Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skippermonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Bath, UK
Right, well I've installed my W6800X Duo and it's utterly transformed Octane render in C4D. before I could just about render this one, very detailed and textured Kitbash3D Object…

Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 2.15.41 pm.png

But with the single Duo it now renders the whole damn kit!

Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 2.18.18 pm.png

This would have been utterly impossible with my 8GB VRAM 5700XT GPUS. The Duo is running silently as well, so for me this is a bloody great thumbs up. All I need now is a Thunderbolt/USB-C monitor (c'mon Apple!) and another Duo. Super thrilled with this result.

mitchino

macrumors member
May 25, 2015
That is very encouraging! I’m swithering between a 7.1 with 6800x duo or switching to Windoze. My main use will be for Octane. What’s the interactive performance like? i.e. time to first pixel, responsiveness and speed using the live viewer?

skippermonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Bath, UK
Feels pretty good to me – at least as fast the dual 5700s, probably quicker, although no doubt some things are CPU-bound. Stability has been rock solid so far (and I mean rock solid, not a single crash); as I suspected I was constantly hitting the 8GB VRAM limit before.

I've been loading entire Kitbash sets (plus all high-res PNG textures) and responsiveness is fine. Most holdups are in converting materials to the OpenGL viewport, and a few brief pauses when doing things like adding and editing fog volumes. But once everything is converted/loaded and Octane is happy, it's very responsive. With two of the MPX models, it'd be an absolute beast for rendering (obviously!).

EDIT: Just loaded a set with 1.93 million polys (scene file is 257MB with 278MB textures). Added an Octane sunlight, set it to Pathtracing and from click to render was about 7 seconds. (Similarly, I added a ground plane and it took 5-6 seconds for it to convert then render.)

But now I can move and rotate about the entire scene and it feels like, I dunno, 15-20 fps in the Live Viewer? Absolutely no issues. I mean, this thing is fully raytraced with glass materials and transparency, and about 4-6 seconds to resolve to a useable, noise-free image. (And I haven't optimised the scene at all. Haven't deleted any non-visible meshes, used instances or lower-res images.)

Also, it makes Viewport Rendering completely useable. Before I would have always avoided it.

Last edited:

mitchino

macrumors member
May 25, 2015
Awesome! Wait until you get 2 x duos!

If you feel like making a short screen grab video showing the responsiveness it would be highly appreciated...

One question - does Octane see the 6800x duo as having 32GB RAM? (even though it really has 2 x 32GB)

skippermonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Bath, UK
The things that slow it down (as far as I can tell) are things like rotating large HDRIs (changing the Octane sun is much quicker).

And yes, it looks like it only sees 32GB (well, 31.984GB) according to the info panel in the LV.

mitchino

macrumors member
May 25, 2015
Very helpful. The hdri rotation speed is terrible! I guess you could use a lower res temp hdri to speed things up.

Which CPU does your 7.1 have? If it's the 16 core, could you do me a cinebench r23 score for single core and multicore? Can't seem to find scores for the 16 core anywhere.

skippermonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Bath, UK
No, sorry, it’s the 24-core. The HDRI rotation is weird. I don’t remember it being that bad. Might bring it up in the Octane forum. They are big HDRI files - might try with smaller images, see if that helps.

EDIT: Okay, it's not the size of the HDRI, it's the textures (presumably the complexity, and possibly size of the maps). If I delete all thee textues the HDRI rotates smoothly, even with a really poly-heavy scene.

If I apply a simple material to everything in the same scene, HDRI rotation is again fine. I suspect it's a combination of the complexity of the Kitbash3D materials, plus the fact that each part of each model has multiple selection tags and multiple materials applied. Using an earlier kit, with simpler and fewer materials, rotation of a 6K HDRI is again pretty quick (approx 2 seconds). So not sure what kind stuff you do, but you may find this a non-issue.

Last edited:

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Here are some Luxmark scores for those who are interested.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 5.32.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 5.32.21 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 129
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 5.35.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 5.35.09 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 125
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 5.37.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 5.37.49 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 131
Reactions: kennyman

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
By the way, for those who were concerned with overheating with the W6800x Duo, it's not anymore than normal. I also tested extensively the Vega ii Duo, and it exhibits similar behavior.

It's just the nature of having two GPUs in one, it will reach thermal limits faster than two separate single GPUs

Reactions: kennyman

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
By the way, for those who were concerned with overheating with the W6800x Duo, it's not anymore than normal. I also tested extensively the Vega ii Duo, and it exhibits similar behavior.

