Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I’m on a SS S8, which has sentimental value for me.

I don’t consider the S9 to be a worthy upgrade, so I’m staying with my S8.

I wouldn’t let my S8 go, because of the aforementioned sentimental value, but I may upgrade to the S10, if it’s a new design.

How about you?

Reactions: Howard2k

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
S9 and it was 100% worth it for me for on-device Siri and double tap.

Kept the last one for two years but I'm hoping I won't be able to resist the watch they'll do for the ten year anniversary this year.

Reactions: Glideslope

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I currently own a SS series 9 bought on launch day to replace an aluminum series 5 with a battery struggling to make it through the day after the iOS17/watchOS10 release. I've been reading that many features teased for the 10th anniversary edition (e.g., micro-LED display, BP monitor, glucose monitor, sleep apnea detection) may not be ready in time, and even if they are, would probably not be compelling enough to get to upgrade my one year old watch. That said, if the new design is drop-dead gorgeous, or if there is a revolutionary improvement in battery life I reserve the right to back-pedal on this statement and buy one. 😁

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Nice reading everyone’s replies.

I think anything older than an S7 is worth an upgrade.

“Upgrading” from an S7 or S8 is pretty pointless.

Also, as stated in my original post, my SS S8 holds sentimental value.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

srknpower

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2016
I am using a Series 8 and i will replace my watch with a new one when a new health sensor comes up. I think Series X will be the one with Blood Press Monitoring.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I upgraded this year. The turning point for me was that the Series 5 battery could not make a full day. Rather than change batteries, I decided to upgrade to an Ultra 2. The decision was based partly on the features and batteries, and partly that it felt more like an upgrade than going to a watch that looks just the same as all the previous Apple watches I have had.

Very happy with the upgrade, so I will probably go another 2-3 years before another.

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
I have an s5, so I have my always on display :). If I wake up at 7am, it is dead by 8pm if I don’t do anything expect look at the time and notifications. (76% battery health) it does everything I need and may get the battery replaced. The s10 would have to be pretty amazing to get me excited to replace it.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

I wouldn’t let my S8 go, because of the aforementioned sentimental value, but I may upgrade to the S10, if it’s a new design.

How about you?
AW Ultra 1. I far prefer it to my previous AWs. I really love the AW Ultra 1 as is, so Apple will need to do something especially compelling (more than better battery, which is already fine) to get me to upgrade.

Reactions: xDKP

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

How about you?
I do not get why anyone likes AW "but I may upgrade to the S10, if it’s a new design." I like the AW Ultra so much that I do not seek a new design.

Reactions: arkitect

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
S7 here. I actually got a S9 and returned it because the experience felt 100% the same. I’ll most likely replace the battery this year and keep it another, but I’m opening to seeing what the S10 brings us.

targa88

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2021
S5 - works fine. Battery replacement was done about two years ago.
None of the recent iterations have inspired me to buy something newer.
I would rather prefer that Apple would improve the battery life (comparable to Garmin for example) rather than add additional sensors/features.

Reactions: histeachn81

hotr32

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2009
PA
Series 5 Ceramic, (2) Series 7 Titanium, Ultra1, and Ultra 2, will have to wait and see about Series 10, I would have to get rid of one my watches to make room for the Series 10, but no real reason to upgrade any unless Series 10 has some crazy things.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Ultra 1. I’ll upgrade to the Ultra 3 or Ultra 4. I like the on device Siri of the Ultra 2 but got the Ultra 1 on a Black Friday sale so the extra dollars (for Ultra 2) didn’t make sense. Or perhaps I’ll end up getting an Ultra 2 next BF.

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
S7 here. Battery 94%.
Last year I cancelled the S9 ´cause of swipe disaster.
Waiting for the 10 with new design. If not, going Ultra 2 (3?).

histeachn81

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2015
S5. It is perhaps the device I think the least about upgrading. I still have AppleCare on it and got it replaced after an accidental crack a year ago, so the battery is new too. I’ll probably wait until replacing the battery a second time before thinking about a new one.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020

How about you?
Series 6 on 80% battery health. Going to get the battery replaced (and glass as its dinged up) and keep using it.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Rocking a Series 8 as well,

Will upgrade once:
1. L5 GPS comes to the standard model, or I am getting a Garmin soon
2. Better Battery comes to the standard model, and I mean at least 3 days better, as for my use case with running, it doesn't last the entire day, or I am getting a Garmin soon.

I am NOT going to upgrade to a new Apple Watch unless one or both of those things come to an Apple Watch, even if it dies.

• Haha
Reactions: jdavid_rp

Rahul Ingle

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2024
I Am Currently Using Apple Watch Series 6 And I Am Planning To Jump To Apple Watch Ultra 2. Is this a good descision?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.