Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

andy007

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
UK
Has anyone been having issues on the latest beta displaying the new map data in the Bay Area? On the latest public beta the map app is still showing the old data for me. Even tried a few of the locations in this thread with no joy.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I’m really not sure what the issue is here.

You are given the route options when you start your route. Apple Maps automatically reroutes you to the fastest route. I’m not sure what one would want to choose while driving??

Mostly, that's a sane choice. Recently however I chose a longer route on purpose (I wanted to drive the mountain switchbacks) and half way along my route it just came up with a popup saying there's a faster route, and a timer bar that would automatically select it. I probably just missed it (or maybe I needed to unlock my phone? This was on the CarPlay screen) but I couldn't see any way to tell it to just leave my route alone.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Has anyone been having issues on the latest beta displaying the new map data in the Bay Area? On the latest public beta the map app is still showing the old data for me. Even tried a few of the locations in this thread with no joy.
Remember it is server/backend pushed and NOT in the beta. Are you in the UK? Not positive and others would need to check. [speculation]It may be that it is pushed to US only iOS12 users at this time.[/speculation]

andy007

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
UK
Remember it is server/backend pushed and NOT in the beta. Are you in the UK? Not positive and others would need to check. [speculation]It may be that it is pushed to US only iOS12 users at this time.[/speculation]

I am in the UK and I was wondering if this could be the reason. Would be good if others could check if the new maps are showing for them if they are located outside of the US?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I am in the UK and I was wondering if this could be the reason. Would be good if others could check if the new maps are showing for them if they are located outside of the US?
To make it SUPER easy for anyone to instantly check. Type in (or copy/paste) the coordinates 35.7928 -121.2054 and you will obviously see the line of the new maps to the top/north. If you don't see this you have the original data still.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 4.53.33 PM.png

Reactions: MozMan68

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I've read through some of the post in this thread and lots of other threads over time, relative to "routing" and I'm offering a perspective that most of you don't have as I've worked with mapping/GIS for around 30 years. I've chimed in in these Forums about seeing different routing options in Apple Maps recently in regions that Apple vehicles have been spotted since 2015. If you're familiar with Photoshop, AutoCAD, or Illy, think of routing as a "layer" in Maps as POIs are, with the externally-referenced TomTom/TeleAtlas maps as the "base" layer - using the macOS or iOS app we're seeing, in essence, a dynamic flattened image - and changes can be made to one layer without affecting the other layers. I have two points in this regard...

First, consider this - Apple has deployed vehicles here and there around the world. What we don't know is whether Apple has "timed" their vehicles trips and that they are or are not dialing in their vehicle's times into their new version of Maps - I would. The routing data could be swapped out by region with little work. Also, Apple could have hired a company that provides routing data - yes, this is a thing - and consigned them to perform their work on a periodic basis with an understanding that any other routing company could be swapped in with little issue. Keep in mind that traffic companies like INRIX (which Apple has not worked with in the past - I've posed this question to them several times) have sensors built in to tens of millions of vehicles around the world, another active routing resource that is primed to be used and exploited. I have personally seen several routing changes in the past few weeks - Apple could use their routing times from their mapping vehicles or use a routing company, per region. I'm seeing more divergence from TomTom as time goes on, heading to the Bay Area in a few weeks and will be using an iOS 12 and an iOS 11.4 device and do a bit of a comparison. There's no reason why Apple couldn't dial in new routing data before swapping out anything else.

Second bit, I've waxed in these Forums about a new Broadcom chipset that includes GPS options - specifically far more accurate placement will be an option. That chipset will allow for per-lane navigation placement which IMHO would provide trickle-down benefits to handsets without that new chipset - with newer imagery and LIDAR data, I'm expecting Apple's routing offerings to improve mightily soon.

[speculation]It may be that it is pushed to US only iOS12 users at this time.[/speculation]
See my earlier post. What's showing up on iOS 12 is also showing up in Mojave's "light mode" Maps view (not in Satellite or Transit View).

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I've read through some of the post in this thread and lots of other threads over time, relative to "routing" and I'm offering a perspective that most of you don't have as I've worked with mapping/GIS for around 30 years. I've chimed in in these Forums about seeing different routing options in Apple Maps recently in regions that Apple vehicles have been spotted since 2015. If you're familiar with Photoshop, AutoCAD, or Illy, think of routing as a "layer" in Maps as POIs are, with the externally-referenced TomTom/TeleAtlas maps as the "base" layer - using the macOS or iOS app we're seeing, in essence, a dynamic flattened image - and changes can be made to one layer without affecting the other layers. I have two points in this regard...

