Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stormyuklondon1

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006
Nice...I love MOFI stuff but sometimes a little too expensive for me to justify. I'm tempted by their recent offering of Yes's "Fragile" but, at $125 I can't justify it when I already have the Steven Wilson remix that came out a while back.
Cheers. Yep Mofi is expensive, particularly this side of the pond.. but is there a better company pressing vinyl at the momement? Analogue productions comes close, classic records too, but theres something about mofi..!
[automerge]1569521203[/automerge]
There you go, some vintage stuff, eye and ear candy ?

View attachment 863074
Lovely gyro as always.. lovely audio research pre too.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Nirvana’s classic MTV Unplugged in New York album is getting a 25th anniversary vinyl reissue this fall. Marking the iconic live set’s first pressing as a double-LP, the new edition features five rehearsal performances that were previously available on only the DVD release.

Colored vinyl:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
So, the internet went out at my house. As a result, this goes over the Sonos system:

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Reactions: stormyuklondon1

stormyuklondon1

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006
15721923975266835786578723206294.jpg

System now sorted..
Gyrodec/tecnoarm/dynavector dv20xl2 into Dynavector p75 mk3 phonostage, Bryston bp25 preamp, Bryston 4bsst2 power amp and pair of pmc fb1+ speakers.
Spinning an analogue productions 45rpm copy of folksinger.
Sounds pretty good in my humble opinion, that should see me through to old(er) age..

Last edited:

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
That is a beautiful setup even tho I better like the old Gyro with the spinning counterweights under the plate, they are hypnotic ?

I am trying to find out who can restore my old Zeta tonearm (needs ball bearings and wiring being replaced) to have it all as it was back in time and, hopefully, some day can get two mono tube amps to feed some of my (biiiig) ego.

Thinking about it I have some stuff to sell which I have never used, a Kiseki step-up and some cartridges, uhm ? maybe start to sell to save and get those twin tube amps???

stormyuklondon1

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006
Cheers, yep, wish I'd kept the old platter to be honest. The turntables definitely lost some of its visual flair..
Maybe try audio origami for the rewire? He gets very good reviews..

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Cheers. Yep Mofi is expensive, particularly this side of the pond.. but is there a better company pressing vinyl at the momement? Analogue productions comes close, classic records too, but theres something about mofi..!
[automerge]1569521203[/automerge]

Lovely gyro as always.. lovely audio research pre too.

Oh yeah I get it... I have a MoFi section at home :)

And yes, I'd say Analogue Productions / QRP is my other favorite company. I have some outstanding pressings from them...a 45RPM copy of Counting Crows "August and Everything After," and my Stevie Ray Vaughn box set among others. Also the Folksinger LP you mentioned above, and all the other Gillian Welch/David Rawlings stuff. All amazing.....

mofi.jpg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

And yes, I'd say Analogue Productions / QRP is my other favorite company. I have some outstanding pressings from them...a 45RPM copy of Counting Crows "August and Everything After," and my Stevie Ray Vaughn box set among others. Also the Folksinger LP you mentioned above, and all the other Gillian Welch/David Rawlings stuff. All amazing.....

View attachment 872992
Curious why you have them stacked laying flat. Isn' the accepted way to store vinyl vertically? Or is the photo rotated sideways?

Aside from that, nice collection!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

stormyuklondon1

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2006

View attachment 872992
Lovely collection! Yep, the ap copy of august and everything after is stunning, so good.
Another great set of pressings are the Japanese island records reissues from around 2007. I picked up the wailers catch a fire to augment a rather worn original pressing and Free's fire & water. the vinyl is superb, but the attention to detail on the sleeves is stunning, the reproduction of the zippo lighter cover a real highlight.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I started to get into back into vinyl records a few years ago and now have a turntable set-up in my basement and in my living room. It's hard to explain why I get more enjoyment from the records than I do from digital files, streaming or CDs, but I do. If I just want to put on background music I'll stream it or use another digital source. Digital is also great in the vehicle, but if I just want to sit in my comfortable chair, crank it up a bit, close my eyes and just take in the music there's nothing like a vinyl record.

As long as you have a decent turntable and a decent audio system it's such a nice sounding format. We all know that CDs or lossless files will test better in the lab, but something about digital music is just too perfect. It can come across cold and mastered to just be loud. Vinyl is just natural and warm to listen to when you really want to focus on enjoying the music. The album art is great and even the records are neat to look at. You have to be a responsible record owner and take care of them if you want them to last a long time and sound good.

