Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
9f69fe947532dcd2b5910ce3add8562e.jpg

Just bought it. Pat at his best. Recommendation big time. :)

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
How many of you are still buying vinyl? I must admit it has been about five years ago it could be more as time goes so fast the older you get. I like buying stuff cheap and buying in bulk 20 albums for 10p each all in good condition. The Record and Tape exchange every two weeks they reduced them I think they only go down to a pound now. the cd,s go down to fifty pence and you can get good stuff like Santana and other well known stuff
[automerge]1592062915[/automerge]
9f69fe947532dcd2b5910ce3add8562e.jpg

Just bought it. Pat at his best. Recommendation big time. :)
Years ago I got Pat Metheny ‎– Trio → Live
double cd for a pound I never played it, like a lot of stuff I bought. I don,t know why I got it because I am not into jazz I like Jazz-rock though.

Last edited:

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I still buy vinyl. I don't want our record collection to overrun our available storage, so we are pretty selective about what comes in, sticking with real essentials / classics / records that have sentimental value to us.

I miss going to used record stores and scouring the bins for hidden gems, but I don't have the free time anymore, and the Internet has mostly ruined the thrill of the chase. I have made a few really good scores on Discogs, eBay, and Facebook Marketplace over the past few years, but it's not quite the same.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Picked this up today at the Walmart. Went there for one thing business related and saw they had records there and I was shocked. So I looked through what they had and though it was a very limited selection, they had some good stuff.

IMG_20200616_103652.jpg

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Picked this up today at the Walmart. Went there for one thing business related and saw they had records there and I was shocked. So I looked through what they had and though it was a very limited selection, they had some good stuff.

View attachment 924593

Wait, Wal-Mart has records!!! Who would have thunk! Of course i haven't been in a Wal-Mart for quite some time.

I dig the cover to this!!!!
[automerge]1592400923[/automerge]
BTW, did any of you vinyl folks notice any kind of availability issues due to the fire mentioned in post #177?

I have not... But most of the time, I am ordering stuff from online stores, which usually has stuff in stock at the time of order. I wonder if this will hit more items that are "coming" out... or if they pressed a specific sector of the music industry.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
I have a Linn/Naim system and have not heard a CD sound as good as vinyl. D toA conversion has come a long way since the 80s and CDs are close to vinyl now. On my to do list is to transfer my vinyl to digital so I can take it with me when on the move.
By the way, sound is analog, but hearing is digital. Sounds are converted to electrical nerve impulses by tiny Hairs in the inner ear.

jwip

Suspended
Jun 17, 2020
I found a bunch of old 70/80s vinyl from my parents. One is close encounters of the third kind with the little mini record. Now I need to dig out my old turntable.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Everyone else out buying new M1 Macs and I’m like my Intel Mac can run for another year or two so I can get a new turntable.? I am into automatic tables and not a lot of choice in the mid to higher market these days, but when I saw this new model from Thorens (TD 103 A) I had to have it. Built by Ferenbacher-Dual in Germany. It is somewhat similar to the Dual CS 460 I had but lots of updates all over the table. It replaced a model that was about 20 years old in the line-up so I decided to order one. The Thorens absorber base was included in the purchase price. I won’t even discuss price. ? Anyhow sounds amazing and works like a fine clock. Available in walnut or piano black. I went with the walnut and am glad I did. The finish of the wood is gorgeous.
43F9D642-B449-454F-9AEF-62C3D1C9B950.jpeg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Everyone else out buying new M1 Macs and I’m like my Intel Mac can run for another year or two so I can get a new turntable.? I am into automatic tables and not a lot of choice in the mid to higher market these days, but when I saw this new model from Thorens (TD 103 A) I had to have it. Built by Ferenbacher-Dual in Germany. It is somewhat similar to the Dual CS 460 I had but lots of updates all over the table. It replaced a model that was about 20 years old in the line-up so I decided to order one. The Thorens absorber base was included in the purchase price. I won’t even discuss price. ? Anyhow sounds amazing and works like a fine clock. Available in walnut or piano black. I went with the walnut and am glad I did. The finish of the wood is gorgeous. View attachment 1681480

That walnut wood finish is absolutely gorgeous.

Love your turntable; it is beautiful, and I have no doubt that it sounds absolutely amazing.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
That walnut wood finish is absolutely gorgeous.

Love your turntable; it is beautiful, and I have no doubt that it sounds absolutely amazing.
Thank you! Yes I’m actually enjoying some favorite Christmas albums on it tonight as I decorate the tree. There is something so satisfying with spinning a vinyl record that you just don’t get with clicking play on a streaming device. Once I get that Ortofon 2M Blue broke in it’ll only sound better. If you let the vinyl bug bite you you’ll get sucked in. Not saying I don’t appreciate my MP3 collection or streaming, but when I really want to focus on the music and fully enjoy it nothing beats a vinyl record.

Reactions: Uofmtiger

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Looks great! I'm interested in buying a newly-manufactured turntable as well (at this point, I've only had vintage). So many of the more affordable new turntables are built by the same factory in China, so it's nice to see a German-made model, even if it is a little on the pricy side.

Can the headshell be removed?

Last edited:

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Everyone else out buying new M1 Macs and I’m like my Intel Mac can run for another year or two so I can get a new turntable.? I am into automatic tables and not a lot of choice in the mid to higher market these days, but when I saw this new model from Thorens (TD 103 A) I had to have it. Built by Ferenbacher-Dual in Germany. It is somewhat similar to the Dual CS 460 I had but lots of updates all over the table. It replaced a model that was about 20 years old in the line-up so I decided to order one. The Thorens absorber base was included in the purchase price. I won’t even discuss price. ? Anyhow sounds amazing and works like a fine clock. Available in walnut or piano black. I went with the walnut and am glad I did. The finish of the wood is gorgeous. View attachment 1681480
Great looking Turntable!

I happened to get a new TT this last week, too. It’s a Marantz with an acrylic platter, so of course, I put an LED under it while I played it in a mostly dark room. Will try to get some pics later of how it really looks, since this pic was for my own amusement. Lol. I also bought a Cambridge photo amp to go with it. ( still contemplating trading in my 2018 mini for an m1 mini, though)

Attachments

• 7F3C24B9-2DC0-4F64-988A-35E1D86F11DD.jpeg
    7F3C24B9-2DC0-4F64-988A-35E1D86F11DD.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Love
Reactions: D.T. and DakotaGuy

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Great looking Turntable!

I happened to get a new TT this last week, too. It’s a Marantz with an acrylic platter, so of course, I put an LED under it while I played it in a mostly dark room. Will try to get some pics later of how it really looks, since this pic was for my own amusement. Lol. I also bought a Cambridge photo amp to go with it. ( still contemplating trading in my 2018 mini for an m1 mini, though)
Very cool! You went for the modern look and I went for the vintage design. I like how mid to high end turntables focus on design like cool acrylic platters or real wood plinths. Definitely don't see this kind of artwork put into most modern consumer electronics.

Reactions: Uofmtiger
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.