Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiggiePhat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
My S5 is EATING through battery. I took it off the charger around 7am EST and 5 hours later I have 35% left. My battery health is 86%

• Wow
Reactions: xDKP

srknpower

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
Have you noticed any new features which weren’t announced? For example are there any health-related features other than eye and mental health-related ones? I wonder if daylight time works well.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I was hoping they would make it easier to distinguish between what music is on the watch and the phone.

It's a pain, and several screens, to navigate to downloaded and then start to navigate though them.
I agree, I am looking forward to using the new Music layout at the gym tomorrow. It's always a chore getting the watch off my phone, navigating to the playlist, selecting my Airpod Pro's. It should be easier.

I have also found that on 9, even if you set a workout to launch music when you launch the workout, it only works if it's playing from your phone.

I don't carry my phone around with me at the gym.

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
I agree, I am looking forward to using the new Music layout at the gym tomorrow. It's always a chore getting the watch off my phone, navigating to the playlist, selecting my Airpod Pro's. It should be easier.

I have also found that on 9, even if you set a workout to launch music when you launch the workout, it only works if it's playing from your phone.

I don't carry my phone around me at the gym.
Same! One of the reasons I got the AWU was so I could run without having my phone with me. Having immediate access to my on watch playlists would be very helpful.

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
My observation on Apple Watch Ultra:
1) Clockfaces seems to smaller to me.
2) I hated new shortcuts with buttons etc.
3) Taping on weather complication with temperature or condition no logner open that in Weather app - condition, temperature or rain percentage is remembered.
4) I can't get rid of Tips in that new screen accessible by crown.
5) Battery seems to be same like on watchOS 9
6) New updated workout app

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Overall I like the new UI on the ultra, bigger back buttons and UI in iMessage looks far nicer. Since the original watch in 2015 I had my icons arranged in an X pattern so certain categories like music, shipping etc were on each corner of the X for easy locating now that's impossible and your forced into a grid layout that only goes up and down.

I really miss bringing up the control center from the bottom and now forced to tap the side button. Biggest bug for me is in the redesigned home app which I love, looks far cleaner but the climate page is empty and doesn't show any temperature/humidity sensors when there should be lots in there. Works fine on the iPhone on iOS 17 so it's just buggy on the watch in this beta unfortunately.

Overall though I love the refreshed UI and battery life seems to be the same as version 9 so far.

Reactions: Reggaenald

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I am missing the Dock. There is no more dock or maybe they are working on it. This is where you would hit the side button and you could have all the apps you used most recently on top.

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems the only way to, for example, read messages is to scroll down to messages in the app list and select it.

Yeah, I think I am going to miss Dock.

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
I am missing the Dock. There is no more dock or maybe they are working on it. This is where you would hit the side button and you could have all the apps you used most recently on top.
I hope this is just a temporary beta thing. It also had the useful feature of surfacing whichever app was playing audio to the top so you could quickly play/pause/etc. They also removed the Now Playing complication (since they moved that functionality to the Dock), so without the Dock and without that complication getting to whichever app is playing audio seems a lot more difficult.

Reactions: LarryJoe33

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I was wondering about this.

So now you can only select night mode from the phone? There isn't a way to do it directly from the watch?

If thats the case, that's really sad.
Haven't found a way. I used the wheel often to turn it on/off. Seems like a swipe or tap would be in order now.
At first I was upset about this, Wayfinder is my favorite face. But I found you can switch it on the watch by editing the face. You can turn it on, off, or set it to auto. The auto works pretty well so far, appears to function based on ambient light.

1686076770092.png

jwehman1

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2014
Anyone else’s sunrise/sunset complication displaying data for Cupertino but in the local time
I'm not sure if this is what you mean...but my "Sunset" time is showing 9:26pm, which is Pacific Standard time, and I'm in Mountain. When I go to the Sunrise/Sunset app, it shows the correct sunset time. Kinda annoying, but I know it's Beta 1...and it'll be fixed I'm sure on the next drop.

Reactions: bowens

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
At first I was upset about this, Wayfinder is my favorite face. But I found you can switch it on the watch by editing the face. You can turn it on, off, or set it to auto. The auto works pretty well so far, appears to function based on ambient light.

View attachment 2213985
That's good to know as I use it as my evening focus mode. My phone goes all red too until I put it in sleep mode.

It always stays in night mode if that's how I left it. Only time I need to re-engage is if my watch reboots.

Hopefully I can leave it on all the time and it wont be an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.