Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
Scratches on mine as well. Have had the incase for a week and when i read the post I found the scratches along the bottom bezel. Dissapointed.....:mad:

macrobat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Me too I just checked and have a nice scratch in the upper left corner. Pity since it is such a nice looking case but I have to replace it

TheScappian

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
I got a ding on my car door so I am taking it back to the dealership. Cars must not be ready for everyday use. I am going back to my bicycle..... Cmon!

jwa276

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm looking forward to the Griffin iClear's release. I emailed them and they said it probably wouldn't be out until later in July.

Until then I'm going to go caseless since my phone is no longer perfect anyway! If Apple was smart it would implement a bezel replacement program so incase could offer to fix my phone for me... and hey why not all the other iPhones that their products are in the process of screwing up, too :)

Thanks to all the other people taking the time to check and post about this case. Incase deserves to know if it is a serious problem so they can take adequate actions before everyone starts to think they make crappy products.

On another note, I still have not heard anything back from them. Maybe I should call tomorrow.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I noticed the scratches as well but I could careless. Its a phone so I would expect some wear and tear. I bought the incase to help grip.

A good way to compare the incase causing scratches is people that put car covers on their cars. Eventually the car will get scratches. Whether it be from the fabric or sand/dirt that gets trapped in the cover. Also hood covers to cars don't fully protect your hood.

Just don't use your phones if you are worried about scratches. Unless are affecting your signal. :eek:

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
I also found a good amount of scratches as a result of this POS case. I don't mind that as much as the fact that it had stretched out to such extremes that the phone almost slipped out of the cover.

This is my second cover because I had hoped that the first was a defect, but I spoke to some Apple employees at the local store and they have told me that they have a received a fair share of returns due to the stretching and scratching.

Buyer beware. :apple:

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Is Apple actually taking exchanges cause of the scratching? Its that really within spec?

My case doesn't show any problem with being loose. Curious as to how they are becoming loose for you guys.

RBilRamZ

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
Thanks for the heads up!

I bought an Incase today, bit took it off after seeing those pictures. I am posting this from my now naked iPhone. Looks like I have to wait for some better cases to come out.
Any body else notice that OTB the Invisibleshield and the one Apple sells both cover everything BUT the chrome part? WTF?

AceTracer

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Wow, I don't know what the hell you did to your iPhone that it could look like that after just four days. I've had my rubber Incase for longer than that and I just checked, there are absolutely no scratches on it. How does that even happen? What did you put your iPhone in? I don't think I could do that to my chrome if I even tried, you'd have to seriously be rubbing against that chrome.

There are definite cons to the case, it's too expensive for what you get and the case gets warped out of shape after removing the phone just a few times, but as far as cases go it's the only one I've seen that looks and works well with the phone.

And returning the phone because it has a couple scratches on it? Um, yeah, never buy an iPhone then, because Apple will not come out with a completely scratch proof device ever. Nor will anyone else. That's like saying you're switching to Windows because your Mac got nicked. It's going to take -a lot- more than that for me to return this phone.

Oh and for the record, I got my case after I -dropped- my iPhone on the brick foyer outside of my apartment building. Despite this, it only had one tiny scuff at the top of the brushed metal and a barely noticeable one on the side.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
The substandard quality of the chrome just sent me over the edge. The AT&T service in my area is poor and the call quality/volume is very poor.

When you couple those things together it made it an easy decision for me. I was willing to deal with the service issues and call volume/poor quality because I loved the phone as an internet device, but with such little usage and seeing the chrome detoriate I made my decision.

I am a big Apple supporter too, but the quality of these chrome pieces is disgraceful. Again I have owned 20-25 phones, I expect wear and tear through normal usage, but for what I have used this phone for these scratches sould not have occured. Just look at the pictures people are posting of their cased phones, the scratches that have appeared. Something is not right. The phone has only been out for about 10 days.

danny-bonaducci

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
Apple Store Return Policy?

Mine case is really streched out after only a very short time. I would like to return it, but I do not have the packaging or the receipt. I purchased it from an Apple store, will they take it back? Anyone have any experience with this?

jwa276

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Tonight I returned my case and exchanged my iPhone because I noticed that I had about 7 stuck pixels... Needless to say now I can forget about the case and I've got a fresh scratch free iPhone :) The people at the Apple Store were so nice about everything. I am incredibly impressed with the ease of getting my phone exchanged. :)

View

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
I guess it is just a chrome finish or something. I wish Apple had made the bezel out of stainless steel like my Nokia 8801. I have had that thing almost 2 years and it doesn't have one scratch on it. I keep it in the soft pouch it came in in my pocket but I'm sure that gets a bit of debris in it. I guess the difference is that the Incase is rubbing the debris against the bezel. For what it's worth I ordered a case from http://www.foofshop.com and I think that will work just great. It's only a soft bag to protect it in your pocket. Just slide it out to use it. I also got a Griffin Elan Snap In which can be used screen in or out and that will work in the meantime till my foofpod bag arrives or for when I want a holster.

i was gonna say the exact same thing. I had my 8801 for a long time and had 0 scratch! Why didnt apple use a better material, it makes me sad:(

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
What's interesting to me is that the actual photo of the product, at least on apple's site is incorrect--assuming i have the right model. And it clearly shows the bezel not being covered at all.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?spart=TN563LL/A

whereas here on the incase site it's a different story. Bezel completely covered. Do i have the wrong cases here?

http://goincase.com/products/detail/protective-cover-cl59019

Perhaps the images on the apple site are photoshopped pre-release mock ups.

jersey

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
I'm in the same situation. Incase has scratched the bezel. I've been removing the phone every other day in order to clean the case, so of course its stretched out now too.

