Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
This is interesting as the only new area of Apple Maps at this point is supposed to be Northern California here in the US. This may be the Maps app itself rather than the data.

Indeed, while there are no visual changes to my area (outside of the US), what I experienced seems to indicate some undergoing background changes to the routing mechanisms, etc.

This makes me wonder what is going to happen when iOS 12 comes out in September, considering they are opening CarPlay to Waze and Google Maps. Unless Apple come up with a mapping miracle worldwide within a month, people in Europe where Apple Maps so far had a bad reputation would just jump on one of Google offerings, which could solidify their dominant position outside of the US even more? Unless Apple can still gather that anonymous traffic info even when people use other navigation solutions? To be seen.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Indeed, while there are no visual changes to my area (out of the US), what I experienced seems to indicate some undergoing background changes to the routing mechanisms, etc.

I thought I noticed some of these as well, but wasn’t sure. I have seen traffic lines change, even as I’m driving right through them.

I thought the turn notifications changed as well...but maybe not.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I thought the turn notifications changed as well...but maybe not.

Yes, they have, they now seem to be more frequent, but not always more clear. For example, I go through a road section where the main road bears right and there is another secondary road joining it on the left, so it is almost a T-junction when you get there. In iOS 11 Maps would instruct me to turn right, but now they tell me to go on straight, even though the road itself turns right. You can see the screenshot of that section attached. I know the route super well, but can bet somebody driving there for the first time would get confused.

FD4357CB-2610-43C9-A85B-899BE9B411D2.jpeg

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
This is interesting as the only new area of Apple Maps at this point is supposed to be Northern California here in the US. This may be the Maps app itself rather than the data.
Did a quick scan and there doesn't appear to be any new Apple Map data in France-Switzerland or anywhere in Europe or anywhere in the US other than already noted parts of California/Nevada. Probably placebo effect.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Did a quick scan and there doesn't appear to be any new Apple Map data in France-Switzerland or anywhere in Europe or anywhere in the US other than already noted parts of California/Nevada. Probably placebo effect.

Visually the maps have not changed here at all, yet there are visible changes to both the guidance system (different instructions to iOS 11) and traffic conditions (more colourful sections on the chosen route, which was not the case just a week ago).

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Just to add : It is VERY clear that the new Apple Mapping data uses different colors. The main background has a green hue to it. Also parks are lighter and other colors are different too. So no green hue=no new Apple Map data.

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 9.23.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 9.29.10 AM.png

[doublepost=1533476841][/doublepost]Even from a far out view you can see how different the new Apple Maps look.

IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0182.jpg

Reactions: Aussi3 and one more

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Just to add : It is VERY clear that the new Apple Mapping data uses different colors. The main background has a green hue to it. Also parks are lighter and other colors are different too. So no green hue=no new Apple Map data.

View attachment 774465

View attachment 774466
[doublepost=1533476841][/doublepost]Even from a far out view you can see how different the new Apple Maps look.

View attachment 774476 View attachment 774477

Understood, but I think @OneMore is saying that the app itself is behaving differently.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Understood, but I think @OneMore is saying that the app itself is behaving differently.
I bet what they are seeing is just normal maintenance and changes to the current database. Apple must continue to update and support all areas until the change over. So the changes are unrelated to the new map data and would have happened anyway.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I bet what they are seeing is just normal maintenance and changes to the current database. Apple must continue to update and support all areas until the change over. So the changes are unrelated to the new map data and would have happened anyway.

But again...and I agree with him...excluding the physical map data (the “more green” imho is just designating more detail), there seems to be a distinct functional change related to traffic data and turn by turn info. I noticed it as well since the last update.

Maybe they are able to limit the graphical data to Northern CA, but other changes coming were released to all beta users. It actually makes sense on some level.

Not saying they are major, but like you said, updates with this release that everyone will see.

Still looking forward to being in the Bay Area at the end of next week to see if there are specific changes I can notice.

Reactions: one more

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
So, like a worried mother hen I pulled my employees from NoCA a few hours ago, recalling them far away from that area. I'll sleep better tonight knowing they're out of harm's way - tracking them, I know they're out of fire zones and potential evacuation zones as I type this.

