Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morro Bay

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Northern California
I have the Piel Frama case. Here is a review I made that was posted in another forum:

Received my Black Piel Frama cover on May 19th from cases.com. It is the one with the magnetic catch that was back-ordered.

It arrives in a beautiful box

dc7500e7.jpg

Open the cover and it is wrapped in their logo

d96e0b39.jpg

The cover, sitting on top of the box

56f4dbcb.jpg

A close-up of the stitching

acdccb8b.jpg

The inside with the Piel Frama logo embossed within the leather

cde223ba.jpg

Picture of the cover opened up

6d3ffd3d.jpg

The iPad slides into the cover

f4d32be5.jpg

iPad now completely fitted within the cover

08719f76.jpg

Final Fit close-up

b1c2fad6.jpg

Close-up of the hole in the cover for the light sensor

b5b46058.jpg

Bottom cut-outs for the speakers and 32 pin connector

87aae50c.jpg

Side cut-out for the speaker volume adjust and orientation lock

2e725b4f.jpg

Side of case, closed up

aadbbdd8.jpg

Side of case opened up in typing position

0924cd6f.jpg

Same view without the ruler

8d2ea780.jpg

Case standing in landscape mode

75eab1f4.jpg

Final Impressions: The Piel Frama case is very nicely built. Both the front and back covers are nicely padded and easy to hold on to. Luxurious comes to mind. I tried the 3-shake test with the cover open to see if the iPad would fall out and it didn't budge. Leather, with constant use, will stretch a bit and I think this type of cover would not be good for someone who constantly takes their iPad in and out a lot.

Typing: In typing position, the cover is not good. The angle is slight and pushing down on the cover in this position causes the whole thing to sink down further. The distance from table to the top of the iPad with the Piel Frama is about 1 1/4 inches tall as can be seen in the picture. With the Apple case the distance from table to top of the cover is 1 7/8 inches tall. The Apple cover is definitely better for typing on.

Viewing in landscape mode is not a problem. Just like the Apple cover it will slip on slick surfaces but you can do adjustments.

Weight of the empty cover is 10.3 ounces based on my digital scale.

All the Best!!

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I'm a bit worried. I ordered that vaja mamut late last night and while I did receive an email showing the order, they've not yet charged my card. Now I find out they're sold out...

I really want that case!

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
I fancy the box over the case.

I have the Piel Frama case. Here is a review I made that was posted in another forum:

Received my Black Piel Frama cover on May 19th from cases.com. It is the one with the magnetic catch that was back-ordered.

It arrives in a beautiful box

dc7500e7.jpg

Open the cover and it is wrapped in their logo

d96e0b39.jpg

The cover, sitting on top of the box

56f4dbcb.jpg

A close-up of the stitching

acdccb8b.jpg

The inside with the Piel Frama logo embossed within the leather

cde223ba.jpg

Picture of the cover opened up

6d3ffd3d.jpg

The iPad slides into the cover

f4d32be5.jpg

iPad now completely fitted within the cover

08719f76.jpg

Final Fit close-up

b1c2fad6.jpg

Close-up of the hole in the cover for the light sensor

b5b46058.jpg

Bottom cut-outs for the speakers and 32 pin connector

87aae50c.jpg

Side cut-out for the speaker volume adjust and orientation lock

2e725b4f.jpg

Side of case, closed up

aadbbdd8.jpg

Side of case opened up in typing position

0924cd6f.jpg

Same view without the ruler

8d2ea780.jpg

Case standing in landscape mode

75eab1f4.jpg

Final Impressions: The Piel Frama case is very nicely built. Both the front and back covers are nicely padded and easy to hold on to. Luxurious comes to mind. I tried the 3-shake test with the cover open to see if the iPad would fall out and it didn't budge. Leather, with constant use, will stretch a bit and I think this type of cover would not be good for someone who constantly takes their iPad in and out a lot.

Typing: In typing position, the cover is not good. The angle is slight and pushing down on the cover in this position causes the whole thing to sink down further. The distance from table to the top of the iPad with the Piel Frama is about 1 1/4 inches tall as can be seen in the picture. With the Apple case the distance from table to top of the cover is 1 7/8 inches tall. The Apple cover is definitely better for typing on.

Viewing in landscape mode is not a problem. Just like the Apple cover it will slip on slick surfaces but you can do adjustments.

Best Wishes!

