Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thevault

Suspended
Feb 11, 2019
Mars
I did a hackintosh in a VM once, that was fun. But yeah, its not the real deal and you really gotta evaluate the cost-benefit relating to your time and money.

Already order computer parts and a Dune case until MP7.1 release because it will be next year for the Mp7.1.......:rolleyes:

Even though I started on a Quadra950 I'm not a Fanboy as many........;)

Last edited:

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I keep telling myself, if I can wait 6 years....what's another a couple days/weeks?

But damn, they don't make it easy for people who's business depends on this. At least release the pricing info!

Reactions: thevault

kjohansen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Oregon
I keep telling myself, if I can wait 6 years....what's another a couple days/weeks?

But damn, they don't make it easy for people who's business depends on this. At least release the pricing info!

You can see some, well at least the base price $5999.00

Reactions: OkiRun

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
They’re gonna do it, aren’t they? They are really going to wait to ship this thing in 2020, aren’t they ?

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
They’re gonna do it, aren’t they? They are really going to wait to ship this thing in 2020, aren’t they ?
There are going to be worldwide orders... so it is possible to take orders in December and ship in early January and not blink at eye by Apple executives.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
When in December? I don't see prices for the configure-to-order options.
[automerge]1573666630[/automerge]
I had a chat with a representative at the Apple store and they told me the option pricing will be available at launch. They don't have an exact date yet. They also told me the release of the new MacBook Pro was a complete surprise and they only received the documents for it at 7 this morning.

Last edited:

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
"Today, Apple also announced that the all-new ‌Mac Pro‌, the world's best pro desktop, and Apple Pro Display XDR, the world's best pro display, will be available in December."

I don't see the word Fall anywhere in there.
It is understood by most who have read the thread that Fall 2019 ends December 20. Apple previously announced "Fall", so Fall it still is, provided it arrives before December 20.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Apple said Fall at WWDC.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 9.11.58 AM.png

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
You know, I've always thought of December as Winter. Maybe that's just me but ... oh wait what is this?

1573751893424.png

So I guess Astronomically it makes sense, but meteorologically I feel betrayed. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: thisisnotmyname

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
When in December? I don't see prices for the configure-to-order options
December 31st.

Maybe for some Configure to order / Build to order (CTO / BTO ) options . Fall (which is bounded by Dec 20th ) is only for shipping something; not necessarily everything to everywhere.

Apple is probably building 1-2 "standard configurations". Those will highly likely ship by Fall because Apple will simply just push a few out the door to hit the deadline. That doesn't mean they will be in readily available supply or that all optional configurations will be ready by that date.

If the initial demand bubble super slams the available supply Apple will probably cut some countries off the availability list too.

But there is zero reason for Apple to wait past the 20th and slide to the 31st. There would be something made in the factory even if they started after USA Thanksgiving weekend by the 20th. (which is unlikely. Production is probably already running if they are lining up some dog and pony show for the press with the Trump jumping on the bandwagon. )

The problem that Apple likely has at the moment is the the initial demand probably is going to far outstrip the supply. So they need lead time to build up some inventories so the shortages are ridiculously long and burdensome. However, they probably aren't shooting for zero shortages either as they can spin some mismatch in supply-demand as "surprisingly strong" demand. ( a bit like encouraging lines for new iPhones without the lines getting too ridiculous. )
[automerge]1573753035[/automerge]
You know, I've always thought of December as Winter. Maybe that's just me but ... oh wait what is this?
So I guess Astronomically it makes sense, but meteorologically I feel betrayed. ;)

Meteorology has their own Winter.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/meteorological-versus-astronomical-seasons

Apple is talking about Calendar time. They don't have to wait until Fall cold weather to harvest the Mac Pro crop. The weather has nothing to do with making a Mac Pro.

Time, ,availability of parts, and logistics does. That is calendar time ( which is derived from astronomy. )
The only other time scale Apple may talk about is a fiscal scale ( their FY starts in September. ). ... which again has little to do with weather.

Last edited:

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Maybe for some Configure to order / Build to order (CTO / BTO ) options . Fall (which is bounded by Dec 20th ) is only for shipping something; not necessarily everything to everywhere.