It's just the nature of having two GPUs in one, it will reach thermal limits faster than two separate single GPUs
Expanding on rondocap's remarks; I highly recommend using a third party app to control the fans; Apple in my opinion has always been willing to run chips hotter than what most would consider "normal". With that said, my personal fan controls, during the Luxmark tests; the bottom fan was going at 100%; but it still kept all the GPU cores in the 70-85º C range the whole time while it was running (and I did 4 renders right in a row, I re-did the luxball since I wanted to make a more meaningful screenshot of the results.)

I pretty much have the GPU core temps controlling that bottom fan. And if the CPU gets hot then I pretty much dial up all the fans. I also added a rule for the platform controller chip, which will boost up the logic board fan when needed.

And perhaps I would notice, but since my UPS fan sounds like a turbine, I do not hear the Mac Pro at all. ?

Last edited:

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Very helpful. The hdri rotation speed is terrible! I guess you could use a lower res temp hdri to speed things up.

Which CPU does your 7.1 have? If it's the 16 core, could you do me a cinebench r23 score for single core and multicore? Can't seem to find scores for the 16 core anywhere.
16-core Mac Pro Cinebench r23 scores.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 7.03.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 7.03.08 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 146
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 6.44.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 6.44.48 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 150

skippermonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Bath, UK
Just a quick update: Octane/C4D and the Duo are working great. The VRAM headroom makes Octane way more stable than it's ever been. And in terms of textures and geometry, I don't seem to be able to fill the Duo up! It just gobbles up models and keeps on rendering…

Here's a quick animation: https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/612406985

One camera, one pass. Just a little bit of post work in Motion (Vimeo does of course add some lossiness – it looks better in the raw). The whole thing rendered overnight, probably less than 8 hours.

Goog Goog

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2021
Hello
I have 6800x MPX.
If I add 6800x Duo MPX, can I connect these two graphics cards with Infinity Fabric Link?

BingusFridays

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2021
Wondering if anyone could give any input (I am normally a PC user and don't do video editing so I am out of my element)

Putting together a Mac Pro, what would be the ideal configuration (mindful of budget) for a video editing workflow that is primarily in Premiere Pro (and occasional After Effects)? Would need to support 6k and 8k playback for ingesting footage as that's what we shoot in. The current rig only has 4GB VRAM and is at least eight years old so obviously anything is going to be an improvement. That being said, not adverse to upgrading later down the line (ex, replacing older dual cards for newer, OR, buying a single card and adding a second)

My questions are this:

is it better to get 2x w5700s, potentially needing to replace both in a few years -OR- get one w6800 and then add a second in a year (or maybe two). The editing is generally not extreme (projects are rarely over 10 minutes, usually in the 2-5 range, almost all outputs 1080p) so we wouldn't need the highest range options right now. Just trying to guage if it's better to get a newer card as a standalone, or if the benefit of running dual cards is substantial enough for our purposes that we should go with that.

I've scrolled through most of this thread, but I feel like it's hard to parse what would apply to this situation. Thanks in advance!

randy85

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
Wondering if anyone could give any input (I am normally a PC user and don't do video editing so I am out of my element)

Putting together a Mac Pro, what would be the ideal configuration (mindful of budget) for a video editing workflow that is primarily in Premiere Pro (and occasional After Effects)? Would need to support 6k and 8k playback for ingesting footage as that's what we shoot in. The current rig only has 4GB VRAM and is at least eight years old so obviously anything is going to be an improvement. That being said, not adverse to upgrading later down the line (ex, replacing older dual cards for newer, OR, buying a single card and adding a second)

My questions are this:

is it better to get 2x w5700s, potentially needing to replace both in a few years -OR- get one w6800 and then add a second in a year (or maybe two). The editing is generally not extreme (projects are rarely over 10 minutes, usually in the 2-5 range, almost all outputs 1080p) so we wouldn't need the highest range options right now. Just trying to guage if it's better to get a newer card as a standalone, or if the benefit of running dual cards is substantial enough for our purposes that we should go with that.

I've scrolled through most of this thread, but I feel like it's hard to parse what would apply to this situation. Thanks in advance!
I think it depends a bit of which codec you're using. If it's H265 it'll probably tank either system. I'd personally would get one w6800 to take advantage of doubling up in the future.