What I learned that's relevant to this thread? Apple Maps - now on iOS 11 and 12 as far as I can see - is one of two mapping services that are correctly listing roadway traffic/closure data in NoCA, the other being Verizon's MapQuest. I refer to several sources for my info - pretty much full time in instances where my crews are near potential hazards. One of my crews is SW of Redding, only AM and MapQuest were the only publicly available map/navigation services that correctly reported closures reported by the relevant counties and DOTs. Specifically, the A16 route was closed and only AM and MapQuest reflected (past, and present tense as it's still closed to/from Redding in addition to Hwy. 299).

FWIW my dispatchers and I have Chrome SSBs for several sites - Sigalert, INRIX, TomTom, HERE, MapQuest/Yahoo (both VZW owned but with different map data sources - OSM/HERE, respectively) - set up to connect with those and local sources. AM and MapQuest had the most up-to-date traffic/closure/routing data available. I make phone calls to verify validity - old school as I'm old school. AM and MQ included both DOT-level and local-level data that accurate at this writing. I'm pleased to no end that my employees are safe and I'd drop anything to make sure there's a path to safety.

To those posting about routing changes in the past several posts keep in mind that most of these mapping suppliers use outside/external companies that provide this service - there's several including ESRI's World Traffic Service backed up by HERE - more or less a simple lines of JavaScript can change or add a different directions routing server. Right now, I don't care as I just want the correct information even if I have to call the local fire marshal...

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
First morning in SF...drive to hotel was spot on last night...didn’t notice anything different.

One of the things I was hoping to see was the addition of better “directions to front door” stuff they talked about.

Drove into the city without issue. Directions “seemed” perfect...but no side by side phones and while I’ve driven through here 100 times, I wouldn’t know if it was the best route or not...but got me here without issue and minimal traffic. And damn, I love the graphics on Maps when driving through a city.

After I parked my car, wanted to walk to a Starbucks. Walking directions cut me through a park...looks like the fastest way.

b65d090fcef6baaa50ce8654c5a56442.png

But if you look where it has me ending, that’s where the building is for the Starbucks, but there is no entry there...just a wall. The entrance(s) are actually around the corner...really on a different street (corner of Jackson and Davis)

I’m standing in the Starbucks and asked for walking directions.

e9e112211ae4edfe7e928e19ea218643.png

Wants to take me back around the corner to Washington street.

Not the biggest deal in the world, but it’s the little things...and they said they are working on this specific issue.

Going to see if I can submit a correction...and then see how fast it is corrected.

On another note, the incorrect intersection near my house in Michigan...brought it up to show someone how it was wrong...it was corrected. Hah. I’m sure that’s a TomTom thing finally catching up almost a year later.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Hmmm...2 for 2...happened again this morning at a Starbucks out in Pleasanton.

Directions took me to the rear of the building. Not being from around here, I didn’t even know I was on the backside of a shopping center.

ce2fe63d46b9c4acbafac7cb1ff49c61.png

Drove around the building to the front entrance.

6f16f4f31dbf53d16173b7c51c808032.png

And then again...from inside the Starbucks...asked for walking directions to it and Maps wants me to go around to the back of the building.

5e2f6abe0f11e126c049c816d54f6fa8.png

Submitting a correction, but the article seemed to imply that Maps was already implementing this feature. Not sure how, so maybe it is something that won’t kick in until official release??

Edit: Should note that Google wants me to walk out to the main road...where the actual address is...so, not much better.

Reactions: Aussi3 and baihan8

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Keep up the posts (and the corrections)!

A fellow Michigander, eh? GM sent me away a long time ago, but the Mitten is still home!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
It’s funny...I’m almost wishing for new roads, construction, whatever....did notice this though.

Brand new building going up...Maps already has the foundation/shape of it in place. (Lower left side)

e6bd6e1a2cf469c387f13435d352de7b.png

Oh...and I’m loving the parking lot detail...

