Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Well..this was an unexpected surprise this morning. You’re welcome, people of San Francisco. . Less than 4 days to correct...and that included a weekend! I’m very happy about this.

fa384467047716be08f250f72a1079ef.png

...and tried driving directions as well as walking directions. Fixed!

4654df3c40eea485c83397f3c8350f56.png

cce08c1e2c4b2a6a81f0d039d5b0f4fd.png

That’s great! Excited to see they’re being so responsive.

I’ve reported my street ( the driveway I share with my neighbor) as being mis-displayed in Maps for several years. Not a peep.

That’s the difference between owning the data and licensing someone else’s data.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
That’s great! Excited to see they’re being so responsive.

I’ve reported my street ( the driveway I share with my neighbor) as being mis-displayed in Maps for several years. Not a peep.

That’s the difference between owning the data and licensing someone else’s data.

And honestly, knowing they are still pulling POI data from Yelp, I was surprised it was changed so quickly. But I guess there is a difference from using them to populate the data versus correcting after the fact. I hope this is a sign of things to come.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Another week and still not a sq inch more of new data. Not much of a roll out since there has been no roll in months.:eek:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Don't remember the part about "until launch".

Yep...Bay Area during beta and starting with Northern CA in the fall...I know I’m not quoting exactly, but it left the impression it wouldn’t be until official ios12 launch.

Edit: from the original article, “... has published an in-depth overview of the changes coming to Apple Maps, which will be available in the San Francisco area starting with the next iOS 12 beta next week, cover all of Northern California by this fall, and roll out across the rest of the United States over the next year.”

SF did indeed come with the next beta, but NoCal was literally a week later at the next beta after that.

Reactions: matty.p

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Looks like no changes with the latest betas...at least none that I can see checking the usual areas I've been looking at. Just dying to see where and when they roll out additional areas. I have a weird feeling it will be pretty expansive at launch versus the "slow" rollout they hinted at in the article.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Looks like no changes with the latest betas...at least none that I can see checking the usual areas I've been looking at. Just dying to see where and when they roll out additional areas. I have a weird feeling it will be pretty expansive at launch versus the "slow" rollout they hinted at in the article.

Agree. Suspect we’ll find out on 9/19.

Reactions: MozMan68

Jarrodbcall

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2013
That first half rolled out faster than expected, so hopefully that bodes well for us in the mountain west. If the updates are as good as they advertise maybe my boyfriend and I can finally stop disagreeing about my use of Apple maps (and then he will realize I am actually just a terrible navigator and no app can fix that, haha).

Reactions: Dj64Mk7 and Aussi3

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
That first half rolled out faster than expected, so hopefully that bodes well for us in the mountain west. If the updates are as good as they advertise maybe my boyfriend and I can finally stop disagreeing about my use of Apple maps (and then he will realize I am actually just a terrible navigator and no app can fix that, haha).

Hah..I seem to switch to Apple Maps during every beta and then go back to Waze after general release.

Not this year. Apple Maps has been really good for me all summer long with only a few hiccups. And I think it may just be a regular update, but there have been so many corrections and better navigating in my home area over the past two weeks. Having experienced the new data set while driving in the Bay Area a few weeks ago, I can't wait for the updates to hit my home area.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Unless Apple come up with a mapping miracle worldwide within a month, people in Europe where Apple Maps so far had a bad reputation would just jump on one of Google offerings, which could solidify their dominant position outside of the US even more?

Follow this thread and one see's very little discussion about Maps value as a Nav app. It's looking at satellite imagery or new buildings going up. Virtually zero discussion about location accuracy or routing accuracy. In Europe it varies by country. So far this year (past 3 months) I've done Sweden, France, Switzerland (where I have a home) and Italy. Rating it from 0 to 5 would be as follows:

Sweden: 2
France: 4
Switzerland: 4
Italy: 0

I also have a home in south Florida. Too many times I'm left at the end of a dead end street. I'd rate it as a 2.

In all cases Google Maps would rate a 5 other than Italy where it's right only 70% of the time (a 3 rating). Yes, Google will solidify its dominant position. To the extent I don't understand why Apple even bothers anymore. Nice visuals, easy to read but borderline useless for navigation or POI.

Reactions: arkitect

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Follow this thread and one see's very little discussion about Maps value as a Nav app. It's looking at satellite imagery or new buildings going up. Virtually zero discussion about location accuracy or routing accuracy. In Europe it varies by country. So far this year (past 3 months) I've done Sweden, France, Switzerland (where I have a home) and Italy. Rating it from 0 to 5 would be as follows:

I also have a home in south Florida. Too many times I'm left at the end of a dead end street. I'd rate it as a 2.

