Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Not sure if this is technically a bug, but has anyone noticed that in the moon environment, dark mode, at the top right field of view there’s a full moon? Same spot as in other dark nature environments. Wouldn’t Earth be larger and more blue? :rolleyes:
I honestly thought it was Earth? At least it’s always looked like Earth when I saw it. I thought it moved too. Maybe I dreamt that.

nkgmd

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2004
I honestly thought it was Earth? At least it’s always looked like Earth when I saw it. I thought it moved too. Maybe I dreamt that.
Isn’t it too small though? I’ve seen pictures of Earthrise from the moon by NASA, didn’t look like that…and if it’s the sun it wouldn’t be dark…I know, I thought I was crazy too

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Isn’t it too small though? I’ve seen pictures of Earthrise from the moon by NASA, didn’t look like that…and if it’s the sun it wouldn’t be dark…I know, I thought I was crazy too
Ok I just looked again. It does look a bit moonie but other times I’ve seen it more Earthie 🤷🏻‍♂️

nkgmd

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2004
Ok I just looked again. It does look a bit moonie but other times I’ve seen it more Earthie 🤷🏻‍♂️
Ok, I take it back, either I was wrong or they fixed it in the last beta update (more likely I was wrong). Tail between my legs.

• Haha
Reactions: fatTribble

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Meh, more importantly, your politeness made my day 🥰
In the current released version, it looks like a moon, which doesn’t make sense. A faithfully rendered Earth would be great, though.

I haven’t tried any of the betas yet, and I notice there’s much less activity here than in similar iOS, macOS, and iPadOS threads. Although that’s mostly because the installed AVP base is far smaller, I wonder what it means for the visionOS release cycle. Will the lack of external beta testers slow it down?

Reactions: fatTribble

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
In the current released version, it looks like a moon, which doesn’t make sense. A faithfully rendered Earth would be great, though.

I haven’t tried any of the betas yet, and I notice there’s much less activity here than in similar iOS, macOS, and iPadOS threads. Although that’s mostly because the installed AVP base is far smaller, I wonder what it means for the visionOS release cycle. Will the lack of external beta testers slow it down?
I’ve honestly wondered if the negativity has scared away some posters. I wrote software my whole career. So I’ve never downloaded any beta software on my own devices. I’ve had enough of that haha.

Reactions: Roller

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I’ve honestly wondered if the negativity has scared away some posters. I wrote software my whole career. So I’ve never downloaded any beta software on my own devices. I’ve had enough of that haha.

I'm taking a different take on the VP. I've stayed away from Beta's on my Mac, iPad, iPhones as I don't want the Windows experience, just want them to work.

With the VP, it's new, and I expect it to be buggy. Figure the Beta's will offer early fixes to issues and heck, didn't have something like this before, so my life doesn't depend on it working all the time. To be honest, I've had some issues as posted here, but overall, the experience has been pretty decent!

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I'm taking a different take on the VP. I've stayed away from Beta's on my Mac, iPad, iPhones as I don't want the Windows experience, just want them to work.

With the VP, it's new, and I expect it to be buggy. Figure the Beta's will offer early fixes to issues and heck, didn't have something like this before, so my life doesn't depend on it working all the time. To be honest, I've had some issues as posted here, but overall, the experience has been pretty decent!
That makes complete sense. As much as I’d like to see new features, they’re obviously correct to fix all the bugs they can as fast as they can.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Unfortunately, we have no track record to tell how many iterations a typical beta will go through before getting close to RC, as we do with the other Apple OSs. I'd be willing to try 1.1ß if there were enough people who said it was pretty stable. I'm going to look around and see what's out there.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Unfortunately, we have no track record to tell how many iterations a typical beta will go through before getting close to RC, as we do with the other Apple OSs. I'd be willing to try 1.1ß if there were enough people who said it was pretty stable. I'm going to look around and see what's out there.

It’s stable enough for me to stay on it. Which is pretty darn stable. And EVEN when I have to do a hard reset, Safari tabs return to where I was. Still have to launch things again, but it’s not as bad as computers used to be.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
It’s stable enough for me to stay on it. Which is pretty darn stable. And EVEN when I have to do a hard reset, Safari tabs return to where I was. Still have to launch things again, but it’s not as bad as computers used to be.