Apple is probably building 1-2 "standard configurations". Those will highly likely ship by Fall because Apple will simply just push a few out the door to hit the deadline. That doesn't mean they will be in readily available supply or that all optional configurations will be ready by that date.

If the initial demand bubble super slams the available supply Apple will probably cut some countries off the availability list too.

But there is zero reason for Apple to wait past the 20th and slide to the 31st. There would be something made in the factory even if they started after USA Thanksgiving weekend by the 20th. (which is unlikely. Production is probably already running if they are lining up some dog and pony show for the press with the Trump jumping on the bandwagon. )

The problem that Apple likely has at the moment is the the initial demand probably is going to far outstrip the supply. So they need lead time to build up some inventories so the shortages are ridiculously long and burdensome. However, they probably aren't shooting for zero shortages either as they can spin some mismatch in supply-demand as "surprisingly strong" demand. ( a bit like encouraging lines for new iPhones without the lines getting too ridiculous. )
[automerge]1573753035[/automerge]

Meteorology has their own Winter.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/meteorological-versus-astronomical-seasons

Apple is talking about Calendar time. They don't have to wait until Fall cold weather to harvest the Mac Pro crop. The weather has nothing to do with making a Mac Pro.

Time, ,availability of parts, and logistics does. That is calendar time ( which is derived from astronomy. )
The only other time scale Apple may talk about is a fiscal scale ( their FY starts in September. ). ... which again has little to do with weather.

There are far more than a few in inventory right now. Production was in ramp weeks ago. I know this first hand, I can’t say a lot about this but now that Apple has announced availability I feel comfortable enough (anonymously) stating where they are in the production cycle. Not a ton of inventory so I’d expect constraints unless demand is really low. They are not building anywhere close to all permutations in advance though so if you order a BTO combination Apple didn’t think would be common you’ll have to wait for assembly per your work order.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
There are far more than a few in inventory right now. Production was in ramp weeks ago. I know this first hand, I can’t say a lot about this but now that Apple has announced availability I feel comfortable enough (anonymously) stating where they are in the production cycle. Not a ton of inventory so I’d expect constraints unless demand is really low. They are not building anywhere close to all permutations in advance though so if you order a BTO combination Apple didn’t think would be common you’ll have to wait for assembly per your work order.
Kinda wish we could BTO and order them now though. At least then we'd have some kind of plan instead of waiting ... after most pros had been waiting for what, six years now? One more month just seems like insult to injury, and yet probably isn't going to end the world either.

Reactions: thisisnotmyname

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Kinda wish we could BTO and order them now though. At least then we'd have some kind of plan instead of waiting ... after most pros had been waiting for what, six years now? One more month just seems like insult to injury, and yet probably isn't going to end the world either.

Agreed, I’d like BTO pricing and to stake my place in line ? Even with the access I have I don’t have info on BTO prices. I emailed Tim Cook but didn’t get a response (not surprising but I tried anyway).

• Sad
Reactions: kjohansen

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
There are far more than a few in inventory right now. Production was in ramp weeks ago. ..... They are not building anywhere close to all permutations in advance though so if you order a BTO combination Apple didn’t think would be common you’ll have to wait for assembly per your work order.

Which given they probably aren't going to make folks work on Christmas Day and lots of factories slow or shutdown during the holiday week means an order around Dec 20 could easily slide into around the 31 (or later ) time frame.

Apple can't build what they don't know folks want. If they open the pre-order a week (or more ) in advance then there is a better chance of not hitting a slide for the holiday production slowdown, but that is probably what they should do, not what they are going to do.

Apple has had the Mac Pro in Osborne effect more for several years. Even if they have "more than a few" in inventories , they have spent almost 3 years telling folks to just circle the airport and wait. The initial demand bubble is going to be pretty high here even with the doubling of the entry point price. Not given a decent pre-order window will only make it worse because they'll stampede to get orders in fast in attempts to avoid the slide. ( backlog of MP 2013 out into Feb memories. ) . The more they encourage a stampede the more likely they'll get one. They have been goosing this stampede for years at this point. The shorter and shorter pre-order window increasingly means they are looking for one too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.