Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Yup - got a similar email from FedEx. I would've like them to have it shipped it earlier so I could get it by tomorrow (along with the iPad) since I am traveling tomorrow night!

Mine shipped too but with an estimated delivery of Jun 2nd. I am in Wisconsin but no real rush.

I also picked up a Black Piel Frama agenda-style case should have it tomorrow. Before someone asks why I would want or need two cases I plan on using one and giving the other to my sister. I won't know which I prefer until I try them.

I am still curious about the Vaja Agenda case, the $30 increase not withstanding. Has anyone ordered one OR better yet received one????.

Joe

Bitgod

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2003
Yup, the agenda used to be $200. I see the top is the same price. Well, this will make it less likely I'll get one. The price isn't a huge jump, but it just gives me a reason not to get one.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
If I knew the 2nd generation iPad would be the same form factor, I would probably buy this case. But I can't convince myself to buy it if it will just be a one and done product. I have a tendency to buy the latest and greatest so when the next iPad comes out next year, I don't want my $200 case to be obsolete. I could always sell the iPad for good value. A case? Not so much.

I fell in love with a $209 case, but just can't justify buying if I can't use it for version 2. For me, it is just not economical to spend that much money on a case that I will use for less than a year.

Jude

Dr. Bombay

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
Well, it finally arrived today about four days after it shipped and twelve days after I placed the order.

The good news: The exterior of the case is really nice - the design is well thought out, the leather is really good and the case is well padded.

The bad: The interior of the case seems not to be as good as the exterior as the green leather seems not to align properly with the exterior of the case. i.e. With the case closed, one can see a hint of green peeking out near the volume buttons and near the bottom corners. One other minor point is that the top cover seems to move from side to side a little easier that I would expect it to, but I guess that's the price one pays for it to be removable.

The ugly: Vaja's customer service and their "Immediate Shipping" policy. Need I say more? :mad:

Overall, the case (and the iPad) feel right in your hands and I've stopped worrying about the iPad slipping. I like the fact that the top cover fits under the bottom cover when using the iPad, so I don't have to worry about misplacing it. Fit and finish of the exterior is excellent and it looks really good. Is it worth the $150? Tough question, but I'd say it'd be a good value for $100.

Some pics:

Attachments

• vaja1.jpg
    vaja1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 97
  • vaja2.jpg
    vaja2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 131
  • vaja3.jpg
    vaja3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 102
  • vaja4.jpg
    vaja4.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 106
  • vaja5.jpg
    vaja5.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 106

ChocolateApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
New York
Just a reminder, there are LOTS of folks who think we are all daft for spending money on an iPad to begin with. You can argue with them about form and function but in the end they will likely still think it a foolish purchase. We don't, just a difference of opinion. There is an old saying, "If you can't understand it, then I can't explain it to you."

Exactly!!

I saw a YouTube video of a guy who made an iPad case out of a bubble wrap package. I mean, he spent I don't know, at least $500 on an iPad, but is protecting it with a $2 (guessing here) package to save money?

There's excess, and there's the opposite, but if it's not my money, it's none of my business to say what someone should spend their money on, nor to judge them because "I" would or wouldn't do the same.

In this case, I'm with you because I ordered a Vaja also, and am using one for my current iPhone. I am always able to re-sell my electronics at a great rate due to the condition they are in later -- like new.

ChocolateApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
New York
I do not care for the Vaja two-piece cases, but in regards to the Leather Agenda, who would you consider as Vaja's competition right now?

BTW, those NM cases are butt ugly with all of those rivets on them. An snap enclosures on the inside. FAIL!!!

I'd consider Orbino competition to Vaja at first glance. However, as a 1st-time Orbino buyer, I am highly dissatisfied with their poor/infrequent communication. I've found Vaja to be much more responsive. Even recently when they were not responding, you received an out-of-office type of email. Orbino just ignores customers for the most part.

I can compare quality later because I've ordered iPad cases from both.

Morro Bay

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Northern California
Well, it finally arrived today about four days after it shipped and twelve days after I placed the order.

The good news: The exterior of the case is really nice - the design is well thought out, the leather is really good and the case is well padded.

The bad: The interior of the case seems not to be as good as the exterior as the green leather seems not to align properly with the exterior of the case. i.e. With the case closed, one can see a hint of green peeking out near the volume buttons and near the bottom corners. One other minor point is that the top cover seems to move from side to side a little easier that I would expect it to, but I guess that's the price one pays for it to be removable.

