5th generation or later). To experience Flyover as you move your device through space, you need iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro, or iPad (5th generation). Cellular data charges may apply.
  4. Siri is available on iPhone 4s or later, iPad Pro, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad Air or later, iPad mini or later, and iPod touch (5th generation or later) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
  5. iCloud requires an iCloud-enabled device. Some features require iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra. Some features require a Wi-Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries or regions. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.

Last edited:

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Aren't the changes going to be server side for now? I don't think they'll require iOS 12 updates, will they?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Aren't the changes going to be server side for now? I don't think they'll require iOS 12 updates, will they?
Correct, the new maps are just limited to iOS 12 but as usual with server pushed data is totally unrelated to any iOS 12 update. There may have been new area/data added yesterday and/or some could be added tomorrow.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Understood. The only data update thus far is the Bay Area.

However they are updating the whole mapping system, so seeing the mapping vans around the country is encouraging.

I specifically passed them in Jefferson City, Missouri.

Yeah...the Maps webpage shows where they are working on a county or city basis. Even mapping England right now.

https://maps.apple.com/vehicles/

Reactions: Aussi3

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Correct, the new maps are just limited to iOS 12 but as usual with server pushed data is totally unrelated to any iOS 12 update. There may have been new area/data added yesterday and/or some could be added tomorrow.

The article specifically stated that only iOS 12 beta users would see the changes for now.

Yep, iOS12 only but presumably served by user agent and should update dynamically server side, as they make changes?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
That is the impression I have. The Map update will be across the board. Maybe something special for iOS 12? But I haven't gotten the impression iOS 12 will be a requirement.

I thought otherwise but I'm quite possibly wrong.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Someone way smarter than me needs to explain how though...and why.

The most likely method is User Agent headers in the web service calls sent from your device when the Maps app makes request to the servers. It's the same mechanism web servers use to detect whether you're using Chrome or Safari, on Windows or a Mac, Mobile or Desktop.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The most likely method is User Agent headers in the web service calls sent from your device when the Maps app makes request to the servers. It's the same mechanism web servers use to detect whether you're using Chrome or Safari, on Windows or a Mac, Mobile or Desktop.

Sure...but why limit new Maps to beta users only?

Unless they are worried about “data overload” as they test the routing system. I wonder how many people in the Bay Area are on the beta versus not?

Okay...now that I say that, makes sense why they would purposefully limit it versus it being a true iOS 12 required update.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Sure...but why limit new Maps to beta users only?

Unless they are worried about “data overload” as they test the routing system. I wonder how many people in the Bay Area are on the beta versus not?

Okay...now that I say that, makes sense why they would purposefully limit it versus it being a true iOS 12 required update.

Ah. Gotcha. That I don't know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.