I'm also not convinced PP is any good at using multiple anything (so one more powerful card is a probably better). It's multicore CPU performance the last time I checked, seemed bad compared to Resolve.

Either way if what you're replacing is really old you will be happy I'm sure!

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002

My questions are this:

I would go visit Puget Systems and read up on some of their reviews and bench marking articles. Honestly you will get better performance at a much lower price with a Windows system. Although right now getting GPUs is a nightmare.

Also Apple is set to have a announcement in 3 days; who knows what will be announced. If Apple somehow manages to surpass the performance of a MacPro with their M-series silicon, I will be very exited and mad at the same time; but that is life and technology forges ahead. (and I am doubtful they can right now at least in multicore performance.)

Adobe currently is not going to take advantage of multiple GPUs. That could change. I mean hell, they are just now getting back to allowing After Effects to render multiple frames at once - -**** that was a feature like 10 years ago that vanished as they started to re-vamp the rendering engine. Adobe would be wise to start looking into GPU rendering and allowing a lot more user control over that aspect. I would love it if I could keep my 580x installed and just use it for monitor displays and then select the W6800X duo to handle the workload.

Some AE plugins will render with the GPU, Element3D is a lot faster with the W6800X Duo than the 580x, big time.

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
I plan to do the same tests on the new M1 Max with 32 Core GPU, if it's a lot slower than the Mac Pro with the W6800x Duos, I'll be sure to post it. If it's faster or almost as fast, I don't want to talk to you guys again because I love my Mac Pro.

lol, just kidding. But I am curious how it will do in real world tests...

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
I have a curious issue that may be someone could be of some insight:

in Davinci resolve, when testing a W6800X duo, and then adding a second one for quad GPU, the single duo plays back about twice as fast as when I have four.

The quad GPU does export faster, but when it comes to actual playback, it’s about half the speed when the GPUs are doubled.

any idea why this may happen?

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Rondocap did you get your M1 machine yet? Thoughts?
Yeah, it's really good - but the Mac Pro still beats it with the W6800x Duo for GPU heavy things like r3d raw, 3d work, etc. The one area the M1 Max really shines is in Pro Res, it's the fastest there

But for the price, certainly it's very impressive vs the Mac Pro, even if it is not a big GPU beast yet. AS Mac Pro should be incredible

Reactions: avkills

maikerukun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009

My questions are this:

I'm sure you already know this but the MacBook Pro M1X Max is 3 times faster than the Mac Pro with 1 w6800xt and 2 times faster than the Mac Pro with 2 w6800xt duos.

But I am ONLY referring to your editing workflow. Oddly enough I use my strictly for editing films now and continue to stick to my current 2019 iMac 27inch 5k for Octane rendering and animation. Believe it or not, once you understand settings in C4D and Octane you can work just fine on it. I plan on posting videos soon enough and will update here once I start to.

mkzayar

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2020
Hi,

After reading amazing post of all of you I jumped and bought W6800X Duo and now need some help to understand and see whether my W6800X Duo is defective and need to ask a replacement or refund.

I am just testing a video footage from pixabay and applying just NR to see how is my GPUs behave.

My MP spec is 28 cores, 3Gpus, (W6800X Duo, W5700X and 6900XT eGpu). The reason eGpu is the card RX6800XT Sapphire SE was bought before I get my Mac Pro and the measurement was wrong. It was stated something on Sapphire webiste but actual measurement is different.

Anyway, The project is here and you can download and see, of course if you have time. PROJECT ZIP FILE TO DOWNLOAD

All I did is just apply some NR

Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 12.48.02.png

I am using 3 monitors and the following ss will shows how I attached my monitors to Graphic cards.

Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 12.20.29.png

Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 12.20.43.png

I am just applying some NR to the footage and see how my W6800X Duo behave. Before fans kicked in, the Temps reached to 90-95 but after fans kicked in, the temps stay in 70-77.

I am using with Resolve 17 and just getting 16-20 FPS and choppy footage. I am still playing the footage for now about 20 minutes and temps are still between 70-77. But fans speed are as in attached image.

Just saw someone saying Resolve is not using more than one GPU but I can see all my GPUs are cooking properly. I am sure he got more experience than me. I just want to confirm with you all.

Screenshot 2022-02-03 at 11.09.52.jpg

Is it normal ?
Am I getting defective GPU ?

Please kindly help me to understand if you are using same or different GPUs about this behaviour.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.