Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
SS S7 Hermes and Ultra 2.

S7 on 82% battery, was going to upgrade that, but will wait until it drops to 79% and replace the battery.

Probably keep the U2 until the U4 at least.

The S10 would have to be really special for me to replace either of my watches.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Series 1 .
Wasn't planning upgrade, yet I like 'idea' of ECG type scan.
Series 9 in u.k. is becoming very affordable ahead of series x.
I did upgrade iPhone to x -not convinced then it it deserved the hype at the time.
Maybe I need to post to request positives/negatives Series 9.

thanks

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I've been upgrading every other year, using the Apple trade-in to offset the cost. Right now I'm on an S8. If I stick to my previous pattern, I should upgrade to an S10, but there are two things that may hold me back.

One is my iPhone is too old to upgrade to the latest iOS, so I'd need a new iPhone in order to have one that works with an S10. Second is I don't like the changes they made with Watch OS 10. So if the issues I have with Watch OS 10 aren't improved in wOS 11, I'd be less motivated to upgrade.

Otoh, there are features I want, like a temperature sensor that can take temperature on demand rather than being tied to sleep times, and the flat screen of the Ultra on a smaller size watch. If those features come to S10, I'd be motivated to upgrade.

Basically, I'm in a wait and see mode right now, and won't make a decision until new OS and hardware features are revealed.

Reactions: Howard2k

Larsvonhier

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2016
Germany, Black Forest
S4 with wOS10 (and the resulting battery drawbacks). Was great and sufficient for my needs until wOS9.
Will replace it when some more vital monitoring functions will be added in S10 or later...

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Ultra 2. Won’t be updating for a year or two. We will see what the new Apple Watches look like, there are going to be some changes.

Reactions: arkitect

Jonas Silver

macrumors member
May 24, 2020
Far South
Rocking a Series 8 as well,

Will upgrade once:
1. L5 GPS comes to the standard model, or I am getting a Garmin soon
2. Better Battery comes to the standard model, and I mean at least 3 days better, as for my use case with running, it doesn't last the entire day, or I am getting a Garmin soon.

I am NOT going to upgrade to a new Apple Watch unless one or both of those things come to an Apple Watch, even if it dies.
What is a L5 GPS?

knirirr

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
Oxford
Series 5. A newer one will only be purchased if, contrary to expectations, the next iPhone SE still has Touch ID.

Godspeed8230

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2021
Just upgraded to a Series 9 from a Series 3 for the sole reason of a lot of apps no longer being supported by the old watchOS, most notably Audible and Nike Run Club (my two go-to apps).

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Series 1 .
Wasn't planning upgrade, yet I like 'idea' of ECG type scan.
Series 9 in u.k. is becoming very affordable ahead of series x.
I did upgrade iPhone to x -not convinced then it it deserved the hype at the time.
Maybe I need to post to request positives/negatives Series 9.

thanks
I would think there would be a lot of positives upgrading from a series 1. I’d do it just for the size of the screen. I loved when it moved from that little square to a larger screen. That plus the always on display, and other features seem like it would be a worthwhile jump.

jdavid_rp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2020
I think mine is an S6, I would upgrade this year if the Watch has a redesign, but like 6 months later on a good sale

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Right now using an Ultra 2.

This is the 1st Apple Watch I did not return after a few days of use.

I actually like the design — even though I was sceptical when the AWU1 was released…

It actually feels closer to my mechanical vintage watches than the black glass slabs.

Still not quite sure that it is life changing or very useful… but heh.
Nice bit of tech.

Ameer_1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2023
Boca Raton, Florida
I'm on the 9 Series Cellular 41mm. I bought this in December since it was on sale for only $379 at Walmart. I'm going to try and sell my watch each year as long as I get the money back which is why I don't buy the watch launch day since it's not worth it.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Ultra 2, upgraded from Ultra 1 for the main reason Apple up'd their trade-in value for the Ultra.
I have a S7 Ti that now I use for sleep tracking every other night when the Ultra is being charged, battery health is at 85%, AC+ for another 11 months.
I still have my S4 SBSS, was replaced under AC+ like 2 years ago, it's pristine, battery health last time I checked was 95%. I don't use it anymore but it would be perfect for sleep tracking for me.

I will take a look come September what the Ultra 3 will have to offer, what the trade-in for Ultra 2 will be and then make a decision if it is worth upgrading or not.

I'd consider selling my S7 for the "right" price and then use my S4 for sleep tracking every other day. I plan on keeping my S4 as it basically has no value anymore

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
What is a L5 GPS?

Dual band GPS = more accuracy. Important for tracking distance when walking/running/cycling etc.

From Apple’s Watch Ultra page:

The GPS dilemma.​

For most people, a traditional GPS solution with just L1 GPS works well most of the time. But it can be tricky when tall buildings, trees, or dense foliage block satellites. The newer L5 GPS enables advanced signal processing, reducing many errors and providing a more consistent signal in environments like dense cities.

Precision dual‑frequency GPS​

L1 and L5 GPS for incredible accuracy and precise metrics

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Aluminum S9 45mm midnight black. I’ll upgrade to the S10 Ultra as soon as it comes out, or the S10 if there is no S10 Ultra. I’ll give the S9 to my sister (and an iPhone SE or whatever the cheapest iPhone is and make her throw the Samsung S20 I gave her into the garbage).

Reason for upgrading less than a year after picking up my first AW - I’m older and my eyes are getting squinty.But I’m not sure my sister could handle moving away from Android (the only reason she bought a Samsung S10(??) was because of the price.

Honestly, until I had an AW on my wrist I wasn’t aware of just how much I could do with it.

Tom

Last edited:

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
S6. Want to get an additional watch this year. I’ll keep the S6 for sleep tracking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.