Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DISTRESS0R

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2021
Mine has said Arrives 14-16 Sept for ages. Thought it might be a mistake, but it's now updated to Preparing to Ship!

EDIT: Arrives Thursday! (Typical, when I'm away from home)

Ah, maybe mine wont be Thursday after all.
Shouldn't be too far now. My W6800x is arriving this thursday. Super excited! Not sure if I'll sell my W5700x anymore as I want the thunderbolt throughput

DISTRESS0R

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2021
^^^^Since it's an Apple MPX module, doesn't the W6800X have TB also❓

Lou
yep thats right! I dont think there is another solution to add full throughput thunderbolt connectors without adding an additional GPU or afterburner card from what I can see. A TB hub won't be quite the same as it shares bandwidth and bus power. Please feel free to chime in if I'm missing something here.

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Afterburner cards do not have Thunderbolt ports.
Or any ports at all.

It is a shame Apple doesn't offer any sort of MPX model purely for additional Thunderbolt 3 and USB ports. Heck, the ability to add a second Apple I/O card would be brilliant, but sadly it's limited to slot 8 so can't add extras.

I installed an additional W5700X in my system a few weeks ago (hasn't really given me a boost in my FCP workflow so it's going back), and it's been nice having the extra four ports.

Reactions: DISTRESS0R

jasonmvp

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2015
Northern VA
Ah, maybe mine wont be Thursday after all.

EDIT: Yeah just gone back a week to the 23rd. Sigh...

I'm assuming by your previous post that UPS or some other shipping company actually has it in their hands? I just called UPS and asked them "WTF?" Their answer was similar to what others have said: they have it in their Shanghai holding facility waiting to clear US customs, and are running into CV19 delays. Currently they have no idea when they'll be able to ship it over the Pacific to the US, so they've removed the ETA from their site.

Is it a similar issue getting something into the UK for you?

skippermonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Bath, UK
I'm assuming by your previous post that UPS or some other shipping company actually has it in their hands? I just called UPS and asked them "WTF?" Their answer was similar to what others have said: they have it in their Shanghai holding facility waiting to clear US customs, and are running into CV19 delays. Currently they have no idea when they'll be able to ship it over the Pacific to the US, so they've removed the ETA from their site.

Is it a similar issue getting something into the UK for you?
No idea. At the moment I'm more concerned about the new 'update' of cinema 4D which is utter garbage and offers nothing new for my £550 a year. It's the reason for getting a Duo in the first place, with Octane render. Maybe I'll just give up CG for good, send the Duo back and just stick to playing video games.

DISTRESS0R

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2021
7DACF119-1B93-4E24-9F3E-A73E3FDED970.jpeg

Just arrived today! First test will be Battlefield V in Windows 10, tomorrow some da Vinci tests

jasonmvp

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2015
Northern VA
Mine's finally cleared customs in Ankorage, AK; UPS says I'll have it tomorrow.

I'll have my VegaII and an Infinity Fabric Link available for sale once the Duo's installed.

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
View attachment 1831757
Just arrived today! First test will be Battlefield V in Windows 10, tomorrow some da Vinci tests
Just out of curiosity; why would you test a Windows game first after buying what is clearly a workstation card? I mean I am curious as well; but have not bothered to install Boot Camp on mine since I have a dedicated Windows tower.

DISTRESS0R

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2021
Very interested about fan noise under load. Mine is now down as 'shipped' for delivery next Thursday.
The GPU itself is totally silent passive heat sink design. So even with the Mac Pro fans kicking in it’s still very silent. One thing I very much love about the new Mac Pro.

DISTRESS0R

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2021
Just out of curiosity; why would you test a Windows game first after buying what is clearly a workstation card? I mean I am curious as well; but have not bothered to install Boot Camp on mine since I have a dedicated Windows tower.
It was late last night so I just felt like switching off with a good gaming session ?

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
By the way, final Cut works well with 4 gpus of two w6800x duo for color grading work, denoise, stabilize, etc. more of a difference than just pure export times vs other setups

davinci resolve too

jasonmvp

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2015
Northern VA
Got it. Installed it (holy crap are those suckers heavy!) and posted the Vega II in the Marketplace. Haven't had time to run through my own Resolve tests as of yet because I'm still working my day job.

DISTRESS0R

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2021
4439E576-5C41-4E8A-86DB-D52626997059.jpeg

Decided to list the W5700x on Facebook broadcast gear for sale group Australia for those who PM'd / interested

strangerthanlight

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2021
Ran with the W6800x duo for a while now. What's interesting is in bootcamp it seems to run much cooler (using AMD's new bootcamp drivers). Still feel like some issues with Mac OS not ironed out yet for these 6xxx cards.

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
Ran with the W6800x duo for a while now. What's interesting is in bootcamp it seems to run much cooler (using AMD's new bootcamp drivers). Still feel like some issues with Mac OS not ironed out yet for these 6xxx cards.
If it’s anything like the 5500m heat issues, it will never get “fixed”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.