Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwa276

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I've been cleaning my case every 2-3 days because the directions that came with the incase case said that it might collect debris and hold it in.

Well, I guess regular cleanings were not enough... My chrome bezel is now scratched to hell on the top & bottom. I would have been better off going case-less!

This is just a warning to others that have the Incase rubber cases! It will collect dust along the inner rim and you won't notice until it's too late!

Piece of crap! Maybe I can take it back...

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Hmm, odd. I have the rubber incase grippy cover. No scratches on my chrome bezel (as far as I can tell).

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Not surprising since I have read other posts from people saying their is scratched also eithr from no case or by removing their case. Either way the chrome will eventually wear off, just keep a case on it and noone will ever know.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Is there a way to polish the chrome on the iPhone? That would be ideal, but I am not sure what material it realy is (is it chrome?)

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
Dang that really sucks, can you post some picks so I can show some buddies.

This is actually the case I went to the apple store to purchase today and they were out of the black ones, so maybe it was a good thing.

jwa276

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Here is a pic of the bottom edge of the phone. The sides are actually ok, but I'll let the picture do the explaining for the top and bottom edges of the bezel...

Fortunately, it is not terribly noticeable unless you get within 2'. I guess my iPhone is going case-less from now on. I hope there is some sort of bezel replacement service available at some point- similar to how it is for iPods.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,058

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Here is a pic of the bottom edge of the phone. The sides are actually ok, but I'll let the picture do the explaining for the top and bottom edges of the bezel...

Fortunately, it is not terribly noticeable unless you get within 2'. I guess my iPhone is going case-less from now on. I hope there is some sort of bezel replacement service available at some point- similar to how it is for iPods.

Holy **** thats so much more serious then I would of ever guessed.

jwa276

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I know, right? Just when you thought your case would be protecting your investment from scratches... I know this has something to do with the case's rubber stretching out and being more susceptible to debris...

I'm just going to pray for a bezel replacement program! Everything else on the phone is in pristine condition, at least :)

krimedog

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
2nd. UNREAL. How can they make a case that will do this!!!

Thats unreal. And its been only 4 Days with the case on. 4 frickin days.

What do we do about it?

Attachments

• CIMG2081.JPG
    CIMG2081.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 666

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Why does it matter what the bezel looks like if you can't see it?
I thinks I'll go naked until I scratch it up and then cover it up with the case.

jwa276

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Thats unreal. And its been only 4 Days with the case on. 4 frickin days.

What do we do about it?

Damn man... Yeah something is not right here. Incase is probably not aware of this yet either. They are going to have a ton of pissed off iPhone customers.

I'm going to write them an email, then I'll talk to the people at the Apple Store tomorrow since I gotta go in there to pick up my monitor anyway.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
That is the reason I stopped using my Incase today. Felt that the edge on the bezel just moved around too much and was going to cause problems. Sadly I see it has happened.

tjespo22

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Staten Island NY
this happened to mee too. im so pissed!!
what can we do? im gonna just take mine out, but will it be more likely to get scratced than when its in the case?

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Not sure why its happening to you guys, but mine is just fine.

Although, I have the Slate colored one, but still...

z400central

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
Same happened with my blackberry 8800 and rubber case. The dust/lint/dirt/etc gets trapped inside the case and basically rubs against the phone.

jonG

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks for the heads up.I have the same case and will check it out often. sux

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I can't believe how fragile the chrome is. My chrome scratched and i have been babying the phone. Oh well i wish Apple used better material or a plastic instrad of the chrome.

I may try scotch tape to protect what is left of the chrome and then use the incase cover.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I guess it is just a chrome finish or something. I wish Apple had made the bezel out of stainless steel like my Nokia 8801. I have had that thing almost 2 years and it doesn't have one scratch on it. I keep it in the soft pouch it came in in my pocket but I'm sure that gets a bit of debris in it. I guess the difference is that the Incase is rubbing the debris against the bezel. For what it's worth I ordered a case from http://www.foofshop.com and I think that will work just great. It's only a soft bag to protect it in your pocket. Just slide it out to use it. I also got a Griffin Elan Snap In which can be used screen in or out and that will work in the meantime till my foofpod bag arrives or for when I want a holster.

jwa276

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The chrome bezel would have been fine had the Incase not stretched out to let in debris. My case used to be so nice and taut, but I think it was only 3 days after I had it on my phone I noticed I could move the phone up and down in the case slightly.

Then around the fifth day I noticed that the bottom part above the sync port was barely even touching the phone... and that is where my scratching is the worst!

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
my chrome scratched without a case. The material sucks so i would blame apple before incase. Like I said I have been babying the phone too.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I can (sadly) admit this is why I avoided the iPod Movies, I hate seeing my toys messed up. I couldn't resist though and picked one up and have the Belkin Silicone case...I'm afraid to take it off. LOL I still have Apple's OEM Protective Film on it.

When I get the iPhone I will most likely pick up a similar case. I guess we all have to live with it. :mad: :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.