First, consider this - Apple has deployed vehicles here and there around the world. What we don't know is whether Apple has "timed" their vehicles trips and that they are or are not dialing in their vehicle's times into their new version of Maps - I would. The routing data could be swapped out by region with little work. Also, Apple could have hired a company that provides routing data - yes, this is a thing - and consigned them to perform their work on a periodic basis with an understanding that any other routing company could be swapped in with little issue. Keep in mind that traffic companies like INRIX (which Apple has not worked with in the past - I've posed this question to them several times) have sensors built in to tens of millions of vehicles around the world, another active routing resource that is primed to be used and exploited. I have personally seen several routing changes in the past few weeks - Apple could use their routing times from their mapping vehicles or use a routing company, per region. I'm seeing more divergence from TomTom as time goes on, heading to the Bay Area in a few weeks and will be using an iOS 12 and an iOS 11.4 device and do a bit of a comparison. There's no reason why Apple couldn't dial in new routing data before swapping out anything else.

Second bit, I've waxed in these Forums about a new Broadcom chipset that includes GPS options - specifically far more accurate placement will be an option. That chipset will allow for per-lane navigation placement which IMHO would provide trickle-down benefits to handsets without that new chipset - with newer imagery and LIDAR data, I'm expecting Apple's routing offerings to improve mightily soon.

See my earlier post. What's showing up on iOS 12 is also showing up in Mojave's "light mode" Maps view (not in Satellite or Transit View).

I'm gonna be there in a few weeks as well, but wasn't planning on doing a side-by-side...don't have another phone to compare with. I'm just hoping to buzz around and see if I can notice any difference or see more updates around construction, traffic, etc....more so than usual, that is.

Can't wait to see your comparison.

Reactions: Aussi3

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Can't wait to see your comparison.
Not sure if the comparison is going to happen just yet. My GF landed in the Bay Area, coming from London - she wasn't grumpy about the jet lag but used some colorful Gallic language (she's Irish, a graphics geek, and hates Bay Area traffic more than I do...) before asking along the lines of "what new maps around here?" I'd just updated to B5 on my Air 2, and screen shared with her iPhone and it seems as the updated Maps data has been pulled or turned off - it was available for me last night as I am planning my trip to the Bay Area, back to the old TomTom crap for now... :oops:

I haven't checked what's available in my Mojave container just yet...

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Not sure if the comparison is going to happen just yet. My GF landed in the Bay Area, coming from London - she wasn't grumpy about the jet lag but used some colorful Gallic language (she's Irish, a graphics geek, and hates Bay Area traffic more than I do...) before asking along the lines of "what new maps around here?" I'd just updated to B5 on my Air 2, and screen shared with her iPhone and it seems as the updated Maps data has been pulled or turned off - it was available for me last night as I am planning my trip to the Bay Area, back to the old TomTom crap for now... :oops:

I haven't checked what's available in my Mojave container just yet...

Damn...still on my iPhone, but it is on the public beta, so I guess I will see if I lose the data tomorrow when I check. Was really hoping to see the data spread out further, not go backwards.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Another week but no expansion. Still the same area mapped unless it has been added somewhere else, not contiguous.

EDIT: Just discovered something very curious. I updated to DB5 today and the new data is MIA from my iPhone and iPad. It is still on my Mac but I haven't updated it to DB5 yet. Will update tonight and check tomorrow. It is not listed as being removed in the notes so not sure.

Last edited:

powerocool

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Seems like I'm back to the old Map data in Beta 5 on both Mac and iOS... I guess they are not ready to switch.

baihan8

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2012
Hacienda Heights, CA
It looks like Mojave (18A336e build) has gone back to old data. I assume it was just pulled from the servers?
Damn...still on my iPhone, but it is on the public beta, so I guess I will see if I lose the data tomorrow when I check. Was really hoping to see the data spread out further, not go backwards.
But my situation doesn't make sense since it looks like they are still pushing the new maps data for non DB5 users...

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
FYI I did check the Maps app in Mojave, the updates are MIA as well in the latest update. :oops: One of my handsets still on DB4 is still showing the updated data.

