Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davethorp

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Preston, Lancashire, UK
I'm not sure if this is what you mean...but my "Sunset" time is showing 9:26pm, which is Pacific Standard time, and I'm in Mountain. When I go to the Sunrise/Sunset app, it shows the correct sunset time. Kinda annoying, but I know it's Beta 1...and it'll be fixed I'm sure on the next drop.

Sounds like the same problem. Though in my case I’m currently on Spanish time and it’s skipped sunset completely and is telling me sunrise is at 14:47 tomorrow afternoon. Bit odd but only major bug I’ve seen so far on both watch and phone. Chance it may resolve itself but if not I’ve reported through the feedback and like you say I’d expect a fix come beta 2

Reactions: curdy

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Glad I'm not the only on not being able to remove the bloody Tips widget.

Nice they changed the grid app view to be scroll, rather than having to zoom, much easier to view apps.
I managed to remove it by deleting the Tips app. Then rebooting the watch. The tips widget was gone after that.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
So basically, the Dock has been replaced by the Digital Crown to access frequent apps?
Not exactly. A push on the digital crown brings up your app cluster or alphabetical list of apps. Same as before. A spin of the Crown brings up these new widgets that so far seem to have no relevance to any apps you were using. The side button below the crown is where the issue is. That used to bring up the "dock", now it brings up control center. So no dock so far which means going to Music or Messages or Inbox is kind of a PIA.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I didn't delete tips app, but today when I booted my watch they are gone.. at least for the moment.

So is there any way to close open apps like before? I haven't found a way to actually exit apps.

Swiping up does the same thing as turning the crown from your watchface. So it seems to me that the function of turning the crown to do things like the wayfinder night mode should be put back, or at least some other useful function. As it is now it's redundant.

marchrose2011

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
USA
My battery life seems to be pretty bad today. I just downloaded the beta this morning and when I put it on this morning my battery was at 100 and its already down to 51

quarq

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
I have a power meter on my bike.. Gave it a test and it found left and right crank arms, shows power and can mirror to my phone. Brilliant idea to do this. This will save iPhone battery as it doesn't have to manage more bluetooth connections to the power meters and heart rate monitor instead offloading this to the watch. As someone who has an app in the AppStore that mimics a bike computer including support for all power meters and heart rate monitors and cadence sensors, this new feature from Apple essentially sherlocks my app. But, I am OK with this. This now turns the Apple Watch into an even more serious fitness app. Really liking the direction Apple is taking here.

Next up is better organizing health data to something useful. Right now it's basically a dump of all data. But, they are going in this direction it appears.

If I was Garmin, I'd be worried. Especially since from the scientific studies I have seen, the Apple Watch ranks considerable higher then Garmin in capturing accurate HRM data and Sleep data as when compared to lab devices.

...even if it does kill my app. ;-)

OCS12

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Sheboygan, WI USA
My battery life seems to be pretty bad today. I just downloaded the beta this morning and when I put it on this morning my battery was at 100 and its already down to 51
That’s normal. Pretty much every iDevice gets battery hungry for a little while after a big update. My Ultra ate about 20% of its charge this morning in the first three hours after upgrading. That’s normally a whole day’s usage on a weekday. In the ten hours since, it’s only used another 10%, so it seems to have settled back into its happy place.

Lena85

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
I too was frustrated about not being able to remove the tips either, Grrrrrr

Other thing I’ve noticed is swiping between faces doesn’t work. You seem to have to long press to edit and then swipe across. Annoying.
Okay, good. Not just me! Been driving me nuts lol.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Is the Siri watch face still on? If yes, how does it integrate with the new stacks?
Siri watch face is still there, when you're using it you can't access the Smart Stack.

Not exactly. A push on the digital crown brings up your app cluster or alphabetical list of apps. Same as before. A spin of the Crown brings up these new widgets that so far seem to have no relevance to any apps you were using. The side button below the crown is where the issue is. That used to bring up the "dock", now it brings up control center. So no dock so far which means going to Music or Messages or Inbox is kind of a PIA.
If you double click the Digital Crown, which in watchOS 9 and earlier would take you to the last used app, it now brings up a modified Dock. App labels are missing, most recent apps are at the bottom of the screen instead of the top, Now Playing/media apps no longer go to the end for quick access. Crown scrolling is broken when you first open it and tries to scroll horizontally, but after you scroll it up by touching the screen it works again.

1686088635769.png

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
Glad I'm not the only on not being able to remove the bloody Tips widget.

Nice they changed the grid app view to be scroll, rather than having to zoom, much easier to view apps.
Remove the “Tips” app and the widget will disappear

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
While waiting for the public beta, may I ask - could anyone please check the Running workout configuration? In particular - when editing Pace alerts, is it still 10s steps (as in WatchOS 9) or is it now more granular? Thanks!
Looks like 1 second steps to me.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
Wait really? 😳😍 That would be amazing. So you can e.g. define an Open Run and set the alert for any range, such as 5:25-5:38/km or whatever value? Yay!
If I understand your question: yes, that seems to be the case.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Can anyone download a Beta version?
Yes, anyone can get the developer beta. Just go to developer.apple.com and sign in with your Apple ID to make it a developer account (you don't need to pay $99 to join the actual developer program.) Then go to Software Update settings and select the iOS 17 Developer Beta channel.

Reactions: xgman and zecanard

kylew1212

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2017
Huntsville, AL
I have a power meter on my bike.. Gave it a test and it found left and right crank arms, shows power and can mirror to my phone. Brilliant idea to do this. This will save iPhone battery as it doesn't have to manage more bluetooth connections to the power meters and heart rate monitor instead offloading this to the watch. As someone who has an app in the AppStore that mimics a bike computer including support for all power meters and heart rate monitors and cadence sensors, this new feature from Apple essentially sherlocks my app. But, I am OK with this. This now turns the Apple Watch into an even more serious fitness app. Really liking the direction Apple is taking here.

Next up is better organizing health data to something useful. Right now it's basically a dump of all data. But, they are going in this direction it appears.

If I was Garmin, I'd be worried. Especially since from the scientific studies I have seen, the Apple Watch ranks considerable higher then Garmin in capturing accurate HRM data and Sleep data as when compared to lab devices.

...even if it does kill my app. ;-)
What data did the workout save to health? Really curious if cadence, and the L/R power was saved or if it’s a combined power.
I don’t even have a power meter.. but might one day 😁

eeewing

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2015
Grove City, OH

Try quickly double-pressing on the digital crown...it's not an exact replacement for the dock, I don't think, but it does allow you to quickly get back to the apps you've already opened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.