Dr. Bombay

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
I'm a bit worried. I ordered that vaja mamut late last night and while I did receive an email showing the order, they've not yet charged my card. Now I find out they're sold out...

I really want that case!

I was informed by Vaja that they were having orders with their processing system and orders were being delayed by a day or so. I placed an order for the Black/Green Limited Edition yesterday morning and was charged a few hours ago. Expect them to process and charge your hours in about 24 hours after placing the order.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I was informed by Vaja that they were having orders with their processing system and orders were being delayed by a day or so. I placed an order for the Black/Green Limited Edition yesterday morning and was charged a few hours ago. Expect them to process and charge your hours in about 24 hours after placing the order.

Thanks, Doc.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Once you open either case they look awful on the inside.

Piel's exterriors are nice.
Orbino is just, well....yuk

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay

Best Wishes!

Why would you post this in a Vaja thread ? :rolleyes:

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
One thing that you will find when you get a better quality leather cover is that is doesn't need as much protection as a cheaper one.

I spent the money to purchase a Piel Frama cover for my iPad. I got the lighter covered one and was a bit worried about it collecting dirt. I showed it to a friend of mine who does leather work for a hobby and after being impressed by the quality of the workmanship and the leather, told me not to worry as much about it getting dirty or easily picking up stains etc. He said that the better quality leather used in such items has a tougher skin on it and does a fine job repelling dirt and stains and even to a degree scratches.

I've had it now for about a week and a half and there is not a mark on it although it has gotten some rain drops on it. When you deal with a reputable firm that knows what it is doing then you really get what you pay for.

TNSF

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2010
Money grow on trees in your neighborhood?!

Seriously though, $200 form a case is outrageous!!!

My custom vaja ivolution Top SP arrived today (black with birch stripe) and I don't know how to describe it other than stunning. Its flawless and so luxurious.

People who won't settle for anything less than the best will enjoy their vaja cases regardless of the price.

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay
My custom vaja ivolution Top SP arrived today (black with birch stripe) and I don't know how to describe it other than stunning. Its flawless and so luxurious.

People who won't settle for anything less than the best will enjoy their vaja cases regardless of the price.

Pictures please ....... ;)

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
What an intelligent answer.

Stupid questions get stupid answers dude.

LOL @ all the people trying to lecture this guy on how much money he spends on his case.

If the cost isn't a problem and you like it then why not? If you enjoy your ipad and have the cash, there is no problem buying a luxury item for something you enjoy.

Jealousy brings out the worst in people.

Dr. Bombay

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada

Found that although Vaja will charge you within 24 hours of placing the order, shipping an item that has "Immediate Shipping" will still take between 7-8 days. I was informed today that Vaja will be shipping my order in the next 48 hours even though I had placed the order six days ago.

Has their customer service become so poor now?

Mitchll

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
Found that although Vaja will charge you within 24 hours of placing the order, shipping an item that has "Immediate Shipping" will still take between 7-8 days. I was informed today that Vaja will be shipping my order in the next 48 hours even though I had placed the order six days ago.

I guess they are used to their 30+ day window for orders!
I am awaiting my "immediate shipping" on the same time frame.

El Aurens

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2010
London, Ontario, Canada

Same here, Maria in customer service has told me that my Mamut coloured case should ship in the next 48 hours too. Still no charge on my credit card yet.

Westin

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I cant find to be able to add the leather agenda to my cart? Where is it under products?

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Question.....

I just checked the Vaja site, it is showing the 'Agenda' selling for $230 USD.....

Did that price increase or was that what it was selling for last week?

El Aurens

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2010
London, Ontario, Canada
Just received a Fedex e-mail saying that the case has been shipped (as of May 27th) and should be delivered to my home in Canada by 5pm on May 31st. Good timing as my iPad is to be delivered tomorrow (sitting in Fedex depot Mississauga). Come to Poppa!

Vaja1.jpg

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
Nice - be sure to post your review and pics.

Just received a Fedex e-mail saying that the case has been shipped (as of May 27th) and should be delivered to my home in Canada by 5pm on May 31st. Good timing as my iPad is to be delivered tomorrow (sitting in Fedex depot Mississauga). Come to Poppa!

Vaja1.jpg

Dr. Bombay

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada

Yup - got a similar email from FedEx. I would've like them to have it shipped it earlier so I could get it by tomorrow (along with the iPad) since I am traveling tomorrow night!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.