Given that the Maps app in both iOS and macOS and seeing that the update is still live in DB4, this issue is likely related to a User Agent-related issue that can easily be addressed on Apple's server side. My trip to SF was delayed for a few days, got to head back to Seattle tomorrow and my better half is meeting me there courtesy of my frequent flier miles - I'll distract with lots of coffee and seafood while Apple gets this sorted!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Here are beta 4 and 5 maps laid side by side (4 on the left or on top depending on how you are viewing this)

55107c5a897c0c521387bd38fac3661f.png
7a7be019a8f0acf5a35b02332f60f4c7.png

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Could somebody else confirm that the new maps are back in DB5 after their brief disappearance? I was thinking of trying the new PB4 when it comes out, but if the new maps are missing from it, I would probably wait for the next beta.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Could somebody else confirm that the new maps are back in DB5 after their brief disappearance? I was thinking of trying the new PB4 when it comes out, but if the new maps are missing from it, I would probably wait for the next beta.
Yup, the new maps data is still there.

Reactions: one more

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
To me, an interesting bit about a component of Maps (macOS and iOS) I noted this morning. A couple of my employees were sent to the Bay Area with an understanding to avoid traveling near fire zones and be proactive with checking for safe routes at least once an hour (backed up by either myself or another employee at a workstation). I personally made several of the hourly checks on my end - which involves contact directly with DOTs and police/fire agencies. The plan was to travel down the coastal routes, I'll eat the cost of the additional time and lodging - safety first...

What I noticed - with a 3 monitor display with OR's TripCheck, CA's CalTrans's QuickMap, and the TomTom Drive/GMaps/HereWeGo/INRIX/Sigalert services all open in SSBs - was that Apple Maps in southern OR and CA was showing different traffic issues than any other as though they weren't reliant on TomTom on either I5 or Hwy. 101. I also check PurpleAir's site - nasty air quality for a fair amount of their trip led me to keep my guys off I-5 FWIW.

AMs wasn't what I would call "perfect" in OR but I noted that in CA none of the other mapping sources matched up with CalTrans's reports (I checked) - AM was spot on down the 101 and also on connecting routes from I-5 between the border and the Bay Area, leading to my feeling that Apple may have hired a different routing company or are monitoring what's going on in DOT control centers (which are pretty cool to be in if you're a traffic design geek like I am...).

MS released updates to their own mapping engines today but I haven't had time to look them over just yet. MS and Apple had mapping vehicles in 7 areas that I was working in in 2015/6 within a couple of weeks of each other, MS is filling in with HereWeGo FWIW.

Reactions: one more

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
After installing PB4 over 11.4.1 this week, I took the new Maps for a drive along a familiar 130 km route in France-Switzerland and these are some observations:

1) They seem to be using the probe data more actively, as I saw many more parts of the road coloured orange or red. They also made the borders of the road we are meant to travel on darker, so it is more visible now.
2) They seem to have changed the guidance system, where we are told about the next step to take at the top of the phone screen (keep straight, turn left, etc.) They are more frequent now, but in my case, are not necessarily more helpful, as if I did not know the route by heart, it would get me confused a few times. In my experience, their best ever guidance system was in iOS 9, but then it was changed in iOS 10 with the redesign.
3) Maps allow us to turn the screen off, so it would automatically come back on again before the next manoeuvre. This feature at the moment is out of synch, as the screen either does not turn on or goes off in the middle of the crossroads/roundabout, which was not the case before.
4) The ETAs seem more accurate now.

Let’s see how it develops as the iOS 12 betas mature.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
After installing PB4 over 11.4.1 this week, I took the new Maps for a drive along a familiar 130 km route in France-Switzerland and these are some observations:

1) They seem to be using the probe data more actively, as I saw many more parts of the road coloured orange or red. They also made the borders of the road we are meant to travel on darker, so it is more visible now.
2) They seem to have changed the guidance system, where we are told about the next step to take at the top of the phone screen (keep straight, turn left, etc.) They are more frequent now, but in my case, are not necessarily more helpful, as if I did not know the route by heart, it would get me confused a few times. In my experience, their best ever guidance system was in iOS 9, but then it was changed in iOS 10 with the redesign.
3) Maps allow us to turn the screen off, so it would automatically come back on again before the next manoeuvre. This feature at the moment is out of synch, as the screen either does not turn on or goes off in the middle of the crossroads/roundabout, which was not the case before.
4) The ETAs seem more accurate now.

Let’s see how it develops as the iOS 12 betas mature.

This is interesting as the only new area of Apple Maps at this point is supposed to be Northern California here in the US. This may be the Maps app itself rather than the data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.