Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Just received in the mail the Daft Punk double vinyl album.

IMG_20191217_155512.jpg

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I was really pleased with that Daft Punk album. Immaculately recorded, engineered, and mastered — sounds so good on vinyl. The sound took me back to visiting Hi-Fi stores with my father when I was young.

I remember my parents' system pretty well. Classic Marantz amp, preamp, and tuner; Acoustic Research speakers; a Teac top-loading cassette deck. I have no recollection of the turntable we had, unfortunately. My mom says we had a Dual, which is a bit coincidental since I've had a vintage Dual 721 myself for the past almost 20 years.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I was really pleased with that Daft Punk album. Immaculately recorded, engineered, and mastered — sounds so good on vinyl. The sound took me back to visiting Hi-Fi stores with my father when I was young.

I remember my parents' system pretty well. Classic Marantz amp, preamp, and tuner; Acoustic Research speakers; a Teac top-loading cassette deck. I have no recollection of the turntable we had, unfortunately. My mom says we had a Dual, which is a bit coincidental since I've had a vintage Dual 721 myself for the past almost 20 years.
Dual decks were classic back in the day. :) i never had one myself though.https://youtu.be/H-cnkI4Jm1M?t=16 . I don, know the one you have got though.
[automerge]1576693738[/automerge]

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
IMG_0068.jpeg

My current headphone-only setup. I have yet to find a new turntable I'm willing to spend $1000+ on, so for now, it's vintage or nothing (I also have a Pioneer PL-950 that I bought off eBay in surprisingly good condition). This JVC had only one issue, a wonky speed switch, but some Deoxit took care of that.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
View attachment 883968

My current headphone-only setup. I have yet to find a new turntable I'm willing to spend $1000+ on, so for now, it's vintage or nothing (I also have a Pioneer PL-950 that I bought off eBay in surprisingly good condition). This JVC had only one issue, a wonky speed switch, but some Deoxit took care of that.
My choice would be this one
if you are into a direct drive one.
Classic stuff that's what I think anyway. :) I think this one costs around 800 pounds in the Uk.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
If I may recommend. This one was my best piece I have ever owned, Technics SL-M1. Sadly, when CD came , I have sold itsome 30 years ago. Today I know it was such a stupid move.
Excellent direct drive turntable and a great piece of art :)
lSzazLz.jpg

[automerge]1576864250[/automerge]
Same to you and everyone else on here. :) What's your equipment, I don,t recognise any of it?

Project Xperience turntable with Clear Audio Maestro V2 MM cartridge
Leben EQ30 RIA
Audio Analogue Bellini and Donizetti preamp and amp
Hegel CDP2
Acoustic Zen Adagio Speakers
Shunyata Research Hydra 8 Power conditioner
and some nice Acoustic Zen and Cristal Cable cables connecting everything.

Setup for life :)

Last edited:

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
About two years ago I found a restored Technics SL-23 for sale on Craigslist in my local area. A guy in his garage completely recapped, lubricated, and serviced the innards of it. My favorite turn table to date, although lately I have been longing for a full automatic direct drive Technics of the same or newer vintage. My favorite thing about it is the color!

IMG_0263.JPG

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
My choice would be this one
if you are into a direct drive one.
Classic stuff that's what I think anyway. :) I think this one costs around 800 pounds in the Uk.

A new direct drive turntable interests me, especially considering that the majority of new tables are belt drive (belt drives tend to have noisier motors). The other issue is that most new boutique tables do not have removable headshells and I'd like a removable headshell since I have a cartridge collection and like to swap them out. I've had a vintage Technics before and liked it, so I'll definitely consider the new one. :)

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
If I may recommend. This one was my best piece I have ever owned, Technics SL-M1. Sadly, when CD came , I have sold itsome 30 years ago. Today I know it was such a stupid move.
Excellent direct drive turntable and a great piece of art :)
lSzazLz.jpg

[automerge]1576864250[/automerge]

Project Xperience turntable with Clear Audio Maestro V2 MM cartridge
Leben EQ30 RIA
Audio Analogue Bellini and Donizetti preamp and amp
Hegel CDP2
Acoustic Zen Adagio Speakers
Shunyata Research Hydra 8 Power conditioner
and some nice Acoustic Zen and Cristal Cable cables connecting everything.