The ugly: Vaja's customer service and their "Immediate Shipping" policy. Need I say more? :mad:

Overall, the case (and the iPad) feel right in your hands and I've stopped worrying about the iPad slipping. I like the fact that the top cover fits under the bottom cover when using the iPad, so I don't have to worry about misplacing it. Fit and finish of the exterior is excellent and it looks really good. Is it worth the $150? Tough question, but I'd say it'd be a good value for $100.

Some pics:

Thanks for sharing the pics and review on your Vaja case Dr. Bombay. It's the personal observations and concerns about a case that are helpful for the rest of us who don't have that particular one.

All the Best!

El Aurens

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2010
London, Ontario, Canada
Mamut Limited Edition

Just received my Mamut limited edition case today, very pleased with it. Tight fit squeezing it into the base, but it definitely won't fall out. I received my Apple case yesterday which I feel is a very practical design, however the look and feel of the Vaja is wonderful.

DSC05214001.jpg

DSC05218005.jpg

DSC05217004.jpg

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
The Black/Green and Mamut look nice -

Q for folks who are using this case -- Do you find that you snap the front cover onto the back when using the Ipad -- or does it bulk it up too much and you find that you just set it aside?

Now all we have to do is get someone who has this case also get the Vaja Leather Agenda -- I'm considering it but would like to hear some usability info from folks who have used both.

Dr. Bombay

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
The Black/Green and Mamut look nice -

Q for folks who are using this case -- Do you find that you snap the front cover onto the back when using the Ipad -- or does it bulk it up too much and you find that you just set it aside?

Now all we have to do is get someone who has this case also get the Vaja Leather Agenda -- I'm considering it but would like to hear some usability info from folks who have used both.

It is my first day with the case, but I find myself using it snapped on to the back. I don't think it makes it too bulky, but my hands are on the large side. Someone with smaller hands might have a different opinion. BTW, the edges of the front cover are slightly tapered (i.e. it seems to be more padded in the center of the front cover), so holding the iPad towards the edges is less bulky than holding it in the middle.

Anathallo

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2010
It is my first day with the case, but I find myself using it snapped on to the back. I don't think it makes it too bulky, but my hands are on the large side. Someone with smaller hands might have a different opinion. BTW, the edges of the front cover are slightly tapered (i.e. it seems to be more padded in the center of the front cover), so holding the iPad towards the edges is less bulky than holding it in the middle.

I just received my Mamut case today and I would agree with it being pretty good to the grip. To date I still think the Belkin Grip Vue had the best hold, but there were too many things about it I didn't like so I ended up with Vaja. The grip of the leather feels nice. Mine has a minor cosmetic oddity in the corner of the back case but it's nothing to cry about. I bought this case to look good and to be used, so I expect minor cosmetic things to happen regardless.

If anything, it makes me less wary of using it. I was unsure of if I wanted it to be a full time case, but I think that'll end up being.. the case.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Just received my Mamut limited edition case today, very pleased with it. Tight fit squeezing it into the base, but it definitely won't fall out. I received my Apple case yesterday which I feel is a very practical design, however the look and feel of the Vaja is wonderful.

Hi,

Just too received my Vaja Mamut case case today. It is beautiful! It adds less thickness than I expected. Also like the fact that the interior is the same leather as the exterior. Mine arrived SMELLING of adhesive.

I did notice that when the case is fully closed it is not that difficult to displace the cover to the left or the right by sliding it. This is a relatively minor issue. The second thing I noticed is that Vaja shipped the in its presentation box using only a bubble wrap FedEx envelope. The case arrived safely but he box had slightly squished edges and signs of compression. This is way too expensive a case to package so poorly for international shipping.

Well I love the case but I also love my black Piels Frama (PF) agenda style case. I will say this, the regular black PF case is likely to attract allot less attention than the Vaja. I would likely use the PF for travel and the Vaja for local use.....not sure yet.

Joe

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Just too received my Vaja Mamut case case today. It is beautiful! It adds less thickness than I expected. Also like the fact that the interior is the same leather as the exterior. Mine arrived SMELLING of adhesive.

I did notice that when the case is fully closed it is not that difficult to displace the cover to the left or the right by sliding it. This is a relatively minor issue.