In all cases Google Maps would rate a 5 other than Italy where it's right only 70% of the time (a 3 rating). Yes, Google will solidify its dominant position. To the extent I don't understand why Apple even bothers anymore. Nice visuals, easy to read but borderline useless for navigation or POI.

Actually, I think I’ve stated multiple times in here (maybe another Maps thread?) about accuracy and routing.

And one of our posters in here, he’s commented in nauseating detail about the routing software and how accurate it is.

So, I’ll repeat again, outside of one weird “get off the highway and get right back on” incident (which I attribute to a last minute traffic update) I have had little to no issues with guidance. I’ve had to be nit picky about building entrances and such because the routing itself has always taken me right where I need to go.

The visual aspects are just a bonus IMHO. And yes, I personally prefer the UI much more than any other mapping software I’ve tried. But that’s me.

Internationally, I only used in Sweden without issue, but ended up using Google simply so I could download the region to my phone to save on data (tried HERE as well). Nice feature that Apple could use, even if it only provides basic navigation.

EDIT: And I guess I should mention that I travel nearly every single week all over the US...no issues all summer long using Maps exclusively. Understand completely that Maps is lacking in many countries, but looks like Apple is focusing on the USA (duh) and Great Britain to start.

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
In Europe it varies by country. So far this year (past 3 months) I've done Sweden, France, Switzerland (where I have a home) and Italy. Rating it from 0 to 5 would be as follows:

I should consider myself lucky driving mostly around France and Switzerland then. ;)

From my observations regularly driving along the same long route, Apple are still actively adjusting their routing hints, so I am eager to see what comes out of it once the public iOS 12 version is released.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
One place Google Maps fails miserably as a navigation software is South Korea. No routing information is provided at all due to the debacle with the Korean government regarding the export of map data.

Meanwhile, Apple was happy to comply and the Apple Maps’ turn-by-turn navigation works quite well. It’s missing some POIs and lack lane guidance & speed limit info, but it’s usable. I’d rate it as 3 out of 5, where the local map apps (Kakao and Naver) would get 5. I hope Apple keeps up with the improvements.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
FYI, I noticed that the updated mapping in CA and NV went live to both iOS 11 and High Sierra late this morning.

To those still looking for an alternative for navigation options consider INRIX, pretty much my main go-to for travel navigation. Google Maps base for viewing, OpenStreet maps for navigation (there's a reason for this, not using Google's servers because...), they use their own machine learning engine for navigation. A significant reason for my using INRIX is their use of a vast array of sensors in roadways, connected vehicles (even including wipers), and weather stations - my traffic updates include reroutes due to traffic and foul weather, and they also include the means to provide input for accidents, weather, police... No ads, regular updates, worldwide availability, much faster incident refresh (every 60 seconds), an iPad version too (it's on my LTE Air 2, which I do use for navigation...). My 2¢.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Seems like there hasn’t been any maps updates in months.
To a person with an untrained eye or no experience along the So OR/NoCal border, yes. To me, there are recent updates.

From my own experience, going back around 17 years, I am seeing new aerial data and highway data and POI data. More specifically, zoom in on the CA/OR border - in "Satellite" mode, in a swath bleeding up to 200-500 yards/meters into Oregon, Apple has incorporated new, hi-res aerials - to wit, shadows (trees, shrubs, buildings) are at a different angle and newer elements are shown at higher resolution. Older aerials are pretty much the same as the archived imagery I've personally seen (in Mr. SID format) while the newer imagery reflects how things "look" now. I started working in Southern OR along its border with CA in 2002 (mods to a realignment of Hwy. 141), and am finally seeing updated imagery showing up in AM. I still have contract work along the OR/CA border. Also seeing updated - nee, new - POI data along OR's common border with CA.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
How I’ll know they’ve updated in my area:

When they move my road where it belongs (instead of being my neighbor’s driveway):

(removed map because Apple's markup black markers aren't quite good enough!)

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
How I’ll know they’ve updated in my area:

When they move my road where it belongs (instead of being my neighbor’s driveway):
Thread is about Apple's plan to switch over to using its own mapping data (New Apple Maps) and there have been NO updates to the initial release so far. Updates like yours (unless you live in northern California) are just changes to the 3ed party data Apple licenses and done dynamically all the time.

Last edited:

Aussi3

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Facesticks on the App store
I
Thread is about Apple's plan to switch over to using its own mapping data (New Apple Maps) and there have been NO updates to the initial release so far. Updates like yours (unless you live in northern California) are just changes to the 3ed party data Apple licenses and done dynamically all the time.

I’ll be replying to this in 2030 when Australia gets new Apple maps :p it seems we are a long way off since there’s no apple cars here yet and Australia is so big lol

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

I didn’t say they updated mine (CT). I said I’d know when they did by my street appearing in the correct location (not 75’ to the west as it shows on the current maps depiction).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.