Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
I am missing the Dock. There is no more dock or maybe they are working on it. This is where you would hit the side button and you could have all the apps you used most recently on top.

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems the only way to, for example, read messages is to scroll down to messages in the app list and select it.

Yeah, I think I am going to miss Dock.

Double click the crown.

Reactions: LarryJoe33

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
Not exactly. A push on the digital crown brings up your app cluster or alphabetical list of apps. Same as before. A spin of the Crown brings up these new widgets that so far seem to have no relevance to any apps you were using. The side button below the crown is where the issue is. That used to bring up the "dock", now it brings up control center. So no dock so far which means going to Music or Messages or Inbox is kind of a PIA.

Double clicking the crown (at least on the Ultra) brings up the dock.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Try quickly double-pressing on the digital crown...it's not an exact replacement for the dock, I don't think, but it does allow you to quickly get back to the apps you've already opened.
So is this effectively the equivalent of iPhone App Switcher? ie does it show a long list of all previously opened apps? Or is it limited to 10 or so!

Can someone show a screenshot of you get back to a running app like music/podcast/playing now or even an active Workout?

Can you edit the metrics screens of a workout from the phone or do you have to do it on the watch like since watchos9?

Thanks in advance!

mmacrumor

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Sydney
Tips widget just disappeared for me. With widgets accessible from crown. I am planning on using full screen watch faces. Never used a watch face that don’t have complications, I always need 4 complications minimum in my watch face, now with widgets I can live with full screen watch face.

sashavegas

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2018
I went to my phone and under watch -> software update, selected beta 10, but now every time i am trying to unselect it, it show message "update iPhone First" and if i cancel, it return to main screen (General), not allowing me to unselect beta 10 from software update.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Siri watch face is still there, when you're using it you can't access the Smart Stack.

If you double click the Digital Crown, which in watchOS 9 and earlier would take you to the last used app, it now brings up a modified Dock. App labels are missing, most recent apps are at the bottom of the screen instead of the top, Now Playing/media apps no longer go to the end for quick access. Crown scrolling is broken when you first open it and tries to scroll horizontally, but after you scroll it up by touching the screen it works again.

View attachment 2214133

Nice, thanks for the tip on double clicking the crown. I had no idea it did this or I just forgot because I didn’t need it. Definitely a solid workaround for the missing dock.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

j0nblayz

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
Running watch os 10 beta on my Apple Watch 4 SBSS, and wow very surprised how much faster the watch feels now.

Initially after the install had few gui glitches but seems to be generally stable now. One issue I have is that my new messages count on my home face seems to be not refreshing. Gonna restart here and see if it resets the count. Other than that, running smooth :)

Reactions: ErikGrim

kecinzer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Czech republic
Anyone else’s sunrise/sunset complication displaying data for Cupertino but in the local time
Yes, It shows completly wrong data for me.

BTW. there is bigger battery consumption I think. I ran today for 21,5 km with AirPods and listening to offline music and battery goes down by 33%.

• Wow
Reactions: surfzen21

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
Installed it on my Ultra yesterday evening, battery life took a small hit but it has been less than 24 hours, so let's see with more time.

Like it so far, only thing that is annoying is the fact you can't swipe through the faces anymore, hopefully it will come back in a later beta, I can't see why they would remove that feature.

I love the auto night mode on the Ultra based on ambient light now, I was wondering why it wasn't there in the first place when I bought the Ultra.

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
I have to admit that watchOS 10 is a little bit laggier that iOS 17, especially when scrolling. However, I think for a daily basis the performance and battery are okay. I disconnected my Ultra from the charger at 5 am, now at around 11 am I got 92% left.

Although, no activities/apps used.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
First day at the gym with the Ultra and 10. I use the latest AirPod Pros. Definitely a little glitchy and cluttered. Handoff from the phone to the watch to play music was poor and took some time. I don’t carry my phone around the gym. It stays in the locker. Took a while to get Music to play from the watch but I figured it out about four menus deep. I’m honestly not sure shuffle is working. Surprisingly, Spotify was much easier to get going, if only I’d sounded as good as Apple Music. I can deal with this. As long as I have music I can’t battle out the beta trials and tribulations.

Last edited:
Reactions: surfzen21

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012
So is it right that with the new update it removes the scrolling functionality from watch faces that had it to accommodate the new widget access? Like the Solar Dial etc.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
So is it right that with the new update it removes the scrolling functionality from watch faces that had it to accommodate the new widget access? Like the Solar Dial etc.

I’m honestly not sure what people are referring to on scrolling through watch faces. When I long press my current face, I can scroll left and right and select a different face just as before.

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Personally I’m glad swiping watch faces without holding first is gone because while it’s pretty rare I have had accidental swipes somehow which is annoying when it happens. If they bring it back as something I can toggle on or off then great for those who like it but for me I love the change.

mmacrumor

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Sydney
Spotify is broken with watch is 10. Songs stream 2 tracks then just stops. Doesn’t work with Music controls in workout app couldn’t skip or forward tracks if music is streaming via Spotify.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Spotify is broken with watch is 10. Songs stream 2 tracks then just stops. Doesn’t work with Music controls in workout app couldn’t skip or forward tracks if music is streaming via Spotify.
Hmmm...it was working fine for me this morning on my Ultra. What watch are you using?

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Swipe up from the bottom of the watch face brings up widgets, the same exact thing as spinning the crown. I am sure they are working on eliminating redundancy and adding functionality.

Reactions: xgman and surfzen21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.