Setup for life :)

I know what you mean when I gave away my old setup including the static gun, thought I was cool getting the latest kit. Not so much now.
In an unrelated matter, my sister has a friend who supposedly owns 500,000 albums and singles, she has
not counted them. According to her, he may be willing to part with some of the collection when she informed him I still had my Akai GX-400D in good condition. A trade may be in the works.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What are some recommended accessories to have for turntables and records?

I have a record cleaner that works pretty well. Is there anything else I should have handy?

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
What are some recommended accessories to have for turntables and records?

I have a record cleaner that works pretty well. Is there anything else I should have handy?

You could also get a stylus cleaner (in my case it consists of a small brush and a bottle of cleaning fluid). Dust and debris does build up on the stylus after a while and it can negatively affect sound. Also good to have an alignment protractor and a tracking force gauge to use when setting up a cartridge.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You could also get a stylus cleaner (in my case it consists of a small brush and a bottle of cleaning fluid). Dust and debris does build up on the stylus after a while and it can negatively affect sound. Also good to have an alignment protractor and a tracking force gauge to use when setting up a cartridge.
I picked up a stylus brush, cleaner and record felt brush and cleaner from Amazon. I cleaned the stylus as directed and I took a brand new record that I ordered the other day and cleaned it with the felt brush and was surprised at how much stuff it took off of it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Scored some new records today at a place I just found not too terribly far from my home.

View attachment 885102

Sigh.

Nothing in modern music compares with LP album sleeves for sheer aesthetic pleasure.

Some of those sleeves were stunning works of art in their own right.

Lovely selection.

I picked up a stylus brush, cleaner and record felt brush and cleaner from Amazon. I cleaned the stylus as directed and I took a brand new record that I ordered the other day and cleaned it with the felt brush and was surprised at how much stuff it took off of it.

Actually, that brings back memories. I remember my father taking us out and buying a record felt brush and a stylus cleaner (from a record store) when we were kids and instructing us how to use them.

At the same time, he had also researched the purchase of a new stereo system, (researching brands, specifications, price), one which he insisted we all make a small contribution from our weekly pocket money towards, as we would be using it most, and he wished to inculcate a sense of ownership, respect and responsibility in us for this piece of equipment.

I loved the tactile experience - the sheer physicality - of playing records.

PVDHell

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2018
PVD
I like the novelty of vinyl; and have a collection of vintage 70’s punk rock records and modern independent label punk rock 45’s. But in general, it’s not even close to the main way I listen to music.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What about modern music pressed into vinyl? Do they still hold any aesthetic pleasure for you?

Depends on the music.

However, the combination of music, art work on the sleeve, and the pure physical tactile pleasures it offers - holding it, lifting it to check for dust, blowing on it, using the felt brush, that slight 'thunk' sound as the LP drops lightly onto the turntable........is incomparable.

Even CDs (and I like that form, as well) pale into insignificance when contrasted with (or compared to) LPs.

And, as for music on mp3 players - well, yes, of course I love the convenience and portability (and far preferred the tactile experience of the click wheel on the iPod classics, to the more modern touch screens; indeed, I have only recently come to realise that I loathe touch screen technology, I like dials, and knobs, and buttons, and keyboards, and switches), but - physically, treating music as an occasion, inviting friends you liked to see (and listen to) - and hopefully admire - your music collection - and no, this is not a euphemism on the line of "would you like to come up and see my etchings", this was how we did things, as students.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Depends on the music.

However, the combination of music, art work on the sleeve, and the pure physical tactile pleasures it offers - holding it, lifting it to check for dust, blowing on it, using the felt brush, that slight 'thunk' sound as the LP drops lightly onto the turntable........is incomparable.

Even CDs (and I like that form, as well) pale into insignificance when contrasted with (or compared to) LPs.

And, as for music on mp3 players - well, yes, of course I love the convenience and portability (and far preferred the tactile experience of the click wheel on the iPod classics, to the more modern touch screens; indeed, I have only recently come to realise that I loathe touch screen technology, I like dials, and knobs, and buttons, and keyboards, and switches), but - physically, treating music as an occasion, inviting friends you liked to see (and listen to) - and hopefully admire - your music collection - and no, this is not a euphemism on the line of "would you like to come up and see my etchings", this was how we did things, as students.
Curious, do you still play records on a regular basis?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.