Hi,

Here are some images:

Of my Vaja Mamut iVolution Case:

Vaja01.jpg

Vaja02.jpg

Vaja03.jpg

and my Piel Frama case:

PF1.jpg

PF2.jpg

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
So, let's see: quality control problems, inaccurate shipping times, essentially no warranty, poor packing, horrible customer service - tell me again why this their cases are worth the premium they charge? The problems described here might be acceptable for a cheap eBay knockoff but not for a supposed high-end case.

Don't get me wrong - I get that they make some pretty good looking cases and I have no problem paying for quality and style but at the price they are asking they need to back up their product with a solid warranty and top-notch customer service before I would ever consider being a customer. It seems like they are the "only game in town" in the high-end case market - for now and maybe that (partially) explains how they are getting away with it.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
Hi,
Pictures of my Vaja Mamut iVolution Case:

and my Piel Frama case:

At first I was a bit ticked off that Vaja canceled my Mamut because of 'credit card issues', but honestly, seeing theses two sets of photos of the case I'm not feeling bad anymore. It's nice looking, but not as nice as I expected and the quality appears just ok. Maybe holding it in person would change my opinion.
The Orbino leather appears to be of much better quality.

One thing Orbino and Vaja have in common...terrible customer service. I don't think I could deal with either ever again until they get their s**t together.

Now that Piel Frama case. That I like.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
At first I was a bit ticked off that Vaja canceled my Mamut because of 'credit card issues', but honestly, seeing theses two sets of photos of the case I'm not feeling bad anymore. It's nice looking, but not as nice as I expected and the quality appears just ok. Maybe holding it in person would change my opinion.
The Orbino leather appears to be of much better quality.

One thing Orbino and Vaja have in common...terrible customer service. I don't think I could deal with either ever again until they get their s**t together.

Now that Piel Frama case. That I like.

Hi,

The best 'bang for the buck' in my opinion is the Piel Frama case but it does represent a common style case design. Consider that it cost $99 thru Amazon.com versus the $209 for the Orbino or $200 for the Vaja Mamut iVolution. It is safe to say that the Orbino is made from thicker leather. Thicker does not always mean better quality leather; however, it appears to be true in the Orbino case. I am still not sold on Orbino's exposed thread design. Biggles, did you see that one Orbino Croc case? Man, that was crazy gorgeous! I'd love to buy one regardless of the ridiculous price BUT I am not dealing with those guys again....at least not now.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Thanks for the photos!

I am looking through cases while I patiently (yeah, right) wait for my iPad. . . While there are lots of great options, my preference is to hold the iPad in a frame that leaves the glass surface exposed. I just like the look . . .

I also want a cover over the glass so I can add it to my briefcase with less chance of damage.

So I have been looking at the Vaja Agenda, Dodocase, and the Noreve. the SGP looks super except that the cover has a kind of clip on the right side which seems to preclude folding it underneath during use. I managed to order a Vaja Agenda before the price increase, so sometime next month should have one to play with. If I do not like it the Noreve looks very tempting too.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
I noticed the Mamut popped up as "ready for immediate shipping" on Monday so I ordered one. I have to say I was a bit worried after reading about service issues on here but it was shipped via DHL within 24 hours and is on its was to Australia. :D

Hope I like it.

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
Who would have thunk that iPad owners would be crazy about crock.

The black Piel above is the first non lady Piel I have seen posted - looks nice and at 100 somewhat of a deal.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Who would have thunk that iPad owners would be crazy about crock.

The black Piel above is the first non lady Piel I have seen posted - looks nice and at 100 somewhat of a deal.

I agree, it is a great case. While I like the Vaja iVolution in Mamut style leather I think I prefer the Piel Frama case. The Vaja is definitely a 'head turner'! And regardless of some comments to the contrary a very well made top quality case.

I may decide to get rid of my Vaja (see images in one of my previous posts). If anyone is interested send me an email at

iampeth_penman@ yahoo.com (remove the space between @ and yahoo)

Not 100% I want to get rid of it.

Joe

iserian

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Palo Alto Apple Store
Was not able to find the Piel on amazon for less than 139 - do you have the link for 100 ?

I agree, it is a great case. While I like the Vaja iVolution in Mamut style leather I think I prefer the Piel Frama case. The Vaja is definitely a 'head turner'! And regardless of some comments to the contrary a very well made top quality case.

I may decide to get rid of my Vaja (see images in one of my previous posts). If anyone is interested send me an email at

iampeth_penman@ yahoo.com (remove the space between @ and yahoo)

Not 100% I want to get rid of it.

Joe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.