Agreed. This beta has been super stable for me. Beta 3 crashed a few times after I’d take out the optical inserts for the evening when putting the device away not knowing if I’d have contacts in the next day or not. I’ve not had any crashes nor any need to do a hard restart since installing the most recent beta. So far, so god ….

arfung

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
Beta 4 has been stable for me so far. Also, I agree with previous posters that the fonts look sharper.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Is there a way to trigger the beta option to show up on VP? I can see it on one of my units but the other it doesn’t show. I’ve restarted, did a reformat a month ago. It’s just annoying how finicky this is. I suppose I can wait till 1.1 and see if that addresses it, but really not imprrsssed with the quality of software from Apple. It feels like this product is still in beta and 2.0 VOS will be the software to really make this what it was to be. We just are being allowed to play with it on the meantime.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
You need to be logged in with a Apple ID associated as a developer. After a short time when you go to software update, you’ll see a switch for beta. If you don’t see the switch for beta, your Apple ID is not set up as a developer ID.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
You need to be logged in with a Apple ID associated as a developer. After a short time when you go to software update, you’ll see a switch for beta. If you don’t see the switch for beta, your Apple ID is not set up as a developer ID.
That's what Im saying, is that I am logged in with the same ID on both AVPs and they are configured the same way. One shows the beta the other doesn't for developer. So that confirms the ID is setup correctly and unsure as to why the other won't see it after restarts etc.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I installed ß4 last night, but only had about 10 minutes to play with it. What I noticed:
  • Eye and hand tracking seem more reliable.
  • I saw badge counts on a few apps — I don't recall seeing them before.
  • I usually use Siri to shut down, but that didn't work the first few times I tried it.
  • I'm disappointed there are no new environments. I'd think Apple would have had a bunch of these ready to go. Apple should also be offering more immersive content in Apple TV+. I guess they're supposed to be coming, but this is the AVP's "killer app," so I expect more sooner.
  • I'm not sure about the object in the sky over the moon, but it definitely seems too small and bright to be Earth.
  • No crashes in the brief time I used the beta. I should get more time with it over the weekend.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I installed ß4 last night, but only had about 10 minutes to play with it. What I noticed:
  • Eye and hand tracking seem more reliable.
  • I saw badge counts on a few apps — I don't recall seeing them before.
  • I usually use Siri to shut down, but that didn't work the first few times I tried it.
  • I'm disappointed there are no new environments. I'd think Apple would have had a bunch of these ready to go. Apple should also be offering more immersive content in Apple TV+. I guess they're supposed to be coming, but this is the AVP's "killer app," so I expect more sooner.
  • I'm not sure about the object in the sky over the moon, but it definitely seems too small and bright to be Earth.
  • No crashes in the brief time I used the beta. I should get more time with it over the weekend.
I’m definitely looking forward to more immersive content and Environments. I hope the Environments aren’t like the jellyfish and butterfly on Apple Watch. They did a fantastic job on those Watch faces but never added more of them. Really hoping we get many more Environments!

Thanks for the summary!

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
I have noticed a couple of bugs with the beta.

The system sounds (keyboard clicks, etc.) stop working sometimes after you listen to music in Apple Music. Reboot fixes it.

Notifications would pile on top of the control center occasionally.

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
Release notes on the Vision Pro mention removing System Apps from the Home View. That's not something I saw mentioned before.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Release notes on the Vision Pro mention removing System Apps from the Home View. That's not something I saw mentioned before.

I also think there's quite a bit of small quality of life improvements not mentioned in the release notes. I feel like the overall rendering / sharpening techniques have been tweaked for the better. Mac Virtual Display is absolutely more crisp too (at the expense of slightly more artifacting around text sometimes) but it's a lot crisper to me.

I also think loading Photos or the "+" photos mini-menu in Messages to select and send an image within a chat is a lot faster to load now, feels like things have been generally more optimized in a few small ways that adds up to a better experience.

Reactions: Eugr and fatTribble

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Is there a definitive way to troubleshoot the beta option not showing up in settings on visionOS 1.0.3? I was able to install it fine as was a friend, but my other friend isn't seeing the option at all.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Is there a definitive way to troubleshoot the beta option not showing up in settings on visionOS 1.0.3? I was able to install it fine as was a friend, but my other friend isn't seeing the option at all.
I have the same issue on one set. Same ID is being used and one vision shows the beta option the other does not. So it isn’t a matter of not seeing the ID setup correctly as it’s identical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.