I'd return it, but not sure what I'd get in its place.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
Ugh.

I'm having the same problem. Scratches along the chrome and my case stretching out where it no longer covers all of the chrome on either the bottom or top depending on which direction it is pushed.

jwa276

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
This case is terrible. I would recommend at least returning it while you still can so incase doesn't keep making money from them. Maybe once they see how many people are returning them, they will pay attention to the complaints?

I'm glad to be done with this case. ;)

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
I live an hour away from an Apple store. Would I be able to call them and return this through the mail?

I'm kind of like the guy above, though. I wouldn't know what to get to replace it.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

Anybody know if the bezel is actually metal or plastic? I watched the will it blend video and noticed what appeared to be a mangled bezel frame. If it is indeed metal then it should easily be buffed out shouldn't it?

SteveM8

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
I had mine 2 days and returned it.

I didn't have it long enough to get scratches but the case stretched out after removing the phone a couple times. This case is worthless IMO, and I bought two and returned them both. The apple store told me they were getting a TON of these back as returns. Hopefully Incase will stop selling these and make a new version.

They scratch and stretch out.

I tried 5 cases and ended up with the incase hip case. I really do not like ANY of the current cases but the DLO hip case was good as is the iNcase hip case. Also tried the Elan holster (not enough protection, didnt like clip) , case mate premium case (horrible clip), incase leather case (did not fit well), Speck toughskin (attracted lint and belt holster did not secure phone good), and finally the INcase hip case, which I kept.

Im looking at some online options and there are a few that look really good, but not shipping just yet.

Does the perfect case exist?? Hopefully Iskin will release theirs soon.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
Sign me up on the list of folks with a jacked up phone from this case.

Got it Sunday and took it out today for the first time to clean. The bezel is totally jacked, and there is a good section on the back that is rubbed raw.

Very pissed

Lurker

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2003
Well, my 4 day old red Incase rubber sleeve has started to stretch out (after removing and re-inserting the iPhone a total of twice in the last 4 days).
My black Incase rubber sleeve arrived via Fedex yesterday (have not tried it yet).

After reading this thread, seeing the stretching first hand and not wanting to risk getting scratches (none yet), these are both going back tomorrow.
Pity, though, the iPhone feels better w/ a rubberized sleeve, IMO :(

Incase = close but not quite perfect =NOcase

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Use the Incase until your demos are over and switch to a slipcase

My theory is that certain lawyers lacking something to do before lunch will all buy iPhones and jam the courts with trivial class action lawsuits over SOMETHING until the cows come home.

Oh, right, I forgot... I think those lawyers are busy trying to ban cows because of all that methane gas they emit. Talk about stones thrown from glass houses.

I do have an Incase, the black one. Maybe it's just if you store your Incased-iPhone in a gritty environment you end up with a problem, like failing to use common sense for instance. So far I'm ok with my Incase. I totally love the swirly stuff on the back that looks like a topo map of the hills around here. The Incase makes the iPhone nice and grippy for those parking lot demos to your friends...

Most likely when I'm not constantly letting other people handle my iPhone, I'll just use a slipcase. I love the design of the iPhone and want to let it speak for its uncluttered skinny self. I discovered that some original firewire iPod's slipcase, maybe it was my U2 one, more or less fits the iPhone. It was maybe a tiny tad short but it worked ok while I waited for my iPhone case orders.

For iPhone slipcases, I got the Griffin Elan and a Zuluworks Daytripper, and like them both. Or I'd like a hybrid of them both. They'll take turns on my iPhone.

I love the Zuluworks one for the center buttom cutout, the homey material of the outside part, and the color choices they offered. The coffee-lavender was my pick and it's perfectly me!

The Elan fits a bit more snugly but lacks Zuluworks' center bottom cutout. Over time the fit may ease on it. The Elan feels considerably more compact in the hand because the beltclip is relatively more flush to the case than the Zuluworks one. I think this is because the beltclip on the Elan is made to come out and be repositioned in one of two slots on the back instead of being rotated. This helps it protrude a lot less.

The Zuluworks beltclip, however, looks as if it would be quite a bit more secure in actual use. That's some serious clip pressure under a standard-width belt.

Personally I'm not a fan of clips anyway and usually take them off and leave them off. The Elan clip is flush enough I'll probably leave it on. The Daytripper I would actually trust for use and do have to leave on. For me, that's a ratings tossup.

As for ornamental ratings: the imprints on the leather of the Elan case add elegance (or funk, take your pick). But I'm not 100% charmed by the Griffin stamp on the front. It's so 20th-century. The Zuluworks one has that cute logo treatment on the front that looks like a snap and makes people ask what it's for... I tell them its for the laser transporter attachment. Apple has already beamed me up and I ain't comin' down so I don't actually need that transporter...

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
in case you're going to incase....don't.

Well I made the plunge and checked my phone out even though it hasn't been in any pocket for any longer than an hour or two since purchasing it two weeks ago and I've seriously babied the iphone. I won't be putting the incase sleeve back on. The scratches were starting but I took it out in time. I'm annoyed because it is just a phone and it will get wear and tear but it feels very odd to put it into a sleeve only to damage it right out of the gate.

left

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
where does it say it is not suppose to be scratched up? when was the last time you bought a pair of shoes that didn't crease in less than 4 days?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.