Last edited:
Reactions: Aussi3

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Would be good if they just had the data for everywhere and it just improved in iOS 12 for everyone lol I’m still waiting for Apple maps cars to come to Australia :p
So far Apple has not extended the new data area any. Very likely that Apple is still gathering, processing and compiling a lot of the data and it could NOT be rolled out everywhere at once. I believe Apple said and it will likely be a rollout as the data is ready. As for how long and where next is anyones guess since Apple hasn't rolled any new data out and given more than a hint. In all likelihood the US will be completed first and I would guess that Europe next. [Wild Guess]So in Australia it could be from 1 to 3 or more years before it is ready[/Wild Guess].

Also you don't have any cars with CarPlay in Australia? A quick search says you do.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/...an-buy-in-australia-with-apple-carplay-2016-1

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Does AM do walking directions now? Google maps even does cycling directions!

It did walking directions for a while, at least since iOS 10. Still does not do cycling directions though.
[doublepost=1534695161][/doublepost]
Now that I’m back home and driving with Maps, I really miss the detail in Northern CA. Maps is so white and empty...

At least you can hope to get it populated with the same level of detail everywhere in the States within the next year. If they keep it rolling world-wide at the same pace as they do now, though, Europe will be waiting for a looooooooooong time.

They definitely changed their routing system, though. More frequent direction hints, but occasional hiccups sending me in loups instead of a straight line. I am happy it’s being developed, but it is not ready to adequately replace Google Maps or Waze in Europe as yet. I still hope they can pull some magic trick with it once iOS 12 is released to the general public in the autumn.

Last edited:

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Now that I’m back home and driving with Maps, I really miss the detail in Northern CA. Maps is so white and empty...
I've followed your recent posts, bummed that I haven't made it to the Bay Area yet - my company's underwriter put the kibosh on my plans until the air quality improves at some of the sites I'd planned to visit (we're not certified for work in hazardous atmospheric conditions without a respirator, and I'm the only one that's NIOSH certified for what we need to do and I'm not about to go with a full face respirator set up @ 100 degrees as I'm the boss... ugh). Most of my work in the PNW has been curtailed as well - admittedly a niggling gripe given the losses others have incurred - and I had to postpone some of my trips yet again.

On a related matter I've noticed differences in travel times and distances when using the two devices I alluded to earlier in this thread - 4 or 5 minutes here, 100 miles with iOS 11 vs 98 miles with iOS 12 - I'm wondering if Apple's changing routing APIs from TomTom to another routing company (read: NAVTEQ). That bit written, I've a prognostication/rumor to offer...

A mapping company that went "public" with their services around the time that Apple went public with iOS 12 Betas, uses NAVTEQ APIs alongside their own proprietary data (which includes promises far-more-accurate to-the-door directions that I can see only with inclusion of L5 geolocation), and is uploading plenty of examples on GitHub (iOS/Android/Swift) is Mapfit. I would not be surprised if Apple or HERE or MS or Google buy Mapfit and/or their team by the end of this year... Mapfit (I have no financial interest in them or any of their funders) is already partnering with Verizon for navigation services and I'll be following that relationship. Seeing that Mapfit went "public" within days of Apple's own announcement of more-accurate directions is, to me, not really coincidental in this business...

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Too bad you couldn’t make it. The air quality was WAY better in SF than Seattle or Portland.

I wish I had two devices now to try out side by side while I was there...was really counting on you..:

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
No worries, it's still in my plan to head to the Bay area soon. Most, rather pretty much all, of the persons that can certify for the protection my employees require are already fighting fires in the field. One of the locations near a site visit was hovering around 450 yesterday (near Oro Fino, courtesy of PurpleAir) - 8 hours of that really can make someone sick. Gotta drive too, regardless.

Having to pay my employees to drive down with me, sit in the vehicle, and watch me work in 100+ degree heat while wearing a Tyvek suit and respirator - while I'm paying their salaries! - isn't what I call a productive trip!

There's a window for my travel week after next, missing decent restaurants - I'm around Portland this week, there isn't a single eatery in Portland that would last 3 months in SF or NYC, maybe 6 months in Seattle. I had reservations at Bellota, Barvale, and Delfina all set up and was looking forward to some serious dim sum to fill in my tummy and meeting schedule. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.