As far as the LP record is concerned it's electro/mechanical technology developed in the 1940s with the only major improvement made when stereo was added in the late 50s. With all the crazy stuff going on in this world today it takes me back to a simpler time. It's a rare piece of antiquated technology that still works amazingly well today. You can buy a 50-60 year old record that still plays and sounds great. Vinyl records will wear over time, but if you have a decent and well maintained turntable with light tracking force and take care of your records they will outlive you.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Curious why you have them stacked laying flat. Isn' the accepted way to store vinyl vertically? Or is the photo rotated sideways?

Aside from that, nice collection!

Oh the picture just rotated after I took it, and I didn't bother fixing it before uploading :) They're not lying flat!

Ah, that explains it.

Nevertheless, it is far easier to read their titles - excellent selection, by the way - when they appear to be stacked horizontally.

I am just to excited ...found today French Atlantic release 10.05.1963.
5K945ly.jpg

What a wonderful find, and what a beautiful album sleeve.

Reactions: bbrks

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
My interest in vinyl goes back to the 90's when CD's were the main format. The limited availability of the vinyl in those years made them an instant collectors item and they still sounded great.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Mind
I I have multiple copies of some albums on vinyl, cd, and downloaded versions. The vinyl sounds better to me, except for the possibility of pops or clicks. The cd versions sound colder with the possibility of skipping. All versions have possible flaws. But I do enjoy the 33 1/3 albums on the turntable. However, I don't have to flip the streaming version!
Pops and clicks go with vinyl. :)
[automerge]1575555259[/automerge]
My interest in vinyl goes back to the 90's when CD's were the main format. The limited availability of the vinyl in those years made them an instant collectors item and they still sounded great.
More and more people are getting into vinyl, just don,t buy these crap turntable like this
Mind you if you have an Apple computer you would not get one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: MattG and DakotaGuy

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
View attachment 872761
System now sorted..
Gyrodec/tecnoarm/dynavector dv20xl2 into Dynavector p75 mk3 phonostage, Bryston bp25 preamp, Bryston 4bsst2 power amp and pair of pmc fb1+ speakers.
Spinning an analogue productions 45rpm copy of folksinger.
Sounds pretty good in my humble opinion, that should see me through to old(er) age..
Cool gear you have there, but it should be bearing in mind the price that gear cost. :rolleyes:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Mind
Pops and clicks go with vinyl. :)
[automerge]1575555259[/automerge]

More and more people are getting into vinyl, just don,t buy these crap turntable like this
Mind you if you have an Apple computer you would not get one of them.

As far as pops and clicks go... Well yes and no. Although a few pops and clicks are to be expected if you take care of the record, keep it clean and play it on a somewhat decent turntable with a magnetic cartridge very little of that should be overly noticeable. There will always be some surface noise, but when your mechanically reading grooves on a disk with a stylus there is no way of getting around that.

As far as cheap all-in-one modern record players go... Yes these things are known as record eaters. Don't use them for anything more than a decoration or to play scratched up 99 cent thrift store finds.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
As far as pops and clicks go... Well yes and no. Although a few pops and clicks are to be expected if you take care of the record, keep it clean and play it on a somewhat decent turntable with a magnetic cartridge very little of that should be overly noticeable. There will always be some surface noise, but when your mechanically reading grooves on a disk with a stylus there is no way of getting around that.

As far as cheap all-in-one modern record players go... Yes these things are known as record eaters. Don't use them for anything more than a decoration or to play scratched up 99 cent thrift store finds.
I agree with what you say. :) even if you had the entry-level of turntables like project Rega and Audio-Technica and some reasonable amps like Cambridge and speakers like Dali Speakers :)

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC

Back then you could buy used vinyl for dirt cheap, as well. I took advantage, sure, but I was more invested in CDs at that point.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Back then you could buy used vinyl for dirt cheap, as well. I took advantage, sure, but I was more invested in CDs at that point.
Same for me in the 80,s I used to buy albums for as little as 10p :) They were review copies i used to buy two bags full of them quite a few of them weren't,t that good music-wise that is. They reduced them every two weeks. I loved buying a lot of them.nowadays the same shop only reduce them to a pound.:oops:I haven,t bought an album in years now. The charity shops now sell them for upwards of a pound and that crap stuff like James Last and middle of the road crap like that.:(

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I have to admit I am really enjoying digitizing my vinyl collection on my MacBook5,1 in Audacity. Even though I don't have an audiophile ears I am learning to enjoy all the bells and whistles that you can hear in a larger music file that is ripped from a good vinyl. Unfortunately I also realize that I've made some very poor choices in buying a vinyl that does not sound very good(